IGNORED

Oil Top Off Question

Lmar

I looked at the sight glass the other day and wasn't sure if I was seeing oil or not. I just had my first inspection about 700 km ago, I thought I must be mistaking.

I came back from a 350 km ride this afternoon. I decided to check the oil again. I waited for about 10 mins, looked at the sight glass, no oil visible. I waited another 5 mins and still no oil in the sight glass. I shook the bike a little and saw some oil moving at the bottom of the sight glass. I added about 200ml of oil and the oil level rose to approximately half way up the sight glass. I was trying to be very cautious and not over fill it. This is about 35 mins after I shut off the bike.

Since checking oil on this bike is a little different than my previous bikes, did I use the correct procedure? The manual states to check the oil 5 minutes after shutting off the engine. Can I top of the oil to the upper level at the 5 minute mark and not over fill the crankcase? I also have the oil monitoring system and the BC had a check mark next to the oil.

Just a few questions from someone that is new to the BMW Boxer engine.

Lmar,

For a true oil reading on the R1200's. First the bike should be parked on its side stand for 5 minutes to allow oil to drain from the oil cooler. Now place the bike on it's center stand and check the oil level.

I am surprised that you are not getting an oil level warning if the level is below the sight glass.

"...I added about 200ml of oil and the oil level rose to approximately half way up the sight glass. ...."

I'm assuming your have the bike on the center stand. Your procedure is what I do also. I check the sight glass after the bike has set for a a few hours, maybe over night - if it's above the bottom of the glass, and below the top of the glass I leave it alone. If I see no oil, I add a tiny bit at a time and wait several minutes, then check it again.

I also am surprised you did not get the (!) indication on your LCD. Probably your oil level was just a bit below the sight glass, but I think I'd still mention it to your dealer ASAP. You are smart to visually check the oil level - those "idiot lights" are known to sometimes not work correctly!

I just checked my owner's manual for the R1200R and it doesn't mention an oil level warning indicator. From the manual...

The insufficient oil pressure

warning does not fulfil

the function of an oil gauge. The

only way of checking whether the

oil level is correct is to check the

oil sight glass.

I just checked my owner's manual for the R1200R and it doesn't mention an oil level warning indicator. From the manual...

warning does not fulfil

oil sight glass.

If you have the bike computer (BC, yeah we better add that to the acronym list) option then a low oil indicator is included.

Originally Posted By: Dale_K

warning does not fulfil

oil sight glass.

If you have the bike computer (BC, yeah we better add that to the acronym list) option then a low oil indicator is included.

Sorry about that, yes I do have a BC, bike computer. After reflecting on things, there might have been a touch of oil at the bottom line or slightly above. It didn't take much of a shake to see the oil move in the sight glass. Being new to the RT I am still getting use to things.

I just came back from a 750 km (450 mile) trip, checked the oil after 2 hours, oil is approximately 1/3 up the sight glass.

The manual states to check the oil 5 minutes after shut down. Would the oil level be different after a 2 hour wait as compared to 5 mins. Should a person have the RT on the side stand for a while to drain the oil in the cooler?

For 36 years I have been checking oil after the oil had a chance to drain down. Is it any different with the RT?

I check the sight glass after having completely warmed up the bike, at least 15 mile ride.

Place on the center stand, and wait 10 minutes as that is what I remember from the 2005 manual.

I believe the oil drains out of the cooler while on the center stand, the bike does not have to be on the side stand, but I could be wrong. I only use the side stand to get off the bike.

I keep the oil level at about 3/4 to the top of the sight glass. Usually I will get an indication that the level is getting low by the indicator on the bike computer after riding aggressively with a lot of leaning over, or on a real long ride near the end. But the level has never been below the sight glass.

Just my experience with 47,000 miles on the bike owned since new. Uses very little oil, may 200 ml after 3,000 + miles. And getting smoother all the time.

Personally, Ithink people make too much fuss about this "oil dance" thing! Why worry about the oil cooler draining? When the engine is running ( and that's when the oil is needed) the oil cooler is full, so that's when the oil level matters.

I think the ten minute wait is just to give time for the oil to run down from the cylenders and heads like any other engine out there.

I usually park the bike on the center stand and check the oil level before the next time I ride.

But that's just my opinion!

Andy.

pardon my ignorance, but, what's the impact(s) if you add too much oil? will it blow out the crankcase vent hose to the carbon canister? or will it seep into the combustion chamber?

thanks in advance...

duckboy

pardon my ignorance, but, what's the impact(s) if you add too much oil? will it blow out the crankcase vent hose to the carbon canister? or will it seep into the combustion chamber?

thanks in advance...

duckboy

The carbon cannister is just in the fuel tank vent system (American bikes only). The worst case for over-filling oil is a blown cranckshaft seal. The usual effect is to blow oil out through the vent into the air-filter housing. the 1100/1150 has a drain in the lower LH side of the airbox. I do not know if the 1200 has the same.

Andy

"..If you have the bike computer (BC, yeah we better add that to the acronym list) option then a low oil indicator is included..."

I thought BC was short for "Bike Computer", but the BMW 328i (car) I bought yesterday also has a BC button it it! So now I think it must be German for "bitchin' computer"? :D

"..Personally, I think people make too much fuss about this "oil dance" thing! Why worry about the oil cooler draining? When the engine is running ( and that's when the oil is needed) the oil cooler is full, so that's when the oil level matters.

I think the ten minute wait is just to give time for the oil to run down from the cylenders and heads like any other engine out there.

I usually park the bike on the center stand and check the oil level before the next time I ride....."

Ditto. Why wait 2, 5 40 minutes or two hours; just check it before the next ride. Now not using the center stand may be a problem for some, and we all ought to know that the oil is ONLY to be checked with the bike level, that is, on the center stand. I HAVE to park my bike on its center stand, as otherwise it wouldn't fit between my wife's car and my truck in our garage. :Cool:

"..Personally, I think people make too much fuss about this "oil dance" thing! Why worry about the oil cooler draining? When the engine is running ( and that's when the oil is needed) the oil cooler is full, so that's when the oil level matters.

I usually park the bike on the center stand and check the oil level before the next time I ride....."

Ditto. Why wait 2, 5 40 minutes or two hours; just check it before the next ride. Now not using the center stand may be a problem for some, and we all ought to know that the oil is ONLY to be checked with the bike level, that is, on the center stand. I HAVE to park my bike on its center stand, as otherwise it wouldn't fit between my wife's car and my truck in our garage. :Cool:

Why not check it after each ride that get's the engine up to operating temperature? It's probably not a big deal, but the R1200RT owner's manual cautions against shecking the engine oil level when yhe engine is cool. It suggests checking it after a long ride. It further states that the oil level should be checked with the engine at operating temperature.

"..If you have the bike computer (BC, yeah we better add that to the acronym list) option then a low oil indicator is included..."

I thought BC was short for "Bike Computer", but the BMW 328i (car) I bought yesterday also has a BC button it it! So now I think it must be German for "bitchin' computer"? :D

Actually, "BC" is the abbreviation for "Bordcomputer" in German. The literal English translation would be "on-board computer". The terminology is not bike or car specific.

Too much and oils will pump into your airbox. 1100S had a drain plug in the airbox. 1200 I don't know - I learned my lesson...

Lmar,

For a true oil reading on the R1200's. First the bike should be parked on its side stand for 5 minutes to allow oil to drain from the oil cooler. Now place the bike on it's center stand and check the oil level.

Does not matter side or main stand for oil to drain. What does matter is you got the engine hot enough for the thermostatic valve to open so the oil can drain down.

Proof? find oil on cold bike at middle of sight glass. start bike for 1 minute. stop engine and check oil after a couple of minutes. Sight glass will be empty. Oil is up in the cooler. Add oil now and most likely you overfill. Excess oil pumps out to the airbox.

Lmar, if you do have the Board Computer - then I think it has the oil level sensor.

If the oil level was low and you did not get a warning - it must be a problem with the oil level sensor, so you should check it.

On my 2008 RT I get the low oil level warning which looks like this: whenever the oil level is on or a litle below the mid level on the sight glass but a lot sooner than on the minimum level. You can also detect it by some eratic noises (similar to backfiring) you hear on the exhaust, especially when downshifting.

And yes, on the sight glass oil level should be checked with the engine really hot (after the ride), on the center stand on a flat surface, after 10 or more minutes from shutdown, however with the engine still hot.

"..Why not check it after each ride that get's the engine up to operating temperature? It's probably not a big deal, but the R1200RT owner's manual cautions against shecking the engine oil level when yhe engine is cool. It suggests checking it after a long ride. It further states that the oil level should be checked with the engine at operating temperature....."

Thanks for reminding us all about that: checking when the oil is still warm. I had forgotten about that. I found checking it then was something I didn't do regularly, so I modified that procedure a bit. I checked the oil level as you indicate above, then compared the level to what I saw the following morning.

I find I remember to check the oil BEFORE my rides; not after. Anyway, the oil level when cool was not a lot less than when it was warm (see your post above), so I just make sure it's in the sight glass before I go riding. I also check it operationally using the BC, but that's just a confirmation all is well; the real check is pre-ride on the center stand.

Make more sense now? :Cool:

"....The literal English translation would be "on-board computer". The terminology is not bike or car specific....."

Thanks, that has been driving me nuts! At least BMW is consistent with at least my '06 RT and '08 328i! :Cool:

Archived