IGNORED

Intro and questions

Bill Bass

Hey everybody,

new here, and new to bmw's in general. I am looking at purchasing an 1100rt - I heard somewhere that the side cases weren't big enough for a full face helmet - is that true?

also, I'm wondering if its worth it to save up a few more $$ and go with the 1150rt - what do you all think?

cheers,

Bill

I'm happy with my 1100, but I was coming from a 20-year old bike, so anything was an upgrade.

Now that I have it...

1150 has power brakes. More hassle to maintain. I'm happy w/ the braking on the 1100.

1150 (most) has linked brakes. I'd rather not have them.

1150 (Many) have dual-spark plugs, so less surge and better mileage. I'd like that.

Hi Bill,

Welcome.

I have the '02 R1150 RT, the linked brakes take a bit of getting used to but they are no big deal. Maintaince on them is a bit time consuming but not difficult once you have done it.

The side cased will not hold a helmet but the top case will.

Both the 1100 and the 1150 are great machines they each have their own quirks. You will get lots of feedback here.

You will want to look for a tech day in your area it will do two things.

1. You can meet lots of people from the board.

2. You can learn all about the maintenance on whichever bike you decide to buy. Maybe go to one and see both bikes and talk to people to assist with your decision

Please update your profile so we know what part of the country you are in and eventually which bike you buy.

No matter which RT you get you will have lots of fun riding it.

John

Dave R1100RT

Hey Bill,

Like Woodie - I upgraded last June from an older bike ('78 Honda Goldwing) - so the R1100RT is like heaven to me. I am new to the world of BMW as well....a positive attribute in my mind of the R1100RT...is that doing your own wrenching is definately in the realm of possibilities....of course that exists with the R1150RT and R1200RT also.

I always leave my helmet in my top case (HJC XL) - fits without issue. Doesn't in the side cases.

The R1100RT, R1150RT and R1200RT are all great bikes. I have only ridden the R1100RT. For an intro BMW bike I decided to start with the R1100RT because my perception was that the R1100RT was closer to the R1150RT than the R1150RT was to the R1200RT....in other words...for me...the R1100RT was a more simpler way to get exposed to BMW. The next jump for me would be to the R1200RT....however...by the time I'm ready to make a jump...the R1200RT may be something all together different....these R1100RT are great bikes in and of themselves. I have a 2000 with ~42K on her....she will last for quite awhile @ only 8K-10K/yr....

My advice would be to try both. Either one will enhance your smile...no question.

Dave in Doodah

The side cases on my R1150RT hold my full-face Nolan, but just barely. Even leaving the shield flipped up makes it too wide. If you have a hinged chin bar, you can forget.

Not a lot of substantial differences between the 1100 and 1150 and some don't consider the 'upgrades' (six-speed transmission, power brakes, hydraulic clutch) as improvements but rather detriments, but these are fine points and either model should serve you well. If you are tight on dollars I would steal one of the 1100's out there, prices are very good for what you get but make sure it has a clean maintenance history. The next step would be to the 1200 where the improvements are much more meaningful, but you're looking at 2-3X the price of an 1100 so the value factor may not be there for you.

As was mentioned you can fit a standard full-face helmet in the side cases (1100 & 1150 are the same here) if you place it just right. An oversize helmet model might not fit.

My 1100 will hold a medium full face helmet in the side bags.

As to 1100 vs. 1150, I'll take the 1100 due to non-linked brakes, 5sp, and non-hydraulic clutch. The dual-spark in the 1150 is the only thing I would consider an advantage over the 1100. But, everyone's different in what they want.

gmarktbone

I'm going to go out on a limb here and advocate for the 1150 without having ridden an 1100. I love the brakes. In fact, that was one of the points that sold me on the bike-it stops and means it. I also like the six speed transmission even though I rarely use sixth gear since I don't travel interstates daily. When I do, I like the sixth gear. All that being said, I think the 1100s are beautiful. I think the locomotive style headlight looks great.

You will be happy with either bike, so don't worry about it and buy the one that fits your budget/etc...

I had a r1100rs(probably the same side cases as the rt). Large helmet fit fine, but you had to put it in at a certain angle. My helmet fits Bottom down in the side cases of my r12oort. the r1100 was a very good bike, the new rt's are friggin' awesome

Now that I have it...

1150 has power brakes. More hassle to maintain. I'm happy w/ the braking on the 1100.

1150 (most) has linked brakes. I'd rather not have them.

1150 (Many) have dual-spark plugs, so less surge and better mileage. I'd like that.

Welcome Bill, I cannot add anything to the above, seems to be the general consensus. I love my 1100RT and the simplicity of maintenance. I have 99k miles on it and hope it will last forever. :thumbsup:

Yes...

In my RT I can get our Nolan N100Es in the RH side bag and also the stock BMW top box.

IMHO the R1150RT cruises way better at higher speeds with the 6th gear than the R1100RT.

Welcome Bill.

I donno about a 1100RT, but my 1200RT will fit a large full face.

BUT, don't drive the bike with the helmet in there or else it will be pretty scuffed up when you arrive at your destination.

The vibrations reck the helmet.

Storage in there is nice for parking. But, I often use a helmet bag instead.

Ed -

Archived