IGNORED

GS Failure

frank91762

My GS failed the other day after 14 mos. and 11000 happy miles. The engine died after I shifted into neutral to coast to a stop light. Battery always on bmw charger,shows full charge(green light) (shows 13 volts on meter),goes through the normal boot up process,battery terminals tight and clean,full tank of gas,bike will not jump start-arranging to get it back to dealer-anyone had a similar experience? Any ideas? Thanks-Frank

Sorry guys, I was trying to be brief and left out some info.-The bike was ridden a few days prior,no problems.Hesitated slighlty on startup that am, but started and idled ok,load up myself,my wife and gear for week long tour,1 mile from the house,first red light,shift into neutral to roll up to light,motor stalls. Engine will crank, but not fire.Disconnect,clean and reconnect battery leads on side of road,no better.Several more tries,bike starts,get home,switch to k1200s,go on trip. Return one week later,put bike on charger,next day,green light,starts,idles fine,I shut off bike,try to restart,bike cranks but won't fire.Try many more times over the next week,try jump starting-no good.(I just double checked the kill switch-it's ok.) Any help would be great-Thanks

It's probably that little transmitter thing just in front of the ignition that interrogates the special key they're using now. There have been a fair number of such failures, with the symptoms you describe.

I don't have the terminology right, but that's my best guess.

If the key wasn't recognized,would it show as an EWS fault on start up? The bike boots up normally,does that matter?

I wish I knew more about it, but I've just read about weird, intermittent issues that point back to the antenna ring (yeah, that's what I was trying to think of). I don't KNOW if that's the issue for you, but at least menton it to the dealer. I've read about those weird failures here, on AdvRider, and UKGSer.

Your symptoms are different than the others--almost like it's the central brain.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Thanks David, I appreciate the help,the bike's scheduled to go back to the dealer on Friday, I'll keep you posted-Frank

Can you hear the fuel pump when you turn the ignition on? We just went through a similar experiance with our Buick. The dealer replaced the fuel pump and then the passlock sensor. After 8 failures and tows to the dealership they replaced the fuel pump a second time and, so far, it seems to be OK.

Yours is a fairly early one and they often suffered fuel pump failure due to water ingress. There was a recall but if this has not been done or if the corrosion had already started this could be the cause. Certainly sounds like the symptoms I experienced.

Good luck.

Paul

Thank you for the ideas,it's currently at the dealer,they think it's the fuel pump,but unfortunately,they lacked some cable (?) necessary to finish the diagnostic process.I never paid attention to the sounds during boot up to learn what the fuel pump sounds like,but I'm going to walk into my garage right now and turn on my k1200s.Hopefully I'll hear from the dealer soon, and I'll let you guys know-Frank

The dealer called last night, they replaced the fuel pump and it seems to be fine. I'm going to pick it up this afternoon, hopefully all will be well. Thanks again everyone for your help -Frank

they think it's the fuel pump,but unfortunately,they lacked some cable (?) necessary to finish the diagnostic process.I never paid attention to the sounds during boot up to learn what the fuel pump sounds like,

Just a comment, This is what happened to me 6 months ago with my new RT12, I posted it in this forum.

Maybe it could be of help:

"Did the problem finally solve?

I could be in doubt about BMW telling the truth in this case since I had exactly the same problem till my RT12 with only 250 kms just stalled and I had to call a tow truck.

But, I got stuck to the BMW dealer´s mechanic inside the workshop! Untill we found the root of the problem.

On the left side of the bike, gas tank, there is a vented cover that cups the fuel pump controller, it has an alluminum heat radiator. Then there is a cavity with an O-ring as a seal.

THIS IS THE PROBLEM, the seal is not perfect. And when you wash the bike the water comes in and puts in a short the wires that lead to the fuelpump.

I saw the "lake" inside of this "sealed" cup so there was no way they can tell me wrong.

They replaced the controller (it cost something like 150 dollars).

The bike hasn´t fail anymore and it was on warranty since even the washing of the bike was done at the dealer´s, I never washed it

So, if this helps, wash it thoroughly with water hose over the left side tank cover and maybe the problem will arrise again, then you will have a chance to get your money back.

This problem is getting worse on GSs because it is a roughly ridden bike that usually crosses rivers and gets more wet than RTs.

In the US and Mexico the problem is growing but it is mostly known so the fix is: Put some silicon to the top of the cavity´s cover and try not to get wet." confused.gif

MoroCycler

Thanks alot for the info. The bike seems to be running fine, fortunately the repairs were covered under warrantee,so it didn't cost me anything,but I don't want it to happen again. I'm going out to the garage now to look for the parts you mentioned. Thanks again-Frank

Archived