IGNORED

Dakar limited to 450cc: KTM Out

UberXY

The organizers have limited bikes in the next running of the South American Dakar to 450cc.

Apparently, KTM had taken privateer contracts and made hard plans to build around fifty 690s for the race, and now they cannot be used. KTM has decided not to participate under the new rules.

No more:

8830_18020882808.jpg

My bet is they'll be back next year with the baddest four fitty you've ever seen.

KTM ain't a company to roll over when it comes to off-road racing. :Cool:

Now, is BMW gonna step up with their (Husky) 450? We'll see.

The 690 gave KTM a distinct advantage. Whether or not they want to race without that advantage remains to be seen. Certainly they can't be expected to develop and field both factory and privateer teams on 450's as early as next year.

Perhaps in 2011 or 2012 we'll see them return. Let's hope so.

You're probably right, Fernando.

When the class was unlimited, KTM kicked BMW ass with the 950. P/D subsequently made a rules change, limiting CC's to sub 800. KTM met the challenge with the 690 and...kicked ass again.

Seems to me the powers that be that control P/D can't deal with a company that can answer the call to their rules changes.

I think they're looking for another NASCAR series, i.e., boring races.

If indeed that's what they want, they'll kill the race.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
You're probably right, Fernando.

When the class was unlimited, KTM kicked BMW ass with the 950. P/D subsequently made a rules change, limiting CC's to sub 800. KTM met the challenge with the 690 and...kicked ass again.

Seems to me the powers that be that control P/D can't deal with a company that can answer the call to their rules changes.

I think they're looking for another NASCAR series, i.e., boring races.

If indeed that's what they want, they'll kill the race.

Even on 450s the difference in talent, be it riding or navigating, both which must be done simultaneously will make for a very UN-Nascar like event.

This is probably just another rash decision by the ASO to control speeds. It's not particularly unfounded, but considering that El Dakaro has served as a test bed for production motorcycles, a very hot segment of which is in the 650cc range, I'm not surprised that KTM is looking to do their development elsewhere.

OTOH, Honda, Kawasaki and Suzuki can provide some strong competition in the 450 range. If only they could hire the talent of Marc Coma or Cyril Despres.

..... talent ....

There in lies the rub, doesn't it?

The Japanese won't pay for their services, & the Europeans aren't interested in scaling back their teams to meet the ever changing rules.

KTM has had the enduro market locked up for the better part of thirty years. Why should they fold just to comply with arbitrary rules now?

skinny_tom (aka boney)

No more:

8830_18020882808.jpg

Yeah, instead we'll get some of this:

dakar_photo_maindru_022.JPG

0174359ja8.jpg

20090106_112751_g.jpg

dakar_photo_maindru_001.JPG

Archived