IGNORED

u-joint failure

Missouri Bob

Missouri Bob

Today, I noticed excessive rotational play in the R1200ST's rear wheel. Upon exposing the u-joint, I saw that two of the needle bearing assemblies had failed. Needles and broken cage/retainer parts inside of the shaft housing.

I'll have it towed to the dealer. The service manager was not certain that the part is in the U. S.

Although this will come out of my pocket, I'm not going to get pissy about it. However, I wonder what caused this. It's not like the old airhead days when the u-joint was in an oil bath. Inquiring minds, you know.

This could have been MUCH worse. I was planning on leaving Monday for a week-long road trip. Maybe I'll explore the SV650's touring capabilities.

Thanks.

Bob

One more thing: 25,800 miles.

Wow, that sure seems low for a failure like that. But good you caught it rather than have it happen during your trip, plus driveshaft failures can be pretty catastrophic and do damage to the swingarm, etc. So you were lucky I guess (other than the fact that the failure happened at all of course.)

If the part is not in the US and difficult to come by a good driveshaft shop ought to be able to rebuild it to as good as new for you (or perhaps better than new given your experience.)

Bob, sorry to hear of your problem on your ST. I'm glad you caught it when you did. Was your problem with the universal joint near the rear end drive? I just tried to find the drive shaft on the parts fiche but, couldn't find it. I would think there may be a second universal joint at the transmission end as well. Years ago when I replaced the CV joint on my Moto Guzzi, it was of a pecular size to prevent a local repair. I had to order from Moto Guzzi for my 40,000 mile bike at the time. Good luck on a speedy repair.

Missouri Bob

Yes, it was the rear u-joint. Has anyone else heard of a similar failure?

I was really lucky to find the problem while the bike was parked at home. No telling how it would have behaved had the u-joint let go at speed. I guess it's like having an aneurysm discovered during a check-up.

Bob

Lineareagle

Bob,

You discovered this while checking your rear wheel rotational free play?

Did you then drop the rear and expose the joint at the cuff?

Must have been a fair bit of play to tweek the amount of curiosity you must have had to go to that trouble to check out.

How much free play was there?

Missouri Bob

OK, there is more to it than that. In addition to about ten degrees of play, there was a "clunk" that I did not recognize. As I rotated the wheel, it just did not feel right.

I dropped the rear end as one would for a rear drive oil change, exposing the joint under the "bellows". Honestly, that took no more than ten minutes.

The bike was hauled to BMW of Denver this morning. I might know something (cost, time) later today.

Bob

Missouri Bob
Has anyone else heard of a similar failure?

I guess not. Interesting.

Received a call from the dealer. Yes, a new drive shaft is needed. Fortunately, it IS in the U.S. $658 plus labor (and the towing charge).

Should have it back in a couple of weeks.

Bob

$658 plus labor (and the towing charge)

Given the rarity of a failure like this at such low miles (almost certainly due to something beyond normal wear and tear) have you asked for some goodwill assistance from BMW? There's no guarantee you'll get it but it would be reasonable to ask.

Missouri Bob

I have. I think the service manager will put forth some effort on my behalf because, by his own admission, the bike is four months out of warranty and I'm a "good customer".

Even if BMW does not help me on this, I really cannot complain too loudly. I knew when the warranty expired, and I chose not to buy an extended warranty.

Bob

Hey Bob... sorry to hear about that failure. Glad to hear you caught it...

Is the final drive configuration on the R1200ST like the R1200RT or more like the earlier R1100/1150s? I keep thinkng the ST was different somehow.

When you checked, you said rotational... I always thought we were supposed to check for free play doing a push/pull from the 9 and 3 o'clock position, with what 1mm free play (?)

Hey Bob... sorry to hear about that failure. Glad to hear you caught it...

Is the final drive configuration on the R1200ST like the R1200RT or more like the earlier R1100/1150s? I keep thinkng the ST was different somehow.

When you checked, you said rotational... I always thought we were supposed to check for free play doing a push/pull from the 9 and 3 o'clock position, with what 1mm free play (?)

The ST and RT share many common features, including the final drive. I believe part numbers are identical.

The push/pull test at 3 and 9 o'clock checks the bearings in the final drive itself. Bob's check of rotating the rear wheel wheel fore and aft checks for backlash in the entire drivetrain. Excessive wear could be in the final drive, the drive shaft (U-joints), or the transmission.

Has anyone else heard of a similar failure?

I guess not. Interesting.

Received a call from the dealer. Yes, a new drive shaft is needed. Fortunately, it IS in the U.S. $658 plus labor (and the towing charge).

Should have it back in a couple of weeks.

Bob

One other one I know of. Linkage

Hope BMW helps you out, this sort of thing shouldn't happen no matter what the warranty is.

Good luck,

FYI My 2005 1200 RT lost its final u joint at 58172 miles and the complete drive shaft cost $658 plus labor of $158. I also noticed excessive rotation and opened up the final drive which revealed the problem real fast.

Possible others with 2005 models need to check the final u joint when they change the final drive fluid or lub the splines.

• 2 weeks later...
Missouri Bob

I just picked up the bike from BMW of Denver. Although BMWNA has not yet authorized any goodwill assistance on this repair, the dealer, ON THEIR OWN, ate the cost of the $658 drive shaft. Of course they hope that BMWNA will reimburse them, but nothing is guaranteed.

Just in case it is not obvious, I am very impressed with BMW of Denver. They will continue to get my business.

Bob

Missouri Bob

IMG_0019.jpg

Although I had lubed the splines only 1800 miles earlier, they were dry. I have to assume that things got hot back there when the bearings failed. Yikes.

Bob

I just picked up the bike from BMW of Denver. Although BMWNA has not yet authorized any goodwill assistance on this repair, the dealer, ON THEIR OWN, ate the cost of the $658 drive shaft. Of course they hope that BMWNA will reimburse them, but nothing is guaranteed.

Just in case it is not obvious, I am very impressed with BMW of Denver. They will continue to get my business.

Bob

Great to have a happy $$$ ending to your story. If I lived anywhere in central CO, I'd give that dealer all my bike business.

Wooster

• 2 weeks later...
Missouri Bob

I think this photo better shows what happened. The term "close call" comes to mind.

IMG_0026.jpg

Bob

motoguy128

Sucks that the dealer had to eat some of his margin, rather than the company that designed, purchased and assembled the failed part.

I know you can't warranty things forever, but BMW is a machine that built it's reputation on durability and reliability as well as performance. I suppose the Japanesse have raised the bar high enough that it's really more of a perception than a reality.

I know based on my priorities these day,s the bike will be parked for a long while if it faced a $900 repair. 1 more year left on the warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bob, I forgot to recheck this thread until now. Of course the root problem is you LUBED those splines!!! :grin:

With my low milage at around 15,500 miles, my ST should be ok for quite awhile except for the fact it's running too good at the present. :eek:

Missouri Bob

I really do think it was a fluke. Otherwise, we would have heard of that type of failure more often. And some would be carrying spare drive shafts when they travel.

Bob

Archived