IGNORED

Autocom

Redbrick

Just learning about bike to bike communications and have a question or two..Appears Autocom is the quality unit..With earplugs in can you still hear incoming clear enough with helmet earphones? (Arai helmets)... Is it difficult putting on and taking off helmet as I understand that mic placement is critical?.....Do most hardwire the unit in (we have an 1150 RT and a K 75 RT)and how difficult is that?...Thanks for sharing your experience with these things...... thumbsup.gif

Phil..........Redbrick

Phil, I personally have my unit in a tankbag. This written, hardwiring them is not difficult. If you do a search, there are plenty of posts that address this. Most I've seen were for an RT, and those users have mounted either in the storage box, just under the rider's seat, or back by the left turn signal. Many tap directly to the battery, while others use a switched fuse: number 4 I think in the fuse box. Others have tapped from other locations.

As for the speakers, I can't speak for the Arai, but I had no problems fixing mine in my HJC. It had spots for speakers, so putting on and taking off the helmet was not a big deal. I now however have in ear speakers which are fantastic.

Hearing headphone speakers with earplugs in is a challenge at speed, but not impossible. Better to investigate in-ear canal speakers also.

The mike placement is important, it needs to be right in front of your lips, but not fanatical. If there is a inch or so from your lips to your chin bar you will be fine. If it moves a bit on it's boom when your helmet is put on, taken off, you just push it back into place.

Hardwired in somewhere on the bike, or in a portable arrangement in a tank bag or something, is mostly a matter of choice for best convenience in the way you use your bike(s).

The Autocom is a good unit, the company does not send you the things you need to install it, you can however, purchase a kit from them for an additional charge. You will need to get the kit then make a run to Radio Shack. I was very dissapointed when I first got mine, expecially for the money, I was expecting all I needed to install also. I think the owner of Autocom pops on and off this web from time to time, he will debate you that he would have to add cost to the already expensive device to include everything you need.

Now, having whined a while, I am enjoying my unit quite a bit and has done everthing advertised. The only issue I have is the Cell Phone hook up, if you are listening to music and get a call, it does not partially mute the music like it does when you or your passenger speak. Quite often I will get a call and the only way I know that I am getting a call is when I here a voice yelling to get my attention.

I did not have trouble getting used to the mic squelch however, my bride to be does have difficulty speaking up enough to trigger the mic.

Good Luck,

I do recommend them for now, hopefully there is a competitor out there that is paying attention, this has got to be a good sized market and a better mousetrap should come along soon.

Phil,

I've installed an Autocom in my R1150RT and integrated the stock radio into it. I also have cellphone and CB radio.

If all you want to do is use the Autocom for rider-passenger communication, the installation is simple. If you need to use it on more than one bike, the tank bag is the easiest solution.

I mounted the boom-mics in our helmets onto a block of styro-foam and they are anchored there with velcro. The back of the styro-foam block is hollow so that it can collapse in case of an accident.

Depending on the type of helmet, installation can be either easy or slightly challenging.

Thanks to all for the input about Autocom......Kathy and I want some type of communication between bikes and I now understand the basics of the system courtesy of you folks.....

Thanks again..........

Phil...........Redbrick

100% satisfied with Autocom unit - works transparently without hiccups.

Helmet speakers and mike installed easily and neatly in an Arai Signet. Worked with highly attenuating foam earplugs but much better with so-called natural sound or musicians ear plugs. When I use ear plugs (as opposed to molded in-ear speakers), I like the natural sound plugs far better than the foam ones - everything sounds relatively normal but at a much lower, safe volume. These, click , are inexpensive, long lasting and work well for me. No doubt about it, molded in-ear speakers are the way to go for maximum sound attenuation and audio fidelity. It is just a bit more of a nuisance to put in the speakers and put on the helmet. And, you wind up with another wire to deal with. That's my usual set-up, though.

Putting on and taking off the helmet is not a problem. Being in the habit of picking up my helmet by wrapping my hand around the chin bar, it tool me awhile to remember to pick it up without grabbing the mike.

If I rode one bike all the time, I think hard wiring would be ideal. In order to move my electronics from bike to bike, the tank bag solution works fine.

I agree with Ernie 100% although I do use monitor earplugs as part of my product testing and developments so I do understand both sides.

Autocom-UK-Tom

The only issue I have is the Cell Phone hook up, if you are listening to music and get a call, it does not partially mute the music like it does when you or your passenger speak. Quite often I will get a call and the only way I know that I am getting a call is when I here a voice yelling to get my attention.
This is a function / fault of the cell phone, not the Autocom. If the cell phone passes through a ring tone when on auto-answer the Autocom will mute the music. But it has to 'hear' something first (a ring tone) from the cell phone to be 'know' to do so.

I have not bought a system yet, still trying to find someone selling them for the price I would like to pay. If you use the ear canal speakers, then the only thing you would have to permanently mount would be the mic, correct?

then the only thing you would have to permanently mount would be the mic, correct?
Correct. With the Autocom systems you can mount just the mike with no speakers in a helmet if you want. I can't speak to other brands.
I do recommend them for now, hopefully there is a competitor out there that is paying attention, this has got to be a good sized market and a better mousetrap should come along soon.

I use the IntaRide comm system on my bike. I modified (OK, cut off the speaker wires and soldered on a Radio Shack inline volume control) my headset for using speaker earplugs, and my pillion uses the speakers in an Arai Signet. I've permanently mounted the unit under the seat. Sound quality is excellent from rider/passenger, music, cell phone, and GMRS bike-to-bike.

Oh, and this whole setup can be bought new for $270 (GMRS was extra, tho) thumbsup.gif

Later,

jan

My purchase was through the Classifieds forum here. I got mine for a lot less than new grin.gif

John, the IntaRide guy, is on this board (impilot). I purchased the GMRS radio from him directly and hooked it up and tested it in his garage. I like the local service, to be sure! You'll have to ask him business/exchange rate/duty questions, as he does have to deal with all that...

Later,

jan

I've searched this forum but can't find anything about Starcom1's. Anybody have an opinion about these systems? They seem to be just as capable as the Autocom as far as device capability. And they come with more. And for a better price. Is there something I need to know about them? confused.gif Me and the wife are looking for a good intercom system and I came across this one in our search, I figured someone on here would know a bit about them. Thanks for the help.

Starcom's have been discussed b/4 on this forum in this section & the wrenching section as well I believe. When I was looking around for info. I had come across plenty a site discussing them. I would try again. Like many of these communication units, some are satisfied with it, others are not.

I've searched this forum but can't find anything about Starcom1's. Anybody have an opinion about these systems?

No opinion yet, but I'm hoping to install one within the next week or two, after a glowing review by a local rider in our club newsletter. The distributor is waiting for a shipment from the manufacturer.

The price of the Starcom here is about half that of the Autocom, and just over a quarter of the cost of the equivalent Baehr. The Baehr distributor provides very good support, but I just can't justify the cost of their system. The Autocom importer just doesn't really seem interested in selling their unit.

Sorry about the search thing. I figured out what I was doing wrong. blush.gif I missed the time frame menu and was only searching for posts one week or newer. Now I've got 219 posts to read! grin.gif Although the more I read the more I'm leaning towards the Starcom1. Sounds like a real decent system. Thanks again.

Sorry about the search thing. I figured out what I was doing wrong. blush.gif I missed the time frame menu and was only searching for posts one week or newer. Now I've got 219 posts to read! grin.gif Although the more I read the more I'm leaning towards the Starcom1. Sounds like a real decent system. Thanks again.

That is the direction I am leaning, too.

There is a review in a recent BMW ON magazine issue that tipped me that way.

On the other hand, Autocom is more widely distributed and more widely supported. I also like the fact that Tom from the UK is on this board and is very helpful.

I've searched this forum but can't find anything about Starcom1's.

I used the Starcom1 for about 9 months. And got through 3 headset leads. They seemed a bit on the fragile side to me, but the manufacturer did replace each one free of charge. In fairness, the unit performed well for solo use (read music, phone and radio) but when I tried it with a pillion, it was horrendous getting the vox and volume levels right.

When the third lead started failing, I just happened to be at a bike show in the UK and checked out the Intaride option. I was really impressed with their auto-vox, and simple jack plug connector as opposed to the multi-pin socket of Starcom. Ordered a unit on the spot and managed to sell my Starcom for the price of the Intaride, so price to change was nothing! clap.gif

In comparison, both myself and the pillion agree that rider-pillion is miles better, the vox works well. I can ride with my flip front helmet up at 70mph, hers is down and the auto-vox deals with it. thumbsup.gif

The unit is a much neater install than Starcom, and so far has been much more reliable (4 months, no problems) The only slight downside is that music is a little more tinny, but I can live with that and I think you'd only notice the difference if you had experience of the two systems.

Can't speak for Autocom, as I've never tried them. (Just too darn expensive for all the bits you get as standard with Intaride/Starcom) Maybe sometime when funds allow...

Steve

I checked out Intaride after reading Steve's post....No VOX but looks interesting....About $600.00+ for a bike-to-bike set up the way I figure it...Takes about $1.80 to make one pound I think (not sure)...Price for Pro unit 125 pounds plus extras.....Wondered about where you mount the PTT button on a BMW...On the grip itself? No handlebar room right there...Maybe Steve can let us know.......Here's Intaride's web address for anybody interested.....Also, Cycle-Stuff address...Agent in U.S.........

http://www.cycle-stuff.com/xl.php

http://www.intaride.com/

Phil..........Redbrick

I checked out Intaride after reading Steve's post....No VOX but looks interesting....

Not sure what you mean by no VOX. The IntaRide RP1 has an automatically adjusted VOX. It varies the level based on background noise.

About $600.00+ for a bike-to-bike set up the way I figure it...Takes about $1.80 to make one pound I think (not sure)...Price for Pro unit 125 pounds plus extras.....

Actually, $500 ($269 for RP1, $229 for FRS/GRMS add-on kit).

Wondered about where you mount the PTT button on a BMW...On the grip itself?

Yes, on the grip. It is a velcro strap that goes around the grip. PTT sticks to the velcro.

Regards,

John

As impilot said, it has AutoVOX, so the sensitivity changes depending on the surrounding noise. I find it works exceptionaly well, YMMV.

Where do you get the price for all the extras for radio? The Intaride unit comes with everything you need bar a PTT switch and radio, Surely you could justget the PTT, and source the radio locally?

PTT on my K100 fits nicely on the left bar, between the grip and switches.

CruisinCruzan

I have an Autocom Pro M1 (old style high end system) hard wired to my R1200C. The hard wiring is no problem, I have a signet GT-R, Shoei RF 100 and Nolan flip helmets. The Shoei is not as speaker friendly as the other helmets (the Arai being best due to an indentation where the speaker fits) I use MAX foam plugs and have no problem hearing my wife or my GPS. I not only have the mics velcroed to the chin bar but I bought the short boom mic cut away all the "boom support" material so I was left with just wires to the mic it makes for a significantly less bulky installation especially compared to the standard boom mic. IMO the booms are not needed in full face helmets, they are more likely to get in the way without adding benefit. No regrets with the system and my wife (I ride 50/50 solo and with my wife) said any bike I get in the future must have a communication system. That said I am hoping that next year bluetooth based devices will become more avalable as my plan is a TomTom rider bluetooth GPS, my bluetooth phone all through bluetooth equipped helmets. I don't use bike to bike and I want to get rid of the wires. Good Luck

Just learning about bike to bike communications and have a question or two..Appears Autocom is the quality unit..With earplugs in can you still hear incoming clear enough with helmet earphones? (Arai helmets)... Is it difficult putting on and taking off helmet as I understand that mic placement is critical?.....Do most hardwire the unit in (we have an 1150 RT and a K 75 RT)and how difficult is that?...Thanks for sharing your experience with these things.

I usually jump in right away on these Autocom questions. But I thought I'd wait and let others have their say first.

1. Regardless of whose unit you purchase, ear plugs are going to affect the quality of the sound you hear. It will affect music more than speech, since the former is more dependent on the full dynamic range of sound. Speech, even if muzzled a bit by earplugs, is going to be more easily understood.

2. No, it's not difficult putting on and taking off your helmet. The microphone in an Autocom is on a very flexible stalk. That stalk can be positioned completely out of the way, leaving the mic to land right in front of your mouth every time. Unless you've got a Jamie Farr (Klinger/MASH) schnoz, you won't have problems at all.

3. Mic placement is not "critical" with Autocom. But there is a "best" position which will yield the most desirable results. Directly in front of your lips, perpendicular to the direction your voice travels, and as close to your lips as possible (gently touching them is ideal).

4. The electrical power wiring of an Autocom is simple. Negative wire straight to the battery. Positive wire to any switched lead that isn't related to the ignition system. The rest of it is just the routing of the cables depending on how many accessories you want to attach to your Autocom. It's as easy, or as time-consuming, as you make it. Put your unit in the back of the bike and all of your accessories up by the handlebars, and you'll be running loooooong wires. Put it in the glove box and the wires will be shorter, the installation cleaner. You want it for intercom only? Then it should go under the seat. Ya gots ta have a plan.

Phil, I hope this information answers all of the questions you originally asked. If not, let me know and I'll do my best to give you the information you need.

Where do you get the price for all the extras for radio? The Intaride unit comes with everything you need bar a PTT switch and radio, Surely you could justget the PTT, and source the radio locally?

The upgrade kit quoted included the PTT button and extension, radio extension cable (to allow radio placement anywhere on bike), and the Mil-Spec FRS/GMRS radio, with the choice of either a NiMH rechargeable battery and charger, or 12V adapter for the radio.

As to sourcing your own, be aware that among different radio manufacturers, there is no "one standard way" of integrating a PTT and headset jacks into the radio. So, another brand radio may (or may not) work properly with any given intercom.

Regards,

John

The upgrade kit quoted included the PTT button and extension, radio extension cable (to allow radio placement anywhere on bike), and the Mil-Spec FRS/GMRS radio, with the choice of either a NiMH rechargeable battery and charger, or 12V adapter for the radio.

Ok, that sounds like a better deal! Guess i'm too used to the StarCom extras that are $120-ish for the radio lead and PTT. Fair play, that sounds like a darn good deal!

Archived