IGNORED

Some riding!

amz

The guy who taught the MSF ERC course for us could easily ride the MSF figure 8 box with a few feet to spare all the way around on his wing. Never touched any hard parts. Claimed he was a sport tourer. We believed him.

Couchrocket

Wonder how often he replaces his engine guards

They don't drag. There are little silver covers over the headers that you can grind a hole in first. They're the first things to touch down.

has been posted a bunch of times before, but if you listen to the audio you can hear the little header covers being ground away.

If you see a guy on a GL1800 w/ holes in the little silver header covers... do not take him on! :rofl:

Damn! Thats pretty smooth riding on such a big bike. I have been considering getting a wing so the wife will ride with me, since the RT is just not cutting it for her. Now that I see how they can handle I may get more serious.

Couchrocket
Cool as well! But that's Yellow Wolf, different guy. The blue Wing is somewhere in WA state, I believe.

Roger that. Just posted to expand on the manuverability of that big pig of a bike. For the most part, I loved mine while I had it.

It's hard to argue with success, but the way the guy looks at the ground behind him in turns bothers me. Dave, who taught our ERC course kept his head up and looked where he was going. I don't think this guy can see where he is going. It gives me the willies. Dave was much smoother too.... though I think this guy is trying to go fast, and Dave was not.

Bill_Walker
The guy who taught the MSF ERC course for us could easily ride the MSF figure 8 box with a few feet to spare all the way around on his wing. Never touched any hard parts. Claimed he was a sport tourer. We believed him.

Ditto for me when I took the basic course back in the mid-80s. The instructor was a retired motor cop with a great big GW Aspencade, and he could easily do any of the exercises we were being taught. We students were suitably impressed.

Damn! Thats pretty smooth riding on such a big bike. I have been considering getting a wing so the wife will ride with me, since the RT is just not cutting it for her. Now that I see how they can handle I may get more serious.

Glenn, If I might ask, what is not working for her on the RT?

She can't take the pillion for long due to a very bad back, and after being on the pillion on my Ultra she does not feel as "locked in" on the back. I'm going to fab up some arm rests and a lumbar support pad for her, and may even mount up some rear speakers to go along with it all on quick disconnects of course. Even on the Ultra she was only good for 4-5 hundred miles, but on the RT she can only handle a hundred or so now. Getting aftermarket seats will help I'm sure also, but she's not a true motorhead like I am and realy has no desire to be a moto tourer to the extent that I do. I've been nudging her to try and go further on her bike, and she likes riding it, but is not ready for distance yet.

She can't take the pillion for long due to a very bad back, and after being on the pillion on my Ultra she does not feel as "locked in" on the back. I'm going to fab up some arm rests and a lumbar support pad for her, and may even mount up some rear speakers to go along with it all on quick disconnects of course. Even on the Ultra she was only good for 4-5 hundred miles, but on the RT she can only handle a hundred or so now. Getting aftermarket seats will help I'm sure also, but she's not a true motorhead like I am and realy has no desire to be a moto tourer to the extent that I do. I've been nudging her to try and go further on her bike, and she likes riding it, but is not ready for distance yet.

Same with my wife. Every time we plan a trip she says, "Can we please take the Harley this time?" It is a more comfortable bike...

Joe Frickin' Friday
It's hard to argue with success, but the way the guy looks at the ground behind him in turns bothers me. Dave, who taught our ERC course kept his head up and looked where he was going. I don't think this guy can see where he is going. It gives me the willies. Dave was much smoother too.... though I think this guy is trying to go fast, and Dave was not.

With the helmet on it's hard to tell for sure where his eyeballs are pointing, but I'll wager he's not looking down as much as he is looking back. This is consistent with all the instruction I've ever heard for making tight U-turns on a bike, as well as the oft-heard mantra "you go where you look." And it works for me too: I have a lot less trouble making a super-tight U-turn if I crank my head and look back over my inside shoulder.

• 1 month later...

In the MSC, I found I could make the tight left turns easily, but for some reason, all my right turns were wide...

Now riding on my own RT... I can still make the left turns tight, and still have a little trouble with right turns, but not near the trouble I had in MSC... I would like to say this is due to practice, but I think it also has something to do with my comfort level of the bike...

It is obvious that these guys have spent a lot of time getting to know their bikes and are VERY comfortable with them...

Regards -

-Bob

Archived