IGNORED

Causing any damage by capping off throttle body vac nipples?

Nevets

A few months ago, trying to help diagnose a little bit of rough running, I removed the vac lines from the bottom of the two throttle bodies. The lines (uncapped) are just hanging close to the throttle bodies. I sealed off the two nipples on the bottom of the throttle bodies with tight fitting caps.

My intention was not to leave them in this condition for long, but in the process of doing a TBS last weekend, I was reminded that I left them in this state. The bike seems to be runing well at the moment, although the idle speed seems a little low, even though I thought I had it adjusted right during the TBS process.

Have I caused any damage? Is th charcoal canister full of gas? Have I proven that a canisterectomy will not affect performance? Should I just hook the two lines back up and get on with it (yes Mitch, I know I probably should).

Thanks for your thoughts on the subject.

Allen Rowand

My bike came with the throttle bodies capped, and this weekend was the first time I saw a canister on another RTP. Woodie told me it was NOS :D

After the TBS we did yesterday the bike is running great; performance seems good and my low gas warning comes on after about 270 highway miles.

Hope this helps,

Allen

A few months ago, trying to help diagnose a little bit of rough running, I removed the vac lines from the bottom of the two throttle bodies. The lines (uncapped) are just hanging close to the throttle bodies. I sealed off the two nipples on the bottom of the throttle bodies with tight fitting caps.

My intention was not to leave them in this condition for long, but in the process of doing a TBS last weekend, I was reminded that I left them in this state. The bike seems to be runing well at the moment, although the idle speed seems a little low, even though I thought I had it adjusted right during the TBS process.

Have I caused any damage? Is th charcoal canister full of gas? Have I proven that a canisterectomy will not affect performance? Should I just hook the two lines back up and get on with it (yes Mitch, I know I probably should).

Thanks for your thoughts on the subject.

If you look at any non-American market bike you will find a) no cannister and B) The nipples capped off. All you have done is put your bike a little closer to the original design.

Andy

mikeR1100R

No damage. I removed my cannister years ago in order to fit a Hepco Becker luggage rack. No problems at all.

Have I caused any damage? Is th charcoal canister full of gas? Have I proven that a canisterectomy will not affect performance? Should I just hook the two lines back up and get on with it

The canister on an OEM bike will never get liquid gas in it, so that’s not a potential. If the bike is OEM with none of the mods people do to try to squeeze a bit more fuel in it that is.

Otherwise when you reconnect it it will purge as normal. No issues.

ShovelStrokeEd

And, if you are going to leave the caps on and you have a US Spec bike, you need to reroute your tank vent hose from the cannister to free air lest your tank not vent properly.

DavidEBSmith
The canister on an OEM bike will never get liquid gas in it, so that’s not a potential.

Sure it can. I've done it. Just takes a really slow gas pump with an inattentive hand on it.

And, if you are going to leave the caps on and you have a US Spec bike, you need to reroute your tank vent hose from the cannister to free air lest your tank not vent properly.

Instructions on how to do it here (you can ignore the part about adding air horns).

SAAB93driver

If you do the canisterectomy you can gut the canister by cutting off the back end, clean out the contents and cut the piping and get a vinyl Caplug (brand name) to fit over it and leave the empty cannister mounted. A tubeless tire repair kit fits nicely in the the cannister.

Archived