IGNORED

ipod usage while riding

jimswms

I'm planning on trying out my ipod while riding, but, noticed that the touchpad does not work with my gloves on! Any solutions?????

thanks,

Jim

although I don't use an IPOD, I am able to select "random" on my MP# and enjoy listing to the various artists. In fact, it helps me at times, you see, I put some music on it that I absolutely hate, it "awakens" me when it is played.

Happy Ridin' thumbsup.gif

Jim, I use an iPod Shuffle with the little rain-jacket thingie when on the bike. Super easy to operate, even with gloves. No display or playlists though.

Jerry_75_Guy

"Jim", the "bubble man" is correct; the Remote Remote is the answer.

You can place the iPod in your jacket, tankbag, or glove box and still have control. Bear in mind that there arn't any remotes of any kind that give you total control over the music except one (can't remember the name) and the keypad for it is nearly the size of your TV remote: too big for use on a bike, plus I think it is a IR unit and must have 'line of sight' to work properly.

Just remember to use an isolator loop, or capacitor (sp) in line with the power source if you plan on powering the iPod with bike power.

Just set up some good 'playlists' and you're good to go with good music longer than your bladder will hold out with the Remote Remote set up .

By the way, what are you other Remote remote users doing to "weather proof"

your key pad while on the road??

well, this is what I ended up ordering:

http://www.ahernstore.com/ijet.html

what sold me is the larger buttons AND, more importantly, water resistant! At least thats better than nothing. I haven't received it yet, and will post back when I do, but, it seems like a good solution for now.

Jim

Jim is right on. I've been using the iJet / iPod combo on my GS for months. Works great, and I especially like the immediate mute in case I don't want any sound. I mounted it to the left mirror stalk on the GS so I can operate it without moving my hand from the grip. Good stuff,...

John

I bought an Iway500 nav unit that has 10mb for music. I downloaded my ipod. The unit is "hot" (vs battery) and plugs into BMW lighter plug (w adapter). It has an earplug socket. I use a pencil eraser to enter data (good with gloves).

I was concerned about my Ipod battery life on a long trip. I saw tip on one of these threads about a device that plugged into a lighter socket and had a USB recptacle at the other end. It charges the Ipod Shuffle.

Jerry_75_Guy
well, this is what I ended up ordering:

http://www.ahernstore.com/ijet.html

what sold me is the larger buttons AND, more importantly, water resistant! At least thats better than nothing. I haven't received it yet, and will post back when I do, but, it seems like a good solution for now.

Jim

Great!! NOW I find a water resistant RF transmitter after getting all comfy with my Remote Remote! FFffff!!!

I use my original 1st Generation 5gb iPod just for riding. It has the old rotating selection dial that works great even with winter gloves. You might find one on eBay pretty cheap.

When you use the IJet it is plugged into the top of the Ipod using the speaker port. If that is in use with the Ijet, how do you get "audio out" from the Ipod?

grizzly660fan

I have been using the Ijet for about 4 months. the unit works very well! only problem I had was that the ijet mounts on top (as mentioned by others) and the case I had for the ipod didn't work. I got one of those gelatin type cases and trimmed the top of it to fit the ijet.

yes, ijet does mount on top in headphone jack but has a headphone jack built into it so your headphones plug into the ijet.

it doesn't allow you to change playlists and so forth, but works great for changing volume, forward/reverse track, play/pause.

I use mine with gloves and it works pretty good.

grizzly660fan

yes, I have used ijet in the rain. I had the ipod in a waterproof pocket in my riding jacket however the keyfob was exposed and worked flawlessly. it didn't get direct rain on it, but some I am sure it was a serious downpour for about 30 minutes.

Archived