IGNORED

Instrument glare

eng943

Is anyone else noticing a glare on the instrumeny lens?

Wondering if there is a remedy to this problem or a shade of some kind to keep the glare to a minimum.

I did a search here and came up empty, and Wunderlich's cluster does not seem like it would be very effective.

Yes, I noticed it when I had my 12RT but never did find anything to help. I just lived with it. The 1150RT had a far superior instrument cluster IMO. By the way, I'm assuming you're talking about the 12RT but your profile is empty. It would help if you filled it out a little.

Don't really seem to have a problem with it. Then again, I don't fixate on the panel anyway. It's functional enough for me.

Paul In Australia

Wunderlich has an after-market, panel surround, similar to the K1200 GT surround. I have it on the Rt and it works quiet well. get rids of a lot of the glare but not all of it. Much better thn without it.

regards

Poster: GordonB

Subject: Re: Instrument glare

Simple plain old Polarized sunglasses will do the trick. No Glare.

Good point. I was wondering why it wasn't really a problem for me. I wear polarized Oakleys.

For anyone insterested, here's a picture of the GT cluster surround installed on an 1200RT

221655965_DrhVS-L.jpg

221656037_QsSZt-L.jpg

Have to jump in here for a second on that one, the hazards of riding with polarized sunglasses causing visual perception of road surface issues is well recognized. I’d urge caution in advice to ride with them.

Have to jump in here for a second on that one, the hazards of riding with polarized sunglasses causing visual perception of road surface issues is well recognized. I’d urge caution in advice to ride with them.

+1

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks!

I'm certainly no expert, but I've heard wearing polarized glasses cuts down on one's ability to see shiny things in the road also, like wet spots. For that reason I've always used non-polarized glasses when I ride. But I wear the heck out of 'em when I go fishing! :Cool:

STL RT Rider
For anyone insterested, here's a picture of the GT cluster surround installed on an 1200RT

Me likey! :)

You wouldn't happen to have the BMW part # for that GT cluster?

How does it attach .. sticky pads?

Paul In Australia

Hi ken

I was not aware of a problem with polarised lens. Can you fill me in please, as I was just about to buy a very expensive pair of sunnies.

best regards

PCH

221655965_DrhVS-L.jpg

221656037_QsSZt-L.jpg

Any suggestions on how to install the GT cluster on the RT?

Poster: Ken H.

Originally Posted By: GordonB

I have been riding with polarized sunglasses for many years. My eyes are sensitive to glare. Polarized sunglasses have solved this problem.

The polarized sunglasses that I wear do not cause any visual perception of road surfaces.

Paul In Australia

Hi Eng943

I just used silicon ( clear). Just a small amount and the surround just stuck there. never moved.

And if you want to take it off, no big deal.

regards

PCH

I stopped wearing polarized sunglasses with a helmet. With the visor down, many things looked slippery when they were not. I don't understand the problem, but it has something to do with the plastic in the helmet visors. When I went to the optometrist to get new non-polarized sunglasses she was well aware of the problem.

Did you have to do any modifications to the instrument surround to fit it to the RT? It's a lot cheaper than the Wunderlich unit, and it looks better!

Poster: Paul In Australia

Hi

Which ones do you wear? brand specific?

thanks

regards

PCH

Oakleys

These part# and prices are from MAX BMW online parts fiche for K1200GT(>2004).

Qty 1 - Part# 62117699346 -- instruments combination covering $55.58

Qty 2 - Part# 07129902610 -- inner hex bolt(M4X30-A2-70) @ $0.82 each

The bolts secure the cover from the top, but you need to do two things first.

1. Remove instrument cluster frame(w/speaker grilles) and drill two holes to accept the posts on the instrument cluster cover.

2. Tap two existing holes on the instrument cluster; which line up with the posts on the instrument cluster cover. Tap size is M4(metric)

A while back I created an MS Word document(w/pics) detailing the steps I took. Anyone who wants a copy can e-mail me at:

j.obrien@me.com

"...The polarized sunglasses that I wear do not cause any visual perception of road surfaces....."

Oh, that doesn't sound good at all. :grin:

It's bad enough that polarized glasses cut down on the detection of glare from wet spots, like standing water or oil, but if your glasses really "do not cause perception of road surfaces" at all that sounds dangerous! I'd at least want to know that the road was there! :D

+1

Poster: Ken H.

Originally Posted By: GordonB

I have been riding with polarized sunglasses for many years. My eyes are sensitive to glare. Polarized sunglasses have solved this problem.

The polarized sunglasses that I wear do not cause any visual perception of road surfaces.

STL RT Rider

These part# and prices are from MAX BMW online parts fiche for K1200GT(>2004).

Qty 1 - Part# 62117699346 -- instruments combination covering $55.58

Qty 2 - Part# 07129902610 -- inner hex bolt(M4X30-A2-70) @ $0.82 each

The bolts secure the cover from the top, but you need to do two things first.

1. Remove instrument cluster frame(w/speaker grilles) and drill two holes to accept the posts on the instrument cluster cover.

2. Tap two existing holes on the instrument cluster; which line up with the posts on the instrument cluster cover. Tap size is M4(metric)

A while back I created an MS Word document(w/pics) detailing the steps I took. Anyone who wants a copy can e-mail me at:

j.obrien@me.com

Thanks James! Email on the way for the instructions.

Archived