IGNORED

2009 R1200RT - Prices in June 2009

Adan

Looking at a fully-loaded (Premium, ASC, TPM, Radio) RT at the local stealer.

What is a good deal this month on a 1200RT?

BMW took the (public) incentives away this month, possibly there are some (non-public) incentives to the dealer....

Is $1,500 - $2,000 off list reasonable right now on an '09?

I bought an '09 last week at the Plano dealership - cruise, ESA, etc. - but no radio or TPM. I had a trade-in and got an extended warranty, which complicates the pricing somewhat, but paid cash for the balance - which got the "discount" (per the dealer) to a little over $2.3k. BMW was still offering the low rate or $1,250 in accessories at the time, but the dealer said he had a non-advertised dealer rebate of $1k at the time for a cash sale as option also. I also bought on the last day of the month, which may have helped some. Not sure if the dealer rebate is still valid though since it wasn't advertised.

I went back there early yesterday to pick up a topcase - they still had the loaded silver one I test drove and a loaded black one on the floor - I assume you are looking at one of those. I didn't need a radio (will probably do GPS/I-pod thing), so I opted for the non-radio version.

Hope this helps some for what it's worth. Good luck with it.

Chris

McKinney, TX

WOW!! In Canada we pay list price, that's it no negotiating. All I received was 15% of accessories. I purchased my 09 RT on May 4th.

Chris,

Thanks for the useful info; I too will have a trade (2005 R1200GS) so we will see what kind of deal I can make on one of the two loaded RTs, I really don't care about the color, even the beige :grin:

This would be my second 1200RT, the radio is admittedly my only reason for giving up the 1200GS... I know many will find this highly objectionable, but unless you have a 1200RT with radio for trade, please keep the flames out of this thread ;)

If it doesn't work out, I'll be getting some ArizonaBob plugs :thumbsup:

In any case, hope to see you on a ride sometime soon!

Lonestar BMW Riders

BMW DFW

WOW!! In Canada we pay list price, that's it no negotiating. All I received was 15% of accessories. I purchased my 09 RT on May 4th.

Not sure I'd generalize about all of Canada. It depends where you are, and whether there's competition, i.e., more than one dealer in your vicinity. I live in Ottawa, so we have one dealer here, and two in Montreal. I certainly did not pay list for my R12RT, though that was three years ago.

ArizonaAl, I think, though Bob has a nice ring to it. Maybe he should change. I'd recommend the ArizonaAl approach myself. :wave:

That is why you sneak across the border and import one.

Poster: spots

Subject: Re: 2009 R1200RT - Prices in June 2009

Originally Posted By: Lmar

That is why you sneak across the border and import one

i think I will for the next one!

At the risk of drawing the ire of BMW dealers or mods, I can tell you I did exhaustive investigative work on BMW bike pricing, including contacts in the dealer network. As you know, it's not as easy to get dealer cost on bikes as it is on cars but, it can be done. Here's what I discovered when I recently negotiated the deal on my 09 RT.

Dealer markup is anywhere from 10 - 16% over cost. There is no "markup" on shipping. That does not include the profit in "dealer prep" or "admin" charges that some dealer tack on.

Also, the markup on factory installed accessories is NOT the same mark up at the dealer level. There is no 30% markup over cost for ESA for example. It's the same as the bike discount (10-16%).

You have to do the math backwards therefore, to figure cost.

The markup variance is partly attributable to whether or not the dealer is an exclusive BMW dealer or sell other brands. More brands = higher cost to dealer, therefore less markup (Can't exceed MSRP). Other "costs" include floor planning etc.,

Your goal should be to buy the bike at a reasonable price, allowing a reasonable profit but not pay MSRP, plus "prep". They won't "remove" prep from their sales order but they will discount the bike more.

So, for an 09 with most of the basic options like ESA, Hgrips, Hseat, blah blah, not including options like stereo, bmw gps, tpm, asc, ..... a $1200 - $1500 discount off MSRP BEFORE factory rebates is not way off the mark.

Find a high volume, BMW motorcycles only dealer and watch it happen.

Happy Hunting.

Archived