IGNORED

Disappoited in recent R1100RT

Beemer Steve

Beemer Steve

well i feel that i did a bad thing this weekend Itrade a 02 K1200LT for a R1100RT and cash of course ,but either these bikes have no power of I have problems the bike feels luggish and has less power than my wee strom it runs ok i just doesn't seem to have the pick up.PLEASE HELP.new to forum

They're not drag racers and the tall first gear does not help but give it time and you will come to appreciate the qualities that it does have. I've heard a valve adjustment or throttle body sync might help somewhat. Getting ready to do that on mine. Scott

ArthurKnowles

As an FYI, my 96 RT pulls quite well. Even compared to my 09 RT and my (previous) 06 LT. But they run best above 4K. 4K ~ 5K is the sweet spot. I never let mine run below 4K except in high gear on teh highway (crusing). On regular surface streets I just kept it in whatever gear kept it at 4K.

If yours is not performing well and the RPMs are up, something is wrong.

well i feel that i did a bad thing this weekend Itrade a 02 K1200LT for a R1100RT and cash of course ,but either these bikes have no power of I have problems the bike feels luggish and has less power than my wee strom it runs ok i just doesn't seem to have the pick up.PLEASE HELP.new to forum

Sounds Like you need/want a Hyabusa-or-ZX13. Get rid of the BM'R if you need/want power. A BM'R can and will KILL YOU just as easily, yet perhaps not a "FAST".

What do you mean by sluggish? In a certian rpm range, across the board or in a certian gear... My 07 RT pulls pretty darn hard, and from 5 to 8 k on the tach it's a damn fun bike. I came to the beemer from a HD and rode it like one until someone enlightend me. Once I got her spun up in the right range I was really impressed with the way it rides. You may have some issues with TB sync, bad plugs or something along those lines. Get her tuned up and put in some new plugs, then see if you feel the same way.

I'm thinking your RT is out of tune.

My 90K mile 96 is still a stump puller, and is pleasant to ride even down in the lower RPM ranges.

It is a different feel than the K bikes and if you're not used to it I can see where you could be concerned.

Where are you at? Maybe hosting or attending a tech day would be a good way to get introduced to your new bike?

Beemer Steve

thanks for all the input guys i'l be heading to the tech day at the speed way so maybe some ome there can ride it and tell me if it is normal and i just need to ride it a little harder

I came to my 1100RT after 6+ years of crotch rockets. I thought the RT was aweful until I changed my riding style. I was used to lugging around with those inline 4's and having a ton of power anytime I wanted it. After having the RT for awhile and getting the same advice about RPM you see above, it totaly changed my perception of the bike. Its all about the RPM. I also keep the RPM above 4k at all times unless flat land cruising in high gear. In fact, I don't even consider using 5th gear unless I'm above 65-70mph

Most of my back road riding is done in 3rd gear, and dropping to 2nd for the twisties. The redline is your friend

+1 on the rpms. My R1100RT with 129,000 just loves to be run at 6,000-8,000. It is a completely different motor at those revs.

Steve,

Like the others, it's all in the RPM's. Right gear/right speed.

Now, am I correct in assuming you are in Texas?

If so, why not come on down to the Hill Country and I'll show you just how "slow" an oilhead motored bike is mate :rofl:

I'm all for keeping the revs up, but the R11 is no crotch rocket or screamer. Nice torque, good pull, and decent acceleration, all well within the character of the bike.

I absolutely love my bike, but I would never put acceleration (at any RPM) up high on the list compared to many other bikes, especially newer ones. Remember this is a pretty old bike. MSN ran a 12.75 quarter with the R11. It's tough to find a modern non-cruiser much slower than that.

I think the performance win on this bike is it's nice torque. It pulls great out of corners and rides all day long one or loaded two up on the highways or twisties with lots of comfort. It will never be a quarter mile screamer.

+1 on the rpms. My R1100RT with 129,000 just loves to be run at 6,000-8,000. It is a completely different motor at those revs.

Uh, Eddd, isn't redline 7500??? What are you doing on that thing :S

Beemer Steve

ok Ihere the rpm thing but now i have a bigger problem i change ed the oil and filter today and when i went to start it i started then stuttered and then died and will not restart all i did is change the oil ?

Uh, Eddd, isn't redline 7500??? What are you doing on that thing :S

Trying to keep up with certain hoons. :P

Dang! I've only had that happen when I touch something other than oil/filter.

I would look for something that got pushed off when you did the oil change. Without hearing the problem, I would look at throttle cables (making sure they're seated). Can you provide more information/symptoms, maybe in a separate thread in the wrenching forum?

Archived