IGNORED

Osram headlight upgrade

Dr Klawn

Hi All!

I'm finally at the point of upgrading the stock H4 headlight on my R1100RS. In reviewing the options, some bulbs note 6v, 12v and 24v for available H4's. I wasn't aware that they made them for different voltages. Can someone set me straight here?

I assume that most, if not all sold in stores are the 12v variety!? I'm planning on using the Osram Silverstars at 55/60w with a relay upgrade to the exsiting wiring. These were tested in the past by a member of this site and seemed a good upgrade. Any issues with non-DOT compliance? Has anyone ever been hassled for have brighter lighting?

Thanks!

Doctor,

A relay upgrade is the ticket regardless of the bulb you ultimately choose. As indicated above, your bike is 12V. I added relays to my RT and replaced the stock bulb with a Phillips Vision Plus which made nightime actually enjoyable in which to drive. Don't worry about non-DOT.

Hey thanks!

I figured it was 12v, I just couldn't remember today while at work. crazy.gif I went ahead and ordered some of the Osram's (European "Silverstar" bulbs). Anything will be better than stock. We'll be leaving in a couple of weeks for a two week ride through the Cali coast and Sierra's and figured I could use a bit more light.

Archived