IGNORED

New member thinking about another bike

Rhys

Been looking this sight over for a day or two, and figured I shuld go ahead and join in. First a little background. I'm 30 married and a gunsmith by trade. Started riding bikes when I was about 6 or 7, and rode motocross and enduro until I was about 17. the last bike I had was a Kawasaki KLR650 that I sold about 2 years ago. I'm looking at getting another bike, and the wife has one requirement. Has to be able to go 2 up comfortably, the KLR deffinately didn't fit that bill. Heck 1 up on the highway for more than about 30 minutes and I was ready to get off it. Dad has ridden BMWs for as long as I can remember, and is still riding his '86 K75C. Just a year or so ago I wouldn't have even looked at a BMW " They're old guy bikes" let alone anything that even suggested touring.

Knowing the luck dad has had with BMWs in the past I'm looking toward either an R1150RT or K1200GT as those are the 2 the wife leaned toward the most. (think it had somothing to do with the heated seats on the RT) Now to my question. From a performance, and maintanance standpoint is there any real benefit to either the R or K motors compared to the other?

Welcome. Both a great bikes, but there are significant differences in seating positions and passenger protection. Make sure the wife tries out both bikes before making a decision.

From a servicing standpoint, the RT is far more user-serviceable. The GT isn't. If you plan on doing your own work, the RT is way easier to work on. Plus, you have resources like this site to serve as a fountain of knowledge. If you plan on going to the dealer for regular service, the GT's services actually tend to be lower than the RTs.

Lets see:

K --- more power, smoother, much higher top speed. Slightly less comfortable. Looks OK. You know you will be seeing how fast it goes and it goes fast enough to be real dangerous IMHO.

R --- easier maintenence, 125 mph tops (which is dangerous also), can accelerate up mountain passes two up with no problems. Wife prefers this bike over all others. More comfortable (after seat modifications). 1150RT body style has always been a favorite of mine.

Your choice, either is a great bike.

Hey another 30 year old :thumbsup::clap:

I bought my 1100RT when I was 26, and at that point I never thought I would own a BMW bike either. Now......4 years and 55k+ miles later I'm pretty sure I will never be without one.

K bikes are smooth and have gobs of power. Basic maintenance is pretty straight forward except valve adjustments are much more involved than the R bikes

R bikes vibrate (in a good way IMHO) and are much more tame in the power department. Overall maintenance is a breeze as long as you are willing to learn. Hardest part is learning to bleed the brakes on an 1150, but even that is easy once someone shows you.

Matts_12GS

I'll second the R bike thing.

I came off big displacement Japanese 4s and ever since I rode an R bike I've been hooked on them, so much so, that #4 is in my garage now and #5 is on the way!

I think the biggest thing that might help you decide is that the R bikes are kind of like that KLR... Lots of torque and enough power but it's easier to use the majority of that power when you're riding.

It's no supersport that needs to rev north of 12K to make power, the R bikes make power and torque in places that are easily used when riding quick in the twisties or passing lunkheads on the slab.

Rhys, please fill out your profile and let us know where you are from and things like that. You may be surprised to find one of us is your neighbor!

To throw out another option, as an old KLR rider you might really like the R1200GS. I traded my R1100RT on one after my wife told me she liked the pillion better. There's less weather protection but we've found we don't miss it, especially on hot summer days.

Everything Matt said is correct.

But I'll add that the soul of the the R bike is what does it for me.

I've had many R bikes over my thirty plus year relationship with BMW. I rode a K12GT last year before riding the 12RT.

Long story short, I have a very happy 20k. on the 12RT now.

But it's all about personality. The bike that fits for you, is the one that's right.

Everything Matt said is correct.

But I'll add that the soul of the the R bike is what does it for me.

I've had many R bikes over my thirty plus year relationship with BMW. I rode a K12GT last year before riding the 12RT.

Long story short, I have a very happy 20k. on the 12RT now.

But it's all about personality. The bike that fits for you, is the one that's right.

+1

Rhys,

I have never ridden a K-bike. I suspect that I'm not mature enough to own one since I just got a speeding ticket on my F-bike :eek:

My R bike is fine and doesn't enduce the little devil on my shoulder to encourage my right hand twist muscles . . . too much. :grin:

Good luck with your decision. I doubt that you can go too far wrong, which ever bike you choose.

The main things I didn't like on the KLR were; the wind blast at highway speeds was terrible, the Suzuki bandit it took out was far better in that reguard, and that bike had to work way to hard to run at those speeds for any length of time. Where it shined was on two tracks, and fire roads, but getting there was a bugger.

Basically I'm looking for a bike that the wife and I can climb on and head out for a couple days. To get to much of anyplace I can figure on say 150-200 miles that we will have to burn on interstate or 2 lane. I've been looking primarily on cycletrader.com and have been finding some 1150rt's and 1200gt's within the budget that are 2002-2005's with 25K miles or less. I'm not in a huge hurry, but would like to find something in the next month or so. If it was just me I'd be looking at more of a sport bike, but from a practicality and insurance stand point I just can't see that. Basicaly if mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy. One of the biggest challenges is trying to find the same bikes to test ride in the area before commiting on one that may be 500-1000 miles away. One that I was looking at that was only about 300 miles away had already been sold at the time I called. I currently have a message in checking on another bike to see if it is still available in OKC.

Just as everyone has said, the K bikes are from Mars and the R-bikes fron Venus, apples and oranges. I own an R1100RT and a K1200GT and frankly the RT feels like a piece of farm machinery if I ride it after being on the GT for a while. By the time I've planned for a pass on the RT I've executed it on the GT, I mean I can drop down two gears on the RT and it still isn't even close. And no contest in terms of vibration/smoothness either. But even at that I don't know if I'll be selling the RT soon, if ever. It really has an endearing character that is absent on the GT, which almost works too well. And if I'm doing errands in town I prefer the RT, the armchair riding position and relaxed feel is just more appropriate to riding around in traffic than the snarl of the GT. I don't always want to go fast dammit, but for all th electro-trickery there doesn't seem to be a 'relax' button on the GT (although if you're 30 you may not be looking for one yet. :grin:) But get out of the city and onto the open road and you just can't supress the giggles on the GT... it's just so freakin' fast for such a comfortable bike. But two-up where you won't be doing a lot of the hijinks then the RT is probably the ticket. Just not a lot of overlap between these two IMO, except that either will be able to take you as far as you will want to go and in excellent comfort.

Maintenace-wise the RT is easily the more practical for the home mechanic. An advanced amateur can handle the GT but you'll be buying a code reader and some special tools. The RT is actually one of the easier bikes out there for owner maintenance (until you have to lube a spline or replace a clutch on the RT, in which case the GT wins.)

I'd really try to get a test ride on them both if you can. Find a dealer with a used model of each and that shouldn't be too difficult to arrange.

I forgot to add, in addition to being something we can go to up on down the highway it still needs to be suitable for running around town.

my 1150RT gets a real 45mpg, if that's important to you. I really just used that as a "rational" reason to get the bike I wanted.

The main things I didn't like on the KLR were; the wind blast at highway speeds was terrible, the Suzuki bandit it took out was far better in that reguard, and that bike had to work way to hard to run at those speeds for any length of time. Where it shined was on two tracks, and fire roads, but getting there was a bugger.

Basically I'm looking for a bike that the wife and I can climb on and head out for a couple days. To get to much of anyplace I can figure on say 150-200 miles that we will have to burn on interstate or 2 lane. I've been looking primarily on cycletrader.com and have been finding some 1150rt's and 1200gt's within the budget that are 2002-2005's with 25K miles or less. I'm not in a huge hurry, but would like to find something in the next month or so. If it was just me I'd be looking at more of a sport bike, but from a practicality and insurance stand point I just can't see that. Basicaly if mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy. One of the biggest challenges is trying to find the same bikes to test ride in the area before commiting on one that may be 500-1000 miles away. One that I was looking at that was only about 300 miles away had already been sold at the time I called. I currently have a message in checking on another bike to see if it is still available in OKC.

Ah, now you provide the correct question.

If you are looking at original GT version and the previous generation boxer, there are differences.Some of the differences have been pointed out but I disagree about the maintenance.

The original GT is very easy to change all the fluids on.

The coolant is now a 4 year schedule ( I do it more frequently).

Almost 70k miles on mine and no valves that needed adjustment.

On a boxer you'd be looking at 12 valve inspections an most likely hours of time spent adjusting them.

Not a problem, just different.

RT get better mpg, usually, and has a larger gas tank.

RT 40+ (many say 45-50) 6+ gallons.

GT 40 (on a good day) 5+ gallons.

Size?

The RT doesn't fit me as well as the GT because the GT is lsightly forward canted position.

RT is upright.

For me the RT is no where near as comfortable w/too much weight on tailbons.

For some, the GT is less comfortable as they put too much weight on forearms when they should be using MYRP.

The GT has more capability to handle electrics.

We do a bit of 2 up touring in all weather.

We run Motlights, PIAA's, heated seat, cruise, Autocom, XM, and 2 pairs of Gerbings heated gloves, 2 Gerbings jacket liners with no problems as the GT has the highest output or any beemer ( I think).

We use a GIVI 52L topcase and expanded side case lids so we have plenty of room for two and a nice backrest for my wife.

The GT is smoother, faster.

The RT is a bit nimbler (wheelbase etc.) but most of our riding is 2 lane roads and some sweepers.

In tight technical roads the RT may be easier to ride for most.

The original GT is a beautiful machine.

The RT is an organic shape designed to get through the wind w/very little drag.

There are scads of accessories for both bikes.

More used materials for the RT.

A 2 up ride is in order to help you determine which fits your needs best.

After 37 years of boxers, once I had my wife ride the GT there was no going back.

Best wishes.

Tallman,

Thanks for the info. That's the type of thing I was looking for. Right now I'm just waiting to see the right bike come available. Looking to keep it around 8-9K for a 2002-2004 with 30K -40K miles or less with decent rubber and verifiable maintanance records. I think this is within reason from what I have been seeing so far.

The bikes are so different. I've been on both and prefer the power of the GT with the comfort of the RT.

If you're not a speed demon, the RT does the job wonderfully.

I think the styling of the RT is classic. I believe that it's the most beautiful motorcycle ever made and the power is adequate for touring. I just love the throb of a big twin.

NCEngineer
I forgot to add, in addition to being something we can go to up on down the highway it still needs to be suitable for running around town.

This was what finally sold me on the R1150RT

I've owned [mainly] sportbikes for the last 10 years...before that it was standards. In 2002 my buddy Brian decided to get a K1200RS. I had a TLR1000.

We rode all over the place and at a fast pace....Brian never far from me, or leading. The big K never had ANY issues.

I was so impressed with the BMW that in 2005 I bought my own K....but it was the K1200S

black14a.jpg

I loved that bike...but it was wrought with issues (BMS-K replaced, ABS controller replaced.....) and with my pending divorce…….. it had to go.

After I recovered I grabbed a Hayabusa, then an R1 trying to find the right bike...but I decided I was getting too old to be pre-packaged in such a small area for so long...plus I met and married a great gal that ALSO wanted to ride.

Brian had me looking at BMW again..but after years of force bearing down on his wrists from the K12RS I wasn't going to take a page from his diary and have the same issues...I wanted COMFORT. But I wasn't going to sacrifice agility or speed.

Enter the R1150RTP.....The dealer here had several left over hiway patrol units that I could ride. So I took one out and was AMAZED at its ability to maneuver. WOW was this thing flickable...and just went ANYWHERE you pointed it. And it WASN'T huge like it looked...it was rather easy, and LIGHT. And man did it get up and go. I was sold! I had to have one! SO I set out to find the perfect example. I had 3 really good candidates, but I’m picky, and want what I want. SO I flew over 800 miles to the perfect one…bought it…and rode it back home the same day (833 miles in the rain in 12hrs 23 min)

WOW…I could NEVER have done that on ANY other bike……well maybe a goldwing…but who wants to ride a recliner?

I own a motard too and I've always loved how it was a "go anywhere" bike. AT the drop of a hat. Generally the REASON I have a motard is so I CAN just hop-n-go and not worry about lugging anything with me.

rt039.jpg

But I've found the RT JUST as willing to go, and not hinder me in any way when I want to bee-bop or shuffle thru the city.

PLUS...the kids nag me incessantly to ride it at a drop of a hat...so much so that my wife and I haven't had the chance to take a long tour on it..but she's dying too...soon!

I hope you find the right candidate! But I encourage you to find a BMW dealer and see if they have an RT to take out for a few miles…maybe even a ½ day…you will be surprised! I was….so much so I HAD to have one. BEST bike I’ve ever had….and I’ve owned a ton of bikes.

I realy like the looks of that K1200S, but I realy doubt my wife would be comfortable on the back of it for long.

For those on the RT how does it do on the interstate running 75-80 for miles on end? Was there a noticable change in the performance of the RT when it went to the new style with the 1200 motor in comparison to the 1150?

I realy like the looks of that K1200S,

++1 Sharp!!

For those on the RT how does it do on the interstate running 75-80 for miles on end? Was there a noticable change in the performance of the RT when it went to the new style with the 1200 motor in comparison to the 1150?

The RT is great at 75~80 - mine loves that speed! My friend with an 1150rt thinks there's significant enough difference to justify the extra $$ for a R1200RT over the savings of R1150RT. I'm sure others will chime in with their experience. I've not spent enough time on his bike (just a few miles in the country) - but the riding /handlebar position was somewhat different on his R1150 than on my R1200. Might be something to look into, depending on your riding position preference.

Rhys,

First off...I just love Boxer motors. Smooth is nice, soul is better :thumbsup:

I have a 2003 (2002 build) R1150RT and a 2000 (1999 build) R1100R.

The RT will cruise all day in 6th gear, pulling 4k rpm's at 80mph and get you 40+ mpg. Our RT is ridden mainly 2up and loaded (BMW top box and side bags) at 70/80mph speeds when we tour.....the motor hums nicely and is pretty smooth at 4k. Deb loves the bike and finds it comfortable, especially with the top box and pad.

My R runs 4k, 5th gear (5spd box) at 70mph and is a bundle of fun. With side bags you CAN pillion and overnight on the R but Deb doesn't like the rear passenger set-up on it.

IMHO- the RT is a great bike and handles really well loaded up.

NCEngineer

For those on the RT how does it do on the interstate running 75-80 for miles on end?

I found that the ONLY reason my RT would find it's way off the road was because I HAD to get gas at 230 miles when the light came on. Every single other bike I've EVER owned had me BEGGING for that little yellow light to come on @ 140 miles or less so I could climb off and stretch my legs and aching body.

For those on the RT how does it do on the interstate running 75-80 for miles on end?

Good luck keeping it under that. 75-80 is where the RT is in its element. An RT could comfortably cruise at 100+ if the roads you travel would safely allow that.

Good luck keeping it under that. 75-80 is where the RT is in its element. An RT could comfortably cruise at 100+ if the roads you travel would safely allow that.

+1

Utah 21 and US 50 in Nevada allow you to safely cruise at 100+ for miles on end. My R1100RT was right at home at those speeds. 90 mph on I-10 in west Texas is a perfect cruising speed. The RT bikes are in their element at those speeds, and the best thing about them is that when you get off the interstate, they are terrific when pushed in the sweepers and twisties.

NCEngineer
An RT could comfortably cruise at 100+ if the roads you travel would safely allow that.

WERD!

;)

rt023.jpg

Anyone done the actual calc on the theoretical road speed using the Rpms/gearbox ratios/FD ratio and wheel/tire dimensions?

This would not, obviously, allow for load/drag but just curious :Cool:

Welcome!

For the record, I own both a RT and GT. I love them both, but the GT gets a lot more use then the RT. The RT for me is more nimble and such. The GT is just a rocket. I like Rockets though. PM me if you have any questions.

Tom

Archived