IGNORED

"Security Shield" for the whole bike and luggage?

Clyde

Force shields like the Enterprise has?

A large Rottweiler, holding a larger umbrella?

A garage that collapses into a trailer you could tow?

I was thinking of wrapping it in copper wire...then plug it into a 220! grin.gif

Pat

Well, not quite, but this is close.

When I lived in El Paso many years ago one of my neighbors had problems with thieves breaking into his car and stealing his 8-track tapes. That's apparently all they wanted, and any genre would do.

So he soaked his front lawn good, then pulled the car up onto it. He cut the female plug off the end of an extension cord and frayed the end of each strand.

One strand he wrapped around a spike he sunk in the lawn. The other he clamped to his bumper . . . then he plugged the cord in.

It worked, and fortunately not too well. Or if it did kill someone there was a partner who hauled the body off.

clap.gif

Pilgrim

Jerry_75_Guy

From nature? Any number of good covers will do, but I've noticed lots of BMW

riders using a touring cover made by (help me out here guys) "EZ Tour"(??).

In addition to keeping the elements (and kitties; long story) off your bike, a cover will also keep prying eyes off: thieves go for the 'easy pickin's'.

Keeping the bike safe?; that's always a relative kind of thing. First, BMW's are low on the list for thieves since we have only around 2% of the market, so hot BMW bikes and parts arn't as attractive.

Beyond that, a good alarm system with an immobilizer (prevents ignition) can't hurt, unless you fear wallet pain. A good disc lock and/or a good cable and padlock setup are always good choices. If you have to leave your baby outside

a lot, you may also consider mounting an anchor in the concrete to run athe cable through (used a lot in the UK).

Besides that, just make sure you have good insurance. tongue.gif

Global_Rider

Scorpio SR-i500 alarm with available perimeter sensing, remote ignition disable/anti hijack kit and auxilliary built-in battery.

They have plug and play custom wiring harnesses for just about any bike not worth stealing; in other words, they don't have any for BMWs.

Fitted the BMW immobiliser to mine. $700.00 AUD odd and 9 hours to fit!

So sensitive that if it is up on the centrestand it will go off if rocked forward.

Clyde, there are a couple of manufacturers who make a "net" made of metal cable rather than wire. I know I've seen several sizes at REI. Then can be draped over the luggage and then locked to a wheel.

The downside is that they are likely to scratch the bike...and little children will make fun of you! grin.gif

Clyde, there are a couple of manufacturers who make a "net" made of metal cable rather than wire. I know I've seen several sizes at REI. Then can be draped over the luggage and then locked to a wheel.

That's great! I've been thinking for some time that someone must make something like this. I picked up a nifty new bag for the new school year (after beating my PowerBook to $650 in repairs last year), but it doesn't fit under the seat of the scooter or in the topcase. So, when I stop for groceries or whatever to or from school or work, I have to pull the bag off and wheel it around with me. That webbing combined with something like this may be a great combo.

The downside is that they are likely to scratch the bike...and little children will make fun of you!

The bungees already take care of the former. Lots of things already bring about the latter.

Greg

I installed the Scorpio SR-i500 alarm with perimeter sensing, remote ignition disable/anti hijack kit and auxiliary built-in battery on my #2 R1100RT. I wired it completely different than the way the pre-wired kits are installed. I have the speaker/siren hidden but not covered by the seat so I get full db's output. I'm impressed with the results after watching people entering the perimeter and then rapidly moving away. I can also set the alarm without the perimeter sensing.

Note that if anyone wants to steal your BMW they'll do it, alarm or no alarm. The only sure deterrent is a plastic coated 5/8" thick cable that goes around your frame and around a fence or other hard to remove object.

Am I paranoid regarding having my BMW stolen. In a word...YES! Every year at least 2 or 3 BMWs are stolen in the SF Bay Area and I had one of my RTs stolen from my driveway when I walked into my house a little over a year ago. That BMW had the ignition locked and was behind my F250. The PD said they most likely followed me home and used a shaved key. I ran after the guy running down the street thinking no way can a fuel injected BMW start with a push start without a key. When I was within 10 feet or so it started and my Remus exhaust sure sounded sweet as I stood there in complete disbelief and watched my RT disappear down the street.

Don't believe the rumor that BMWs are not stolen! Just try to make it hard to steal!!

Global_Rider
I installed the Scorpio SR-i500 alarm with perimeter sensing, remote ignition disable/anti hijack kit and auxiliary built-in battery on my #2 R1100RT.

I've seen it demonstrated at the bike show and so far the Scorpio SR-i500 is the only unit that impresses me. I'm considering one, even though my BMWs are either between my legs or parked in my private garage...well secured.

Note that if anyone wants to steal your BMW they'll do it, alarm or no alarm. The only sure deterrent is a plastic coated 5/8" thick cable that goes around your frame and around a fence or other hard to remove object.

True, if you are out of range. I use a portable noise maker to alert me when I am in a motel either while sleeping or taking a shower. I also attach the bike to an immovable object.

I ran after the guy running down the street thinking no way can a fuel injected BMW start with a push start without a key. When I was within 10 feet or so it started and my Remus exhaust sure sounded sweet as I stood there in complete disbelief and watched my RT disappear down the street.

What would have been real sweet is if you would have had a gun and shot that low-life in the back of the head. Speeding bullets are faster than speeding bikes. I'm not your average bleeding heart Canadian...I pack!

Would someone suggest a disc lock type device? Can those double to anchor the bike to a fixed object?

I'll get the EZ Tour cover . I'm thinking all black and avoid the red. Don't want to attract any notice. Camouflage would be even better. On side urban another jungle, no? And why can't the cover double as rain gear? poke your head up and you can ride in wet weather, right?

Also I'll take one SCORPIO . I noticed BMW is not on the plug-and-play kit list. Sir Larson, can you show how the install go?

Archived