IGNORED

Looking at a K Bike

Boz

I have an 1100-RT but Liz does not like it because the passenger seat is the same hieght as mine and she can't see over my head when we ride two up as she could on the Harley. I was noticing that the K1200 LT passenger seat is much higher. I was looking at a 2005 model yesterday and plan on going back to look it over today. Not ever having a K bike what should I be looking for? I am well aquainted with the RT but not so much on the K bikes.

I have an 1100-RT but Liz does not like it because the passenger seat is the same hieght as mine and she can't see over my head when we ride two up as she could on the Harley. I was noticing that the K1200 LT passenger seat is much higher. I was looking at a 2005 model yesterday and plan on going back to look it over today. Not ever having a K bike what should I be looking for? I am well aquainted with the RT but not so much on the K bikes.

Your checkbook.

:grin:

Once she rides on the LT it is all over.

Obvious things, maintenance done, signs of leaks, tipovers, etc.

When looking at an LT, make sure you consider the cost of maintenance which will definately be higher then your RT.

Also check for:

1) Potential leaks or sweating between main engine and tranny underneath (rear main seal -- very costly)

2) Any clutch slipage at all (kiss of death - expensive maintenance)

3) Fork Seal Leakage

4) Center Stand Leakage ('05 and beyond)

5) Service History - Maintenance on time, major repairs

6) Any extended warranty? Is it transferrable

7) Has a weep hole been drilled to protect the clutch in case of a leak from Rear Main, Transmission seals?

8) Status of shocks?

It is definately a nice bike, but my '03 was very costly in maintenance which made me switch to the R1200RT.

Archived