IGNORED

Rear wheel backlash?

Tim Wilson

Okay... this has me concerned. I have noticed what seems to be a (in my distorted mind) a considerable amount of backlash (?) in the rear end. At low (parking lot) speed, when I engage/disengage the clutch, I can hear a "clunk" sound coming from the transmission area (I think). On the center stand, in gear, the rear wheel will rotate about 3" from stop to stop (measured at the center of the tread). Is this normal? It's due for the 18K service soon and I'll ask the dealer to check it out then, but if it's normal then I won't worry about it. Both of my previous shaft-driven bikes had similar backlash (if that's what it's called) but I don't remember it being that much. I'd be happy to pull it all apart myself if I had the facility to do so but my apartment manager would definitely frown upon it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Missouri Bob

Tim:

The clunk I noticed occurred when I rotated the rear wheel while the bike was supported on its center stand. Every time I changed rotational direction of the wheel, the clunk was heard.

Bob

I have heard a clunk from day one at low speeds when the clutch engages. I have assumed its normal. I have about 24.000 miles on my bike.

I have heard a clunk from day one at low speeds when the clutch engages. I have assumed its normal. I have about 24.000 miles on my bike.

Thanks for the reassurance. I have noticed this in stop and go traffic, especially on hills. I was pretty sure that it was just loading/unloading of the drive train, but a second opinion is welcome.

..........I have noticed this in stop and go traffic, especially on hills. I was pretty sure that it was just loading/unloading of the drive train, but a second opinion is welcome.

I would very definitely bring it to the attention of your dealer and have it noted on the 18k service. It's worth having them spend a little time confirming all is well, or at least writing that on the 18k service record.

You might also ask it they have changed the FD fluid. I had them change mine (used bike I bought with 14k on it) when I went in for its first service (since I owned it). Makes me feel better anyway. :Cool:

Mine does exactly the same as you describe, including the audible clunk. Dones it since new and now at 45,000 miles with no problems.

Archived