IGNORED

1150RT Turn Signal dual lamp socket ?

DMH

I part way remember ( another seniorish moment ) previous posts about a NAPA part which is a dual element lamp holder that converts the turn only lamp on 1150RT's into a running lamp plus the turn indicator..... the pn likely starts with LS as in Lamp Socket, but most parts in stock at my small local NAPA counter have 3-4 prongs, where the oem has only 2... how is the conversion done ?

Jerry Johnston

The third wire is for running lights and you need to run a wire to a hot wire such as the parking light.

Or you could get yourself a Signalminder relay replacement from Kisantech and get auto cancelling turn signals as well as running lights. The relay keeps the turn lamp on in 3 different set levels of brightness.

SM-5 Signal Minder

Much less trouble then rewiring ......

Thanks both for the ideas. I have no questions about 2-3 wires on the lamps & the Kisan is more like $120, but very nice. The info I was searching about was the actual lamp holders themselves, each about $10 or so - but they actually fit into the original slots that have two eared tabs to lock the socket collar into the plastic housing within the mirror pod - most of what styles I saw have 3 tabs or 4 tabs for holding in place. I could cut new slots to accept new tab orientation, but I was hoping to hear about the NAPA direct-match sockets...still with dual element filaments - 1 for running lites and other for turning signal off of 3 wires....

Jerry Johnston

When I changed mine I ended up cutting slots but have seen some that have a spring fit similar to what holds the mirrors on menaing all you need is a round hole - I'd use them if I had it to do over.

ElevenFifty

+1000 on the Signalminder approach ... self canceling signals are worth the money. I got mine the day a women driving a Mercedes actually believed that I was turning right and pulled out in front of me. I had always prided myself on my diligence in cancelling the turn indicator, but slipped up. That day was the first real test of my RT's brakes and they passed with flying colors. Rode home, changed my underwear and ordered a Signalminder ... would never be without one!!

+1000 on the Signalminder approach ... self canceling signals are worth the money. I got mine the day a women driving a Mercedes actually believed that I was turning right and pulled out in front of me. I had always prided myself on my diligence in cancelling the turn indicator, but slipped up. That day was the first real test of my RT's brakes and they passed with flying colors. Rode home, changed my underwear and ordered a Signalminder ... would never be without one!!

I put a SignalMinder on my RT the first week I owned it. It should be noted that an unadvertised side effect of the SignalMinder is that the two turn signal indicator lights on the dash board are always on, though they flash correctly when the turn signal is used. I don't mind this at all but some people might not like it.

MontanaMark

Another SignalMinder 2cts worth:

When you hit both signal switches at the same time, you get flashers!

MMMMmmmmm, Flashers!

Mark

The signals minder isone of the best accessories that I ever put on my bike.

My only beef is that you can only select 8, 30, 45 seconds for timeout. 8 is too short and 30 too long (at least for me).....and 45 is an eternity. I think that 20 seconds would be the sweet spot.

This is not a very good photo as I was actually trying to show something else, but you can just see dangling down the replacement dual-filament socket. Metal with tabs around the edge you can push into the OEM socket's hole. Available at most any auto parts store. Be sure to get the type with a ground wire, or else solder on your own.

3703875_LasZm-M.jpg

This is not a very good photo as I was actually trying to show something else, but you can just see dangling down the replacement dual-filament socket. Metal with tabs around the edge you can push into the OEM socket's hole. Available at most any auto parts store. Be sure to get the type with a ground wire, or else solder on your own.

3703875_LasZm-M.jpg

What's the other wire hanging out to the left for?

What's the other wire hanging out to the left for?

These:

3703874_oDD7f-M.jpg3703876_3Pbbi-M.jpg

Kisan vectraLights - Kisan vectraLights

(I don't have that bike anymore, wrecked it a few years ago. :( )

Cool, I love LED lights.....LED's will someday rule the world. At least until OLED's become practical.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ken H. The info and pix pointed me the way I was looking for. I went to my local Murrays/O'Riellys parts shelf and picked up a pair in metal prong dual lamp with ground sockets for about $7 ea & the 1157 dual filament bulbs to match. The diameter fits a range of 7/8 - 1 1/8" and took a slight bit of tab bending to fit snugly after the insert. I made a thin gasket to help seal the socket rim to the poly base. I tested the turn signals and the 'high' filament is bright, the 'low' output filiament is great for the "running" light. I'll finish wiring this weekend, but the outcome is exactly what I was looking for. :clap: I'll try to get pix up sometime, maybe... Thanks again !

Archived