IGNORED

Riding experience different with less engine noise

kmaire

Where do you balance being able to hear traffic, motor and other sounds around you and also trying to issolate the sound for ear protection and to enjoy music while riding?

I recently tested some in-ear noise issolating headphones to go with my mp3 player. I always where earplugs, but with these things in and a song going I don't hear nearly as much of what's going on around me. I'm sure this is more dangerous because I'm so issolated from traffic sounds (I don't know If I could hear a siren for example) but I have this observation:

Because I'm hearing less engine noise I've been riding at higher rpms. smile.gif This has made the bike a lot more fun because I'm spending more time between 4500 and 6500 where the power is. I'm shifting a little later and mainly using the vibration to feel where my shift point should be, as compared to using my ears to hear where I should shift. The bike is quite comfortable to cruise now at 5000 just waiting hit it.

This is funny to me because I still like to ride sometimes with no ear protection so I can really hear what the power plant is doing.

Comments?

I've got the AZ Al in ear speakers and while I notice a huge amount of noise attenuation, I can hear sirens and traffic, horns, etc. The sound of a well tuned bike with my earplugs in place has become my baseline and I recognize any departure from that sound.

I also attempt to not have my music too loud. I'm mindful that it's a pretty direct hit onto a very sensitive ear mechanism. I use an in line volume control to have a greater ability to fine tune the volume so as to not further damage my hearing.

Besides, the plugs favor the lower growlier engine sounds. To me the bike sounds crappy when I don't have them in! tongue.gif

I have custom earplug/speakers and I love them. I find the slight isolation they provide very calming. It's really no different from being in a contemporary car with the AC and the disc player on.

The first time I wore then was on the Washington Beltway and I was immediately more relaxed and to me that makes you safer. They are my favorite accessory.

My Serius Starmate has a direct audio out and I only need the volume at 25% most of the time. I do turn it up to 50-60 once in a while for that "special" song (needs more cowbell!).

-RickP.

John Dickens

It's amazing how much 'noise fatigue' affects riders.

I toured a Moto Guzzi for a couple of years and it was a tiring bike to ride. The exhaust noise would even get picked up by the intercom and get fed back into the headsets. The BMW exhaust note and generally quieter running engine made such a difference to my ability to cover higher mileages.

I found that cutting noise almost anywhere cuts fatigue with the real test being how I felt after an hour of lower volume. I use sound canceling headphones on airline flights and never failed to feel better and have a better attitude by using them. Ditto for motorcycle trips up and down I-95 and I-64 which I did with and without earplugs. The momentary sound difference you hear when you take on and off the protection doesn't really give the whole effect.

You can also (user tested here) obliterate any improvement by too much volume in headphones or uncomfortable ear plugs.

To me the bike sounds crappy when I don't have them in!

I have to agree! I rode with just my stupid beanie helmet the other day and I was reminded of why I ride with a full face helmet and earplugs.

Runs great, sounds bad. thumbsup.gif

John Diakonis

To those of you with earplug speakers ( Arizona Als) is there a trick to removing your helmet without tearing them out from you ears? I have a full face and have tried a scull cap but it still happens. Thanks, John

I've used the foam plugs for years and thought they were pretty good......until I purchased a set of custom molded ear plugs at the National last month. Maybe the best $ 55 I've spent in some time.

Archived