IGNORED

My bike went POP

rbstone

When I pushed the start button this morning the bike made one loud POP, then no electric, nothing! No LED display or lights. Battery is fully charged. In fact I had started it early to move it out of the garage. It's an 07 R1200ST 30k miles. Any suggestions.

Ill bet the battery went,I have heard the same POP when starting cars,,Open the hood and the battery case is split wide open,,,,

Ill bet the battery went,I have heard the same POP when starting cars,,Open the hood and the battery case is split wide open,,,,

+1 Remove the battery so you can look closely to see if there's a crack. Then check the voltage at the terminals with it disconnected from the bike. S/B 12v or higher.

What is the battery voltage ?

A lose conection at the battery can make a POP when starter load is applied.

Only way to test a battery is a Load Test,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

True. Pulling the battery and checking the voltage with a voltmeter would not be the best way to debug. Often there is a weak connection that fools you to thinking the connection is great.

In this case, leave the battery in the bike and simply turning on the key should indicate something. Measure voltage at the bike end of the battery posts.

I'd call Kellogg's and see where Snap and Crackle went.

I don't get it! This guy has a problem with his bike and some feel the need to try and be funny? Remember, this guy is looking for a little help and guidance...is this helping? JMHO.

I don't get it! This guy has a problem with his bike and some feel the need to try and be funny? Remember, this guy is looking for a little help and guidance...is this helping? JMHO.

+1

Well, he has several suggestions and we've not heard back as yet; so it hardly seems that that the subject has been ignored or hijacked to the extent that problem solving has been ignored.

Perhaps I should have said 'load test the battery'?

As the risk of laughing at my own warped sense of funniness, I thought it was a good line

Can't tie it to a motorcycle, but have had a few vehicles over time pop and go dead. It was always reasonably simple electric issues. Most of the time it was a battery cable that worked loose or hidden corrosion down stream in the cable had eaten it.

Think the advice you are getting is the first place to start. Check battery, check cables, and check connections at the starter.

Let us know what you find.

The answer to your question would be no but the same could be asked of your post. :/

The bike is still under warrwnty, It's at the dealer. The battery is OK all connections are clean and tight(first things I checked). They are going to do a load test on the battery, but they think it's something else. I'll let you know.

BTW it's OK to make fun of me. I can take it.

"...They are going to do a load test on the battery, but they think it's something else. I'll let you know...."

Please do report back here on what they do. Thanks.

Relax Tetz. I guess as a former mechanic I have to chuckle at the armchair quarterbacks with the suggestions sometimes. I like to see a bit of humor in my life sometimes. No harm intended.

My intent was not to make fun of you, I'm sorry if it came across that way. I was just doing a play on words.

Glad the bike is being looked at and hopefully everything will be squared away soon.

Dave

My intent was not to make fun of you, I'm sorry if it came across that way. I was just doing a play on words.

Glad the bike is being looked at and hopefully everything will be squared away soon.

Dave

I didn’t take offence to it. I fact I had Rice Krispies for breakfast. Snap, Crackle, but no Pop. I guess I know where the POP went.

That's the spirit.

Hope they resolve it quickly.

Best wishes.

A little light reading while you wait.

51XQAJTA5FL.jpg

Turns out it was the battery. Tested OK in the bike, but after they got it fully charged it load tested 4.5 volts DEAD!!

Don't know why it happened. The battery is two years old and always on a battery tender (just for you jokers "not while I’m riding it). The shop put the bike on the computer, no faults.

Archived