IGNORED

Replace the stock RT seat?

Lmar

My odometer reads 3500 km on my RT and my a$$ hurts. I thought I would get used to the seat, but it seems like it is going to be a struggle. In 36 years of riding, the RT seat is probably the most uncomfortable seat I have ridden on.

Three weeks ago I bought an Alaska Sheepskin cover and that helped a bit. I put a piece of styrofoam under the sheepskin, not much different. Today I purchased a small self inflating pillow that fits neatly under the sheepskin. I will try it out and see if it helps. I'm not sure what it is with the seat, but it sure causes me some discomfort.

In 2 weeks I am off to Arizona. The trip from Alberta will be close to 2000 miles. I'm not sure my a$$ can take it. I will have to stop more often to give my a$$ a break and take a few iboprofen.

I am planning to get a new saddle this winter. With the short riding season we have here and the cold spring to date, I don't want to lose a month waiting for a new seat.

There is the Rick Mayer Saddle, the Bill Mayer Saddle, Corbin, Sargant and the Russell Day long. How the hell do you know which one to pick?

Allen Rowand

I've been thinking about the same thing; I'm good for an hour and a half, but after that I start to hurt. I just bought the supplies to shim the seat adjuster today; if that's not enough I may send the seat off to Spencer to get modded. I'd rather try a couple cheaper options before dropping real money on a custom. I'll post back once I do the shimming- I hope to take it on a test ride Tuesday.

Best,

Allen

There are lots of threads on this topic, and we all have our opinions. I was like you, the stock seat kept me sliding forward and I would end up sitting on the boys and very uncomfortable. One hour was the max. Now I have a Corbin and I can ride for 2 hours without stopping. It is quite a bit better. I have also started stretching my legs out for a minute or so and that helps, and I stand up occasionally. Everything helps. BUT, you'll get no consensus on which seat to buy!!!

Before you spend $600+ on a seat, try one of these for $40 http://www.beadrider.com/ I've spent 20+ hours in the same stock seat with the BR on it - before the BR, about 2 hours was my limit. I've reviewed the same for Motorcycle Consumer News and it was one of my "holiday picks" - a truly functional product, even though the seat now looks like a New York cabbie's. But, since my ass is on the seat when I'm riding, I don't care what it looks like. http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcnholiday2007.pdf

-MKL

I've heard good things about Rich's Custom Seats near Seattle. Maybe you could arrange a ride-in appointment there if they're not too ridiculously far off your planned route to AZ.

Before you spend $600+ on a seat, try one of these for $40 http://www.beadrider.com/ I've spent 20+ hours in the same stock seat with the BR on it - before the BR, about 2 hours was my limit. I've reviewed the same for Motorcycle Consumer News and it was one of my "holiday picks" - a truly functional product, even though the seat now looks like a New York cabbie's. But, since my ass is on the seat when I'm riding, I don't care what it looks like. http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcnholiday2007.pdf

-MKL

Don't waste your money on a beadrider unless your idea of comfort is sitting on a bed of nails. I doubt it will help much on a R1200RT. Probably the best "bang for the buck" is an AirHawk cushion.

Their backlog may have increased since then but I had a Bill Mayer saddle made last month. The turn around time was ten days - sent it out on a Friday and had it back on a Monday.

I had a BMW uncomfort seat, it was terrible. Got a Corbin, better but very hard. Tried an Airhawk, sold it on ebay. Went to a Rick Mayer custom seat, best yet, but at my size I believe the Russell Day long would be my next step.

Now on Moshe's comments, My son went to a Sargent seat and found it better but still a PITA. On advice from a long distance rider, he tried a BEADRIDER for about $35 and loves it. Everybody's butt is different but $35 is a cheap thing to try before shelling out big bucks on a custom seat. My opinion :lurk:

When I was searching the forums about saddles the conclusion that I came to was if you are a heavy person a Russell is a must. If you are no so heavy a Mayer seat will work-less wait and less cost. I could only run my bike for 1.5 hours with the stock seat before I needed to stretch. I sent them away to Rocky and now I need fuel before I need to take a break. My wife also found her seat to be uncomfortable, she would slide into me when we were braking for corners. Now she stays put and finds her butt is not sore either. We can ride for hours at a time without needing any breaks now. I am 170 lbs and Rocky's seat works perfectly for me. I sent the seats out and had them back in 11 days.

We just got an 96 1100RT with a Rusell Daylong. Comfy seat, lots of room and suport to te sides. This is my wifes bike and she is happy with it "it just feels right" but I find it pushes me ahead and I end up sitting with my back arched somehow. Cheri is 5'10" the previous owner was the same hiegth and I am 6'2". I think I read somwhere that Russel takes your size and then makes the seat, something to be carefull with. If your near Calgary you could try Alberta Seat Cover on 12th St NE, had them make a backrest for a trunk a few years ago and the seemed to know what they where doing and had several bike seats on the bench.

Arizona in June! Maybe save that trip for next winter and take Sailorlite's idea and swing out to the coast.

Don't waste your money on a beadrider unless your idea of comfort is sitting on a bed of nails. I doubt it will help much on a R1200RT. Probably the best "bang for the buck" is an AirHawk cushion.....

Don't waste your money on an AirHawk cushion. ;) You'll never feel connected to your bike in the twisties, and I tried air pressures all over the map.

Not a hit to Dave's comment, it's just that it really is different strokes for different folks. Lots of riders love the Airhawk. I hated it. You really need to try before you buy, because "butts be different".

I'd suggest first trying a free fix/change by cutting down the rear bumpers below your present seat about 1/4"-3/8 ". Take off a little at a time using a sharp knife. You can always take off more later. That will significantly help the forward lean of the seat, and may really help your comfort. If not, nothing but 10 minutes of time lost.

My 2 cents:

I've got Sargents now on three different bikes, now including my favorite bike, the RT, and its still my favorite seat.

I've got a skinny butt, 160 lbs, which probably makes a difference.

I held off on the Sargent for the RT because of cost, and finally bought a lightly used one, and am glad i did. Huge improvement over the BMW "comfort" seat, though i think if i had a wider butt i might like that BMW comfort seat more, since it is definitely wider and firmer... I sink into the Sargent seat a bit, which is just right for me, but might be bad if i was heavier.

I also ride further back in the seat, naturally, which is also ideal for me, as i have long arms, and don't like crushing the "boys'.

FWIW, when I had an 1150RT I replaced the "comfort" seat with a Cee Bailey's seat - which was a major improvement. Now, having the 1200RT, I'm quite comfortable on the factory seat. The point of this is that there seems to be a different comfort/discomfort issue with the OP's 1200RT than with other's 1150RT's. While I'm somewhat surprised that his 1200RT is uncomfortable, I'm not sure that an 1150RT solution would apply. It seems to me that a discussion with an experienced BMW custom seat maker could be worthwhile.

Someone sent me a PM regarding this post and a Corbin seat for sale, it disappeared. I'm not sure what I did?

I didn't get a chance to reply. Sorry.

AdventurePoser
My odometer reads 3500 km on my RT and my a$$ hurts. I thought I would get used to the seat, but it seems like it is going to be a struggle. In 36 years of riding, the RT seat is probably the most uncomfortable seat I have ridden on.

Three weeks ago I bought an Alaska Sheepskin cover and that helped a bit. I put a piece of styrofoam under the sheepskin, not much different. Today I purchased a small self inflating pillow that fits neatly under the sheepskin. I will try it out and see if it helps. I'm not sure what it is with the seat, but it sure causes me some discomfort.

In 2 weeks I am off to Arizona. The trip from Alberta will be close to 2000 miles. I'm not sure my a$$ can take it. I will have to stop more often to give my a$$ a break and take a few iboprofen.

I am planning to get a new saddle this winter. With the short riding season we have here and the cold spring to date, I don't want to lose a month waiting for a new seat.

There is the Rick Mayer Saddle, the Bill Mayer Saddle, Corbin, Sargant and the Russell Day long. How the hell do you know which one to pick?

I have had each one of these seats on either RTs, K1200RS, or a GS...For my money, the RDL wins. For my butt, there is not better seat. (6-2, 180 lbs)

Steve in So Cal

I have had each one of these seats on either RTs, K1200RS, or a GS...For my money, the RDL wins. For my butt, there is not better seat. (6-2, 180 lbs)

Steve in So Cal

The people at RDL have finally admitted that the RDL on the R1200RT will raise the rider about 2 inches. For many, that's not a problem or even a good thing but it's a problem for short riders. Rick or Rocky (Bill) Mayer can accomidate a short rider better.

I have had the (unheated) Sargent on my '05 RT for 3 years now and am very, very, happy with it.

Travelled about 40,000+ and no complaints. You must however get used to having just the balls of your feet down at a stop, no flat footing...at 5' 10" with a 30" inseam, its a little bit of a stretch for me, but not an issue.

The comfort far outweighs the concerns at a stop...

Jim

Someone sent me a PM regarding this post and a Corbin seat for sale, it disappeared. I'm not sure what I did?

I didn't get a chance to reply. Sorry.

That was me. Shoot me a PM

Has anyone tried one of these seats? http://www.kontourseat.com/ I've been considering one of them, and I'd like some feed back.

For what they charge, it better be like "Riding on a Cloud". I've had 4 different seats on my RT and I still can't find one that has been worth the money that I paid....although the Sargent and Corbin have both helped. But that could just be the shape of my boney butt.

It's too bad that there is no way to try before you buy. It's like helmets, you won't know if it really fits until you've riden for a thousand miles.

I've heard good things about Rich's Custom Seats near Seattle. Maybe you could arrange a ride-in appointment there if they're not too ridiculously far off your planned route to AZ.

L-Mar. Sailorlite has a great idea. On the 1100RT I just sold I had a Rich's seat. All day comfort and he builds it to fit you when you are there. I put on over 200,000km on it and it still looks like new.

On the 1100RT I just sold I had a Rich's seat.

What kind of bike is under the new seat you've got Lester? :grin: I love new bike announcements! :lurk:

Pat

I like my corbins. It isn't like riding on a cloud because they're firm. They have stopped the endless sliding forward (even with seat jacks) but strangely, after hour 5 of a 6 hour run when my butt and legs would be screaming, the corbins 'kick in' and I feel like I could do another 5 hours (and have).

It's hard to explain but it's how it is for me. My feet are not planted at stops now though... The price you pay.

Linz :)

I have had the (unheated) Sargent on my '05 RT for 3 years now and am very, very, happy with it.

Travelled about 40,000+ and no complaints. You must however get used to having just the balls of your feet down at a stop, no flat footing...at 5' 10" with a 30" inseam, its a little bit of a stretch for me, but not an issue.

The comfort far outweighs the concerns at a stop...

Jim

Is that the standard or low height Sargent? I'm only 5'6" with about a 30" inseam. I could almost "flat foot" it with the Sargent low seat I used to have on my 07 RT.

The people at RDL have finally admitted that the RDL on the R1200RT will raise the rider about 2 inches. For many, that's not a problem or even a good thing but it's a problem for short riders. Rick or Rocky (Bill) Mayer can accomidate a short rider better.

Just got a RDL seat . . .Not sure I'll be keeping it. I have gone from the stock seat on the high setting with beads (higher yet) and the RDL I have to have on the low setting and I still have less footage on the ground ~ a drop is just a matter of time. Additionally, you have to scoot all the way up to stop and in the position, your legs are wedged between the seat wings, foot pegs and lower fairing with little room for anything less then ideal footing.

As for the seat itself, no complaints. Top quality, great people and a comfy seat.

I'll be calling them to see how they suggest to modify it ~ I'm not by any means giving up - they have yet to make adjusts to it, so please don't read this as 'they suck' rant - rather be aware that on the R12RT that the seat wings *may* cause you to have footing problems, both height wise and footing location.

RDL (like the other seat makers) are happy to make adjustments as needed. Something that doing a 'drive in' fitting avoids ;)

Poster: workin them angels

Subject: Re: Replace the stock RT seat?

Originally Posted By: Dave_in_TX

Just got a RDL seat . . .Not sure I'll be keeping it. I have gone from the stock seat on the high setting with beads (higher yet) and the RDL I have to have on the low setting and I still have less footage on the ground ~ a drop is just a matter of time. Additionally, you have to scoot all the way up to stop and in the position, your legs are wedged between the seat wings, foot pegs and lower fairing with little room for anything less then ideal footing

That's good info. I sure don't want my seat any higher than the top setting.

L-Mar,

Your biggest problem may be that you need something in two weeks. In my opinion, you can spend a little over and over on the little remedies but sooner or later you'll end up with with a Russell or a Mayer seat.

Rick Mayer says himself that his seats are only good for riders up to 220lbs. After that, you should probably go with a Russell. If you fit the Mayer you'll save a bundle as he gives excellent discounts to BMW riders. Just check out his site.

Since time is an issue I suggest a stock Corbin or Sargent. They will get you to Arizona and then you'll be able to sell it here at a minimal discount when you eventually go to the Mayer or Russell.

Allen,

Since I just make the 220lb limit for a R Mayer, that's what I own and I'm very happy with it. I went from a two hour max to all day. I live under an hour from you (still within the comfort seat limit) if you'd like to take a ride up to Guilford and try it on for size.

Allen Rowand

Bill,

Thanks for the offer! I'm checking out a Wunderlich seat tomorrow, but if that doesn't pan out I'll be in touch.

Best,

Allen

Archived