IGNORED

K1300GT farkle install photo log . . .

Firefight911

Firefight911

It just wouldn't be right, afterall, for me not to do something to the GT.

Pretty easy stuff made easier with the accessibility of the bike itself.

I installed the Zumo 550, Autocom Active-Plus (kit 200), GXM-30 XM, SPOT messenger, Gerbing connections (F&R), Centech fuse panel, and bar risers. That's it. Done.

Here ya go.

Overview of the GXM-30, Zumo, SPOT.

554148256_zFFQm-M.jpg

SPOT is in place via the RAM handlebar mount and arm that comes with the Zumo 550. The SPOT RAM cradle is from Cyclenutz.

554149540_VwdDM-M.jpg

The Zumo is mounted with the stock BMW mount with the Touratech locking mount added to that.

The bar risers are by Heli Bar.

Everything was a direct bolt on with zero mods necessary except a realignment of the holes to secure the Touratech mount to the BMW mount.

554148378_xdTua-M.jpg

The GXM-30 is mounted via a ZTechnik Tech Mount.

554149428_wQVwc-M.jpg

Autocom and Centech mounted with tons of space to spare under the passenger seat.

554148871_iNXdC-M.jpg

Here you can see the relay that gets it's power via a tapped lead from the accessory socket. I did this to reduce wire run. It would be just as easy to run 2 wires to the front and hook in to the GPS connector with an available BMW "repair connector." Again, I went the shorter wire run method as the accessory socket is less than 12 inches below the relay location.

You can also see in this photo the front Gerbing connection and the rear passenger Autocom lead and Gerbing connection.

554149001_DNXA6-M.jpg

Here is the passenger set up when in use.

554149138_FWnVP-M.jpg

B2B mount with velcro. I planned to have it in the glove box but the cable ended up about 5 inches too short to close the cover properly without pulling the wire.

554149784_WN23u-M.jpg

Of course, push to talk.

554149655_GDtKQ-M.jpg

Jamie and I ran up to Tahoe the other day and all systems worked flawlessly. We had to stop to make a minor volume adjustment to Jamie's headset but that was it for the duration. We are both running AzAl's custom molded ear plug speakers and it is just amazing how wonderful it all is with that set up.

554149284_4wqzt-M.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Radar detector,,He gets pulled over,,Cop says,Whats your hurry,on your way to a fire?? He pulls his badge out,Yes I am,,On his way he goes,, :rofl: Nice job Phil,,Did Jamie help???

Firefight911
Radar detector,,He gets pulled over,,Cop says,Whats your hurry,on your way to a fire?? He pulls his badge out,Yes I am,,On his way he goes,, :rofl: Nice job Phil,,Did Jamie help???

You do know me, don't you! And, yes, she helped! She loves doing that stuff with me. I know, I know, I am one lucky SOB!!!! :grin:

Nice work! This time around I put all my gear inside of my tank bag. I had everything routed like you did on my RT but I went a different route on my 1300.

Where did you run the Gerbing power from, direct from the battery?

Firefight911

Where did you run the Gerbing power from, direct from the battery?

Off the Centech fuse panel.

I'm jealous. :/ Very nice bike and a great job of setting it up. :thumbsup:

Just wondering . . . what use do you make of the SPOT? Just for logging/tracking? Or . . . ? I've looked at them in the past, and thought it might be a real lifesaver in remote areas that are unserved by cell phone coverage.

Firefight911
Just wondering . . . what use do you make of the SPOT? Just for logging/tracking? Or . . . ? I've looked at them in the past, and thought it might be a real lifesaver in remote areas that are unserved by cell phone coverage.

It is a great way to let friends/family follow along on a trip. I have the track mode that updates my position every 10 minutes. Let's them know about when I'll be somewhere so they can have the drinks ready! :grin:

I'm jealous of the room you have under your seat. On my '07 1200GT the space where you put the Autocom is occupied by a black box of electronics of some sort. (Wonder what it is and where it went on the 1300.) I could use that extra space for better placement of my radio.

I'd be careful of that radio. Put an "oh shoot" tether on it. I had my camera stuck to my dash with the heavy duty dual lock for my cross country run and it popped off several times and dangled by the tether.

Whats up with that philips screw driver next to the Autocom,,Is that the GT tool kit :rofl:

I got a chuckle from that as well :grin:

Not just a screw driver. Look on the other side and you'll see 2 more tools for removing those pesky torx fasteners. That's real value for $18,000.

Loggiebone

Nice work with getting your bike set-up. Regarding SPOT...I have one (actually I'm on my 3rd) because they don't work well here in GA(really, a waste of money...but, I digress). But, looking at your set-up, your SPOT is too close to your GPS. SPOT says they have to be a minimum of 12" apart. I finally had to put mine on the back of the bike (Husky, use it for off road) with the GPS on the bars.

My track log (many many tests) would log only 3 or 4 in as much as an 8 hour period. One of SPOTS excuses was because of the GPS/SPOT location. So...if problems, you might consider moving SPOT away from the GPS. FWIW.

Doug

Firefight911
Nice work with getting your bike set-up. Regarding SPOT...I have one (actually I'm on my 3rd) because they don't work well here in GA(really, a waste of money...but, I digress). But, looking at your set-up, your SPOT is too close to your GPS. SPOT says they have to be a minimum of 12" apart. I finally had to put mine on the back of the bike (Husky, use it for off road) with the GPS on the bars.

My track log (many many tests) would log only 3 or 4 in as much as an 8 hour period. One of SPOTS excuses was because of the GPS/SPOT location. So...if problems, you might consider moving SPOT away from the GPS. FWIW.

Doug

Had my SPOT for about a year and it has been near flawless the entire time. Good info that I will keep on file in case I have any issues though.

Sorry that your experience has been less than favorable as I can't imagine not having it.

Firefight911
What microphones are you using in your helmets?

Autocom mic that comes with the kit. Nothing else. Speakers were clipped off and wires were protected and covered so as to prevent any issues as we use custom molded ear plug speaker sets by AzAl, of this board.

Bill_Walker

What, that's all? Doesn't Touratech or somebody have a larger catalog for the K1300GT yet?

Nice looking installation, there, Phil. Do you not use a tank bag? If you do, can you still see the GPS mounted there?

Firefight911
What, that's all? Doesn't Touratech or somebody have a larger catalog for the K1300GT yet?

Nice looking installation, there, Phil. Do you not use a tank bag? If you do, can you still see the GPS mounted there?

Har Dee Har Har!!

I am no fan of tank bags! I avoid them at all costs. Being as the mount location is the BMW stock set up, I would assume (hate doing that though!!) it is fine, however, I have no first hand knowledge of this.

• 4 weeks later...

Phil,

How did you run the wires from the battery to the Centech? did you run them above or below the tank? I just got my Eastern Beaver PC-8 and wiring harness and am trying to figure out which way to run the wiring and mounting of the fuse block. also did you put in any extra powerlets on the bike? Very clean install of everything you did.

Firefight911

Wires were strung above the tank and below the outer body work, positive on one side, negative the other. It took a bit of fishing as I did not entirely remove the body work but it wasn't too bad.

I have a tender harness attached direct to battery with a 20 am fuse. This runs up and out near the steering head. I have an adapter that provides both an SAE connector and cigarette adapter. This is attached and terminates in to the glove compartment. I can attach my phone to power and also have any accessory plug available, such as Slime pump, etc.

BeniciaRT_GT
I'm jealous of the room you have under your seat. On my '07 1200GT the space where you put the Autocom is occupied by a black box of electronics of some sort. (Wonder what it is and where it went on the 1300.) I could use that extra space for better placement of my radio.

Tom, sorry for the delay, but I just came across this thread...

That space is where they put the factory alarm and (I think) the tire pressure monitor system boxes...

You must have the factory alarm...

Geoffrey Ashton

Great tutorial Phil - just about to go through the same process with my K1300GT.

Just with - Garmin zumo 550 and UHF bike to bike to start with, am using a baehr intercomm and going to give the easternbeaver pc8 relay box a go. Will probably go to the GPS connector for the relay triggering. ( is much involved in doing the accessory power connection)

Another question, what is the rating on the relay that you used - Also Eastern beaver talk about a diode in the relay trigger to prevent reverse current on triggering, back through the Canbus - did you bother with this.

As Matt said last wekend at the Jax Tech Day, I guess you didn't drag it deep enough through the Touratech pond. :grin:

Firefight911

Another question, what is the rating on the relay that you used - Also Eastern beaver talk about a diode in the relay trigger to prevent reverse current on triggering, back through the Canbus - did you bother with this.

I am running a 70 amp relay which is WAY OVERKILL!!!!!! All you need is a standard automotive 30 amp to run everything you could want.

No, there is no diode.

• 3 weeks later...
Firefight911

I have been working with my buddy and doing a series of installs for him on his K1300GT and he completely surprised me and got me the ZTechnik VStream windshield, the smaller of the two that are available, for helping him out. Way over the top, thanks Guy!!!!!!!!

That being said, I installed it, took all of 2 minutes, and my initial report is quite favorable over the stock one.

The wind grabbing at my elbows is completely eliminated and the air flow is very smooth. When the screen is all the way down, the lower, outer edges of the new screen contact the bodywork slightly. I just raise the screen ever so slightly and it is perfect. With the screen in this down position, I get exceptional wind/weather protection in every way and in every area. I also still get airflow through my helmet top vents. Very smooth and no buffeting to report with no helmet rock whatsoever.

When I raise the shield to it highest position there is a very big still spot I am in. Only draw back to this position is that there is a bit of a concussive wind effect that I hear. This would be disconcerting on a long ride but, the reality of it is I no longer need to raise my shield to this height to gain the protection I had with my stock screen. And, to boot, the air flow is better than stock so it is a definite improvement. Lowering the windscreen off it's highest setting to about 3/4 height or less and the concussive thrum is eliminated with what appears to be complete protection from the elements. No rain riding with it yet so we will have to await the next rain to know for sure.

I think it looks good on there too. I will have to post some pics in the next couple days with the new screen and with the old one laying over the new one for comparison.

I have not had Jamie on back to see how the 2up performance is but will report once we've had a chance to ride this way.

2 thumbs up for the VStream on the K13GT so far.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to stear this another direction, But how do you like the K1300GT overall? Honest review would be great.

I'm thinking of moving from the RT to the GT. I know these "opinoins" are subjective and we all look at things differently. So....please just describe the overall bike as you know it. Like's, dislikes, ect. Compare to any previuos bike?

Thanks,

Patrick

I recently (2 months 2,000 miles ago) moved from a R1100RT to a K1300GT and have been having severe buyer's regret. The GT has been plagued with multiple issues that seems to affect many 13GT's -- switchgear and stalling. Dealer's ability to resolve these has been disappointing.

Quality issues aside, the GT's riding position is more aggressive, but not as comfortable for me as the GT. I spent lots of money lowering pegs, raising bars and it is better but not perfect. The drivers seat is awful. Wind protection and resistance to wind noise ares not nearly as good on the GT and, again, I spent money for a bigger screen which helps some.

We thought passenger room would be better on the GT but it is not. Also, the big top box backrest is too upright for my wife so I spent more money replacing it with the small box, which is similar in design to the RT's factory top case.

The GT engine is faster and smooth but lacks the character and sound of the RT. It doesn't have the cruising "sweet spot" from 60 - 80 mph of the RT. The new R1200RT is even better in this regard, based on test rides. However we found the 2up riding position on the R1200RTto be too cramped compared to the RT (and GT) so it was not a viable option for us.

The RT was easily user serviceable and I never saw a dealer with it -- was able to do all the work myself. The GT is much less user friendly with all its electronic whizbank stuff. Sure I have warranty now, but requires expensive dealer service to maintain the warranty.

Not to be all negative, the GT has a few advantages such as cruise, ESA, Xeon lights and ability to pass anything on the road.

Finally, there is the matter that I had no payment with the old bike, but do with this one, so that probably colors my thinking.

Many people love the GT's so YMMV.

Patrick,

As you stated, a motorcycle is a personal and subjective matter. To each their own, but, there are still things one can glean from others thoughts on them. Here's mine.

The K1300GT is my eighth BMW and 17th motorcycle overall. For its intended use in my stable, it is the best at what it does.

I currently have an F800GS for Adventure, off road, stuff. My wife has the F650GS (twin) for the same and is her all around touring, day ride, sporty, motorcycle. The K1300GT is "our" bike and has the purpose of being there for long days in the saddle, two up, and strafing the entire US, one corner at a time.

My background stems from a primarily street, sportbike, roadrace slant. I feel this is one of the most important things to understand when inquiring one's opinion on a motorcycle. With this, you can start to understand their perspective when giving a viewpoint.

As for the GT, I can honestly say it is probably the best motorcycle I have ever owned, for its purpose. I can also say the same thing for my F800GS. Again, for it's intended purpose.

The ergonomics on this bike are excellent. I have added the barbacks, as this post indicates. One of the main reasons for this is that the bike sees very long days in the saddle and I have a pretty messed up neck that I just underwent surgery for. The stock set up for this bike is fantastic and if not for my neck issues, I would probably have left it stock.

At 6'1" and 205 lbs. I find the reach to the bars natural. The leg positioning, again, natural. The leg room is more compact than some, the RT, but, based on my background, it is very comfortable and I can ride all day with no issues whatsoever.

The seat, as stock, starts out a bit firm and immediately gives the impression that this is one that will need replacing. I took the advice of several local riders who have the K12GT and just rode it for 4000 miles with no changes. They indicated that the seat gets better with some miles on it and ends up becoming a very good platform. They were right and the stock seat has become very comfortable. One of the best I've had.

Overall, the ergonomics are excellent for long days in the saddle and are equally adept at moving around on while strafing the corners at something just below warp speed.

The ride:

This is where the GT just fails to let you down and, once you've adapted your riding style to the GT, it becomes one of its best attributes.

My GT has ESAII. If you've ever read any of the posts I involve myself in when it comes to suspension you know I am an avid fan of the aftermarket, have strong ill will for the stock, and am insistent that the rider become knowledgeable on suspension set up and then spend the time to actually set it up correctly.

The ESAII, while not capable of the same level of control and adjustment as a quality aftermarket setup, is very good and covers a good 85% of the riding envelope I operate within. Only when I decide to ride in the manner of my youth, or with certain hoons on this board, do I find the limitations of this suspension to adequately control the bike. For GT riding, and long distance sport touring, it functions extremely well. Do NOT compare this to any interaction with ESAI. They are light years apart!!!

You have to understand here that your riding style and interaction with the bike is not the same as it is with the GT. You need to be an active participant with this bike and get your self involved with the process. Of course, when just cruising around, enjoy the ride. When dipping your feet in to the sporting character of this bike, get involved! The Ride Smart technique is very functional on this bike, as all bikes, but it just makes the experience so much better when you engage your legs, lock yourself in, weight the pegs, and smoothly ask the GT to do what you want it to do. If you ham fist it, she will happily laugh at you and carry you, effortlessly, through the corner, however; if you can start to ride with forethought and purpose and start having a two way relationship with her, she will reward you with a fantastic date. And, she'll light your proverbial cigarette for you afterward! It makes a difference on this bike, get involved!

The motor:

Uhhhh, yea, the motor. I think this motor is one of the most smooth and powerful things ever created. It has a dead flat torque curve that starts at about 3500 rpm and goes all the way up to the stratosphere. Same with the horsepower.

Now, it is all great to espouse the power and torque, BUT, what really matters is how useful this is in the real world. It flat works! Period!

While the RT is down shifting and whipping itself into a frothy furor of engine cacophony, the GT just motivates past that RV in front of you. Oh, and you never shifted once! While running your favorite set of twisty tarmac, you find yourself healed over and in a 4th gear instead of 3rd. No worries, just twist and watch as the bike carves a beautiful line through the corner as your tach and speedo rise perfectly. Just remember though, that power can easily overwhelm gravity. When this happens, just know that as the tach and speedo rise, so does the front wheel!

The brakes:

I really haven't much to say on them other than this -

HANG ON!!!!!

Best brakes put on a bike yet. One dislike here though. Get the Tech Spec grip covering as the tank is very slick and it is very nice to have something your knees can squeeze so you don't place any more weight than is absolutely necessary on your arms and wrists.

It is also here where you realize the huge beauty of the suspension and how it separates the braking from the suspension action and steering inputs. What an absolute joy and you really start to get in to trail braking deeper in to those certain corners that reward this style of riding.

2up:

My wife absolutely loves being on this bike!! She loved the R1200ST we had, though it wore on her after a long day as it was just too tight for her long day comfort. The counter to this is her thoughts on the RT. Here she felt comfortable and thoroughly enjoyed her time. On the GT, she feels as though she has more room, can become more involved when I wick up the candle, and is more a part of the process. One thing to note, she feels she sits higher on the GT than the RT. She is fine on either but this can be an issue with some passengers. Best example on this is Larry (Whip) and Louise. Larry has written a very good post concerning this.

As an added perspective, Jamie HATED being on our R1200GS Adventure. Very detached, very poor ergonomics and she sat WAY too high. Her words: "I was a whip antenna."

A day in the saddle:

Longest day in the saddle - 950 miles, 14-1/2 hours from CO to CA when I came home from my CO trip. Got off the bike and felt as though I could have gone on for hours more. Most long days for me/us involve 400 miles in a day or more. I/We always feel we could go more.

As you've read this, I am sure you can see that I love this bike. That is ok. Though an experience as you have asked for is always going to be subjective, I have tried to be objective with it. With that in mind, here is what I don't like.

The stock (tall version) windscreen. Although I truly feel it is an excellent screen, it lacks for me. A long day on the saddle brings out the little things in a bike. These are what become big things over time. The stock windscreen allowed air to grab at my elbows and would cause some jacket flapping in this area. This becomes an annoyance with time. The aftermarket ZTechnik screen fixed this.

The Metzeler Z6 tire. I've never been a fan of this tire. I've burned through something like 3 or 4 sets on various bikes with the same feeling every time. Hated it! That being said, I started to appreciate this tire slightly more during my trip to CO. The tire gripped better than I remembered and was stable but, it was very heavy on turn in and gave way too much "feedback" to the bars. This confuses a rider as you receive information that is not relevant to the available traction, creates a numbness to what is going on with the front end and essentially disconnects you from the bike.

Once I swapped tires to the Michelin PR2 (NOT 'B' spec) on the rear and the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT front it was as if I had bought an entirely new motorcycle. The tire turned in to a corner effortlessly. It holds a line with your hands in your pockets. It allows mid corner adjustments without any talking back from the bike.

I post this to let you know that this bike, IMO, should not have the Z6 on it. What a horrible, IMO, tire! Plus, I had it worn out at 4500 miles.

What else? Hmmm, there is this thing about me not being able to ride right now!!!! One month so far. Hopefully no more than one more to go! Darn neck surgery!!!

Jamie rode it yesterday and has now indicated that I need to go get myself a replacement as I am probably not getting this one back! Great!

It is important to note the "issues" with this bike. As has previously been posted, yes, the bike has had a recall on it and had a poor design on the switch clusters and there are several that have had a stall issue.

I am having the brake recall done now (that's why Jamie rode it in). This consists of nothing more than placing a foam "baffle" into the reservoir. This stops the agitation of the brake fluid which can get air in the brake fluid.

Mine had the switch cluster issue. The original design of the first bikes that rolled out had these on them. They had a tendency to fail when they got hot (as in from sitting under the sun, not from use). BMW redesigned the switches and has since resolved the issue on all the new bikes. Existing switches are/have being/been replaced.

The stalling issue. Yes, mine is experiencing this. What is happening is as you roll to a stop light/sign and down shift, the bike periodically stalls when you clutch at these slow speeds, low RPM scenarios. BMW has acknowledged the issue, is working on a fix, and has (2 weeks ago) come out with a stop gap to try to help until they can get a better resolve for owners of the K13 series motorcycle.

The stop gap involves cleaning the injectors, throttle body butterflies and checking for any codes. The consensus seems to be that this is working in half the bikes it is being done on. The frustration comes in BMW supposedly indicating it could be an issue with high ethanol based fuels. BMW needs to know that this problem has been felt globally and not all countries have ethanol in their fuels.

It seems that the bike goes to an overly lean condition, the RPMs drop, and the ECU can not compensate and catch the condition before the RPMs drop below the point of recovery.

I would guess that the fix will come with a new flash update to the fuel map once they can come up with one that still meets the emissions issues, etc. and doesn't result in another issue of overheating catalytic converters, etc. We'll see.

Long winded, but, hopefully, insightful to the experience of the GT from one has has one and has, so far, put just a tick over 7000 miles on it.

I installed the following on a friend's K1300GT with 600 miles on it yesterday:

*Fuzeblock

*Autocom with multiple accessories

*Zumo 550 and mount plus wiring

*Vision X Solstice LED lights on custom Mounts on the forks.

*P3 lights

I'll post some pics later.

Jim :Cool:

*Fuzeblock

*P3 lights

Is it later yet?

:lurk:

*Fuzeblock

*P3 lights

Is it later yet?

Tony - be patient! :grin:

*Fuzeblock

*P3 lights

Is it later yet?

Tony - be patient! :grin:

It's Tina's bike, and she wants to post the pics! Unfortunately I have them at my house! :grin:

Patrick,

The seat, as stock, starts out a bit firm and immediately gives the impression that this is one that will need replacing. I took the advice of several local riders who have the K12GT and just rode it for 4000 miles with no changes. They indicated that the seat gets better with some miles on it and ends up becoming a very good platform. They were right and the stock seat has become very comfortable. One of the best I've had.

I don't know if this saddle is anything like the one on the K1200GT, but that stock seat is the worst - even for BMW - stock seat ever put on a bike. Shear misery. I lived with mine for 4,000 miles and changed it off for a Corbin. Much more support. The stock seat was pure mush. This is the first good comment I've ever heard about the seat on this series bike from anyone.

The ESAII, while not capable of the same level of control and adjustment as a quality aftermarket setup, is very good and covers a good 85% of the riding envelope I operate within. Only when I decide to ride in the manner of my youth, or with certain hoons on this board, do I find the limitations of this suspension to adequately control the bike. For GT riding, and long distance sport touring, it functions extremely well. Do NOT compare this to any interaction with ESAI. They are light years apart!!!

Don't understand why not to compare it. I'm on my second bike with ESA (the other was a K1200R). ESAI is plenty enough capable and, as far as I'm concerned, the fewer choices available, the better. It becomes a distraction as it is. Can't imagine having even more choice. Absolutely enough flexibility and control with ESAI. I also have two bikes with Ohlins, an '07 R1200S and a Harley Sportster. Great set-ups but need manual adjustment for 2-up. I like things simple and ESAI has no flaws that needed fixing. I'm sure ESAII is wonderful, just not essential or revolutionary. Both systems are mere convenience items and the jury is still out for me until after replacement costs come in at changeout time.

Just my $.02 worth

Curt

Patrick,

As you stated, a motorcycle is a personal and subjective matter. To each their own, but, there are still things one can glean from others thoughts on them. Here's mine.

The K1300GT is my eighth BMW and 17th motorcycle overall. ..........

Long winded, but, hopefully, insightful to the experience of the GT from one has has one and has, so far, put just a tick over 7000 miles on it.

Sorry for the highjack - what an awesome review I agree with everything - so very well said.

I went from an RT which i liked very much to the GT and have not looked back.

Excellent write up.

• 10 months later...
Firefight911

Well, after much time I finally got around to getting the one thing that needed doing done!

The bike is now complete!

I give you, one color matched top case......

985400189_2oM4a-M.jpg

985392569_dc8q5-M.jpg

985390205_tZnG5-M.jpg

985388980_6f5tr-M.jpg

985394851_rw2ZM-M.jpg

Quite possibly the best paint job/paint match I've ever seen! It's a difficult color as it really changes based on angle and sun. I think they got it perfect!

To me, the bike now looks complete!

Here's a before comparo picture -

858033890_g9wdx-M.jpg

Firefight911
Looks like all thats left for you to do is to color match the rear top case,,, :grin:

Check mark in that box. Happy?! :):wave:

Well, after much time I finally got around to getting the one thing that needed doing done!

The bike is now complete!

I give you, one color matched top case......

985390205_tZnG5-M.jpg

Looks absolutely great

Archived