IGNORED

I would hate yard maintenance less if....

Mike O

I had this to keep the grass mowed...

husqvarna-200906011-06-600.jpg

Husqvarna Panthera Leo is a hybrid made up of two ride-on mowers, Rider and Zero-Turn. A battery that can be charged at any electrical outlet has replaced the traditional gas engine. Five powerful electrical motors partnered with a sound absorbing cutting deck, allow the Husqvarna Panthera Leo to glide effortlessly and silently across your lawn. The three individually suspended cutting decks enables this mower to mow smoothly over bumpier parts of your garden, avoiding lawn scalping. The cutting decks each have razor sharp blades for a close cut finish and can be controlled to suit wide or narrow lawns (from 85cm up to 120cm).

All functions are managed via paddles on the steering wheel. Via an LCD-display gardeners are told everything they need to know to achieve a perfect lawn, from how fast they are driving, cutting height, cutting width, remaining battery time, service needs and warns the user about objects that are too close. With the help of sensors, Husqvarna Panthera Leo can recommend the most suitable speed and cutting height for the perfect lawn.

More information (and pics) available here.

Regards,

Mike O

Nice, especially if $ were no concern. Otherwise, I bet you could hire the dude in the background for the next 10 summers for less than the purchase price of that machine is likely to be. ;)

About 10 years ago I would spent 2-3 hrs a week on my yard. Now that is has been converted to synthetic grass, low water, low maintenance plants I no longer have a use for a mower.

Spending time in the yard working kept me from RIDING!!!!!

Now that is has been converted to synthetic grass, low water, low maintenance plants ....

Have you got a photo of that? I can't imagine the synthetic part.

Now that is has been converted to synthetic grass, low water, low maintenance plants ....

Think artificial turf on football fields.

There was just a big article here in Edmonton about its growing popularity here. When one considers total life cycle of the product however (it is petroleum based after all), I’m not so sure the eco-friendly argument holds up.

That being said, the traditional western style sea of perfectly even fine blade grass lawns, high in use of fertilizers, pesticides, and water is clearly an ecological disaster.

Low maintainance, local environment native, nature landscaping – that’s the ticket!

There was just a big article here in Edmonton about its growing popularity here. When one considers total life cycle of the product however (it is petroleum based after all), Im not so sure the eco-friendly argument holds up.

That being said, the traditional western style sea of perfectly even fine blade grass lawns, high in use of fertilizers, pesticides, and water is clearly an ecological disaster.

Low maintainance, local environment native, nature landscaping thats the ticket!

For years, I just strung a couple of pieces of binder twin across the drive, and let the horses loose on the lawn. When they were done eating, they went back to their pasture on their own. Quick and easy, but now things are more formal around here and I gotta go mow now.

For years, I just strung a couple of pieces of binder twin across the drive, and let the horses loose on the lawn. When they were done eating, they went back to their pasture on their own. Quick and easy, but now things are more formal around here and I gotta go mow now.

It's bad enough that you have a lawn, but you mowed it with horses? HORSES?! Do you realize how much greenhouse gas horses spew into the atmosphere? They're an environmental disaster!

I have people. Since I moved to a townhouse, I eagerly await every Friday, when a small army of white trucks pulls up. The uniformed landscapers pile out, fire up their mowers, trimmers and blowers and magically transform the place. Aaah, it's so sweet!

russell_bynum

There was just a big article here in Edmonton about its growing popularity here. When one considers total life cycle of the product however (it is petroleum based after all), I’m not so sure the eco-friendly argument holds up.

Low maintainance, local environment native, nature landscaping – that’s the ticket!

I've wondered about that. We're in a desertish climate here. Now...obviously a nice looking lawn and flowerbed is going to use more water than the native stuff. But aside from that, assuming you're not loading it down with chemical fertilizers (there are organic alternatives), isn't it BETTER for the environment? I mean...I know what was on our lot before we moved in...some clumps of native grass and shrubs. Now it's wall to wall green. 2500 sq ft of grass bordered with rosemary, fruit trees (lemon, lime, loquat), etc. Although nothing we have is stuff that was there originally, it's all stuff that does grow well in this area with a minimal amount of support. I also know we're supporting our own little ecosystem, from hummingbirds to rabbits and mice. I've seen a hawk hanging out around here too (probably looking for the rabbits and mice.)

Again...except for the water use, which isn't necessary "Bad" for the environment (it isn't like we have limited water on the planet and once it's used, it's used. We have a shortage of water here in SoCal, but it's not a global problem.) isn't what we've got better than what was here before? I mean...if cutting down plants and trees is bad, isn't adding plants and trees good?

Russell,

All you are doing with that little "ecosystem" as you put it is providing food and shelter for animals. Couple that with the conversion of precious CO2 into O2.

You keep that up and you're going to horribly skew the doomsday predictors of the climate change crowd...

Tread lightly young man, tread lightly! :rofl:

...except for the water use, which isn't necessary "Bad" for the environment (it isn't like we have limited water on the planet and once it's used, it's used. We have a shortage of water here in SoCal, but it's not a global problem.)

Ah, but we do have a shortage of fresh water on the planet, and it most certainly is a global problem. Only 40% of the world’s population as regular reliable access to clean drinking water.

Indeed one of mankind’s next great technology hurtles will be in figuring out how to desalinate ocean water in mass quantities. IMHO we should be focusing on things like that, not creating marginally more efficient personal vehicles and such nonsense.

russell_bynum
...except for the water use, which isn't necessary "Bad" for the environment (it isn't like we have limited water on the planet and once it's used, it's used. We have a shortage of water here in SoCal, but it's not a global problem.)

Ah, but we do have a shortage of fresh water on the planet, and it most certainly is a global problem. Only 40% of the world’s population as regular reliable access to clean drinking water.

OK, but that's not going to change by me having fake grass. And you didn't answer my question.

Indeed one of mankind’s next great technology hurtles will be in figuring out how to desalinate ocean water in mass quantities.

Yep...water water everywhere and not a drop to drink. :) That's definitely a huge source of water. If we could figure out an efficient (i.e. cheap) way to get the salt out, that would be a real gain.

IMHO we should be focusing on things like that, not creating marginally more efficient personal vehicles and such nonsense.

OK...I'm with you that we need to be looking at big picture stuff rather than little things. But aren't we talking about two different things? There's "reducing our impact on the environment", which is what you're usually talking about. This is "making the environment work for us." Those aren't necessarily the same thing.

If everyone had access to as much clean water as they needed, wouldn't that result in a population explosion? Population explosions are never good as far as the environment is concerned.

I think this is getting overblown...

We keep hearing how the glaciers are melting... There's fresh water for you right there. All we gotta do is get that ice away from the oceans and we'll have all the water we need! :rofl:

Archived