IGNORED

I need a change. Test rode a Breva 1100.

Dietrich

Here is my dilemma. I like riding and have since I was 16. I own a 2008 RT with all the farkles, well, I have seen more on this board, but enough. When the weather is right and I am in the mood to ride, I ride around Southern Ontario, know many roads and frankly I am getting bored with the whole scene. I am planning a trip to San Jose in August and arranged to rent a RT there. Will cruise for 7 days. Really looking forward to it. But here at home, I find the RT bulky and heavy on the few short rides that I do. I wish also that it was lower. So, I test rode a 2007 Breva 1100 with only 500 miles on the odometer. The guy can't ride it on account of the angle his knees are at. He added Guzzi side cases, small w/shield and is asking a reasonable price. The bike is lower than the RT, of course not as protected by a super fairing. I really liked the ride though, except for the wind exposure, which I think could be fixed with a better w/shield. The investment is about one third of the RT. Only problem is that the engine had a real peculiar knock on the right side at lower idle speed. Took it to a Guzzi dealer, he had no idea what it is but assured me that it is covered by warranty. So, what do I do? Buy it and ride it 'til the fall and than take it to the dealer to get it fixed. Find out if I like it and then sell the RT? That is kind of where I am going with this. Maybe on Monday he has it sold, but I doubt it.

If anyone has any words of wisdom, I'd appreciate it.

Listen to your heart. Logic has no place in a bike purchase.

Andy

On the contrary, I believe you really need to think this through unless you have enough money to just throw money at the problem... If your gut is telling you there is a problem, pass on it!!!

Keep lookin'. Take a look at some of the other offerings out there. Perhaps you would like the Yamaha FZ1 - new at less then half the price of an RT. There are many, many other choices. Also, dealers a plenty, etc...

If you really, really are bent on the Guzzi, get an extended warranty while it is still in warranty.

bayoubengal
Listen to your heart. Logic has no place in a bike purchase.

Andy

Sorry Boffin but I must respectfully disagree. Don't follow your heart. Your heart falls for every imposter out there. (Think women!) You've got to lead your heart...

Your heart is only right when the all the facts, logic, and data are already in place.

So Canada has a great Guzzi dealership network?

No wait for parts?

If you started a thread saying you looked at a used BMW w/strange engine noise, took it to the dealership and they said they had no idea, but don't worry it's covered under warranty, I guaranatee the thread would get triple digits in responses.

Around here there are still parts problems and myriad stories of warranty work taking months and months and months.

YMMV

Best wishes.

My .02 is pass on it...buying a headache is not worth it. There is a glut of used bikes on the market. Ride some others, or look for another guzzi if that is what you want.

I too looked at a Norge last year....big mistake. Waste of my time and I have no idea why I even considered it other than I like to be a little different than everyone else.

It started "funny" and it seemed not in character with my needs and riding style. Beyond that I have read too many ugly fix it issues with guzzi. But hey, take the plunge if you desire....

Bheckel169

Dietrich,

Let me offer a suggestion. I too had an RT and though I loved it, found it at times to be a bit tall (even with low seat) and top heavy; especially for the western North Carolina roads here. So, I test rode a BMW R 1200R and it is the most fun bike I've ever owned. Shifting like butter, lower center of gravity and carves corners like you can't believe. I think it's the best kept secret in the BMW line. If you're patient, you might find a used one but even then, new ones are much less expensive then an RT.

Test ride a R 1200R and I think you'll find it to be your answer IMHO.

Bruce

I have to agree with Bruce... i think that the Roadster is one of the best kept secret's of the BMW line. My wife has had 2 of them, and i don't even want to ride an R1200R for fear of losing my RT.

That and the fact that i heard an old-time Guzzi wrench that he would give a plugged nickle for any of the new ones...

again, YMMV

See you live in Canada, which is almost as cold as Northeast Wisconsin today :)

When I think that a change would be fun, I wait until I'm riding home in the evening and then stick a leg out from behind the RT's fairing. There is nothing like a nice ice-cold blast on the knee to warm my heart for my RT.

See you live in Canada, which is almost as cold as Northeast Wisconsin today :)

When I think that a change would be fun, I wait until I'm riding home in the evening and then stick a leg out from behind the RT's fairing. There is nothing like a nice ice-cold blast on the knee to warm my heart for my RT.

X2

Out this weekend in "summer" (ha!!) near the lakes where it was 55 I was very happy to have the protection of the RT. I couldn't go back to an open bike.

Why not pick up a 2nd smaller bikes for fun and short local trips etc....I ride the K75 all the time these days but still love my RT for the longer trips....

Bheckel169

Of course, your summer may not be that hot, but riding an RT in hot weather can be stifling with no air to your body. Full protection works well in one season and maybe not so great in another. Good cold weather apparel and a heated vest will do the trick if it gets too cold.

Test drive the R 1200R. I dare you.

Bruce

Bruce, thanks for the dare. I had the "R" on the shortlist. So, I will go out and look for one to ride and go from there. Without that knock in the engine, I probably would have bought the Breva. Rides nice and has a good feel to it, right height too. But the "R" might be just the right thing. I also have a R27 to bum around on, but it is just too slow for me.

Thanks for all the good advice guys, that's why I post here.

U need another bike...

I went for a "pre-ridden" R1100R...if u can find one....great little bike, easy to maintain and more fun than a box of frogs :grin:

D,

We just sold another R1200 R.

Toruing screen, bags.

5 min to remove those and you have a

naked roadster w/109 HP.

W/them on it's an RT lite.

ABS, telelever, steering damper, excellent HP/wt ratio, excellent mpg, a winner.

I test rode this big Breva when it was introduced (because my wife had 750 Breva back then).

Compared to 12RT - no suspension, no balls aka. power feels like electric motor, diving front under braking, heavier than my sins, no ABS, Italian reliability.

And the good parts were: nice looks, bargain when second hand, sounds great with Mistral exhaust.

Under the line: not even in my wildest dreams would swap my RT to Breva - You lose.

Another voice encouraging a Roadster test ride. I rented one several years back: quicker, lighter, and more steady in sweepers than my RT at the time.

And looking down at those thrust out jugs at speed, I half-expected to lift off. It was a hoot to ride.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a follow up to my original posting from a few weeks ago. I did not buy the Breva, even though I liked it quite a bit, but had obvious reservations. I took the advice and test rode a R1150R. I found a nice unit at a dealer and ended up buying it. It is a 2001, owned previously by an older gentlemen who traded up to an RT. Very sharp bike in mint condition. It rides great, very familiar handling etc and I like it. Except for the low seat, which is a real "Nut-Buster". I can't believe they build stuff like that. So I have to find a better solution. Here is a picture of my little collection: '38 DKW SB 200, '62 R27 and the new addition '01 R1150R. Great colour match, don't you think?

2001%20R1150R%20001a.jpg

My '08 RT is up for sale. I can't list it in the Classifieds since I am selling it through my company. But if anyone is interested here is a link: https://www.dlsaccelerator.com/webasp/internet_access/feature_sheet_pics.asp?Dealer=247&Del=247&L=1&Stocknum=D08124-148

Thanks again for all the good advice. I hear there is a new RT in the works, maybe I'll look at that in the future.

Ride safely.

Keep in mind that when you equip an R with bags and an effective windshield, it will cost almost as much as an RT. Then it becomes a question of value

Archived