IGNORED

Tire Repair Kits

Bob Atkinson

Bob Atkinson

I need the name of the best tire repair kit out there for Tubeless Motorcycle Tires. Hopefully one you have personally used with sucess. I did a search but found nothing.

purchased a walmart compressor for under $10 and a pack of plugs and better plugger tool from walmart as well. figure if i can get a plug in and some air i can get somewhere to fix it right.

John Ranalletta

Bob, I recommend the Stop 'n Go PLUGGER, not the cord type.

plugge8.gif

It's a tad bulky, but I used it this week to plug a screw hole in my car tire and it worked great in less than 1 minute. Good only for punctures in tread < 1/4" dia.

In my experience, the stop-n-go plugger is a COOL idea, but in practice, the plugs I used didn't hold up very long. eek.gif

For comparison, my first flat (roofing nail) in Colorado was repaired with a mushroom plug...held overnight and approx. 4 hours of highway driving at moderate speeds. Then the plug disappeared. (Don't know whether the flexing of the steel belts cut it or ??) The second plug held another hour which got me to a dealer who took off the tire and installed an inner patch.

For my second flat a year later crazy.gif , I had the "old faithful" gummy cord type plugs. After removal, reaming and insertion, the plug held the entire 6 hour drive home from the Texas Hill Country. I didn't have a chance to take the bike in to replace the tire for another two weeks, but the tire wasn't losing any air even when I did... thumbsup.gif

Thus, in my limited experience, the "gummy rope" type plugs available at Wally World have proven to be WAY more durable for most repairs than the stop-n-go plugs.

My experiences with the Stop-n-Go tire plugger kit has been quite the opposite. Although I purchased it primarily for my bike, I have fixed two car tires with it. It worked as intended and both 'fixes' have held up 1K plus miles so far.

I have this kit with the plug insertion gun:

plugge10.gif

At the Lima rally it was explained to me that when using the stop and go it is very important to pull hard on the plug with pliers before trimming the plug with the razor blade. If you don't pull hard you may not get a good seal so air can come between the head of the plug and the tire. Eventually the plug will then work it's way into the tire. If you get a good seal the air pressure is pushing the head of the stop and go against the tire. I'm going to practice on an old tire this weekend.

I have read a lot about this subject and had a recent experience with the stop n go. I picked up a large nail in MT at the Beartooth rally and was forced to plug my tire with the stop n go. I checked air pressure every 100 miles and it did not change. I rode all the way from MT to Denver on it (never going above 60 mph) and it still held. I am going to remove the tire and patch it from the inside which is the only way to "be sure". I know the adv guys all say the gummy rope is the way to go, but in a pinch, the stop n go saved my hide. I am still going to buy some gummy ropes just in case.

I don't know if things have changed, but way back when I use to repair car tires(70's) patches inside were NOT the way to go. The tire flex would eventually cause them to pull away from the inside, and leak. Plugs are a much better choice, and rope plugs are strongest. I never had a plug tire come back, but patched tires did.

At the Lima rally it was explained to me that when using the stop and go it is very important to pull hard on the plug with pliers before trimming the plug with the razor blade. If you don't pull hard you may not get a good seal so air can come between the head of the plug and the tire. Eventually the plug will then work it's way into the tire. If you get a good seal the air pressure is pushing the head of the stop and go against the tire. I'm going to practice on an old tire this weekend.

Useful bit of information--THERE ARE NO PLIERS IN THE RT TOOLKIT !!!!!! dopeslap.gif

Jerry Johnston
[useful bit of information--THERE ARE NO PLIERS IN THE RT TOOLKIT !!!!!! dopeslap.gif

Something to add to your tool kit.

I've used the Stop-N-Go and it worked great - held for days required to get home and at speeds of 80mph around curves. I think I'll add the Dyna plug also for small holes, as I had to ream out the hole for the S-N-G.

I've been running 400 miles on a Stop & Go plug: straights, twisties, 80mph, etc. Sort of an experiment and a death wish all rolled into one big, fun ride! dopeslap.gif Anyway, I don't believe I've lost an ounce of air (well, maybe a few--how could you not? It happens on new tires!) in the last few weeks. I'm having the tire replaced the first week of September when my bike goes in for its 12,000 mile maintenance, but thus far it's held up astoundingly well.

And yes, you need to pull quite hard on the plug with pliers after you have pulled out the initial application tool. Stop & Go is actually located about 40 miles from my house and I talked with the owner one day and he specifically stated that you must adhere to the instructions that come with the kit to pull the plug out of the tire a full 2" with some pliers before trimming it. But don't pull it too far or pull it twice; I did that the first time I plugged the tire. What happens then is you will stretch the rubber stem of the plug too far and then when you trim it, it will either slide back into the tire because it will be too short or it will work itself out over time because of this.

I used the 2" method on both the bike and my wife's car tire just in the last few weeks and both tires are holding up just fine with little or no air loss.

I would imagine that a lot depends on the puncture. If it's not nearly perpendicular to the tire, wouldn't it be difficult for the head of the mushroom to seat against the inside of the tire? Maybe they're more flexible than that.

I have the S-N-G pocket plugger but, thankfully, haven't had to use it yet. Like others here, I will also purchase the Dyna-plugger. The DP will be my first choice if it's a small diameter puncture. It makes sense not to ream blush.gif the tire if it's not necessary, a tire's life is difficult enough as it is.

I bought the Stop N' Go when I was at the MOA rally in Lima, but thankfully I haven't had to use it. They did explain about pulling on the plug with pliers before trimming it, but interestingly the the kit does not inlude pliers, though it does everything else. I went out and bought a suitable pair pf pliers at SEARS and managed to cram them into the pouch that the kit comes in.

one of those multipurpose folding tools works best. fits in the bag easily, and mine is a pair of pliers, knife, scissor, and i think one other item. can not remember the name of these tools, but it really works well in my stop N go kit.

I have a SNG unit and used it a couple of weeks ago to plug a hole in my rear. Sadly, you must enlarge a smaller puncture to be able to insert the tip of the SNG into the tire. I didn't like that idea but went ahead and tried it. Still needed to force tip into the tire, trimmed the plug and it held for some time, then develope a slow leak. I puched it in and use the "old reliable" cord type and it has held perfectly on all road conditions.

Whatever you do make sure that you have the ability to inflate your tire to 35psi? I used 4 compressed air cartridges and had barely enough air to ride.

Here's a question - how many of these cartridges does it take to fill a front or rear tire?? Inquiring minds want to know??

Happy Ridin' thumbsup.gif

I have a SNG unit and used it a couple of weeks ago to plug a hole in my rear. Sadly, you must enlarge a smaller puncture to be able to insert the tip of the SNG into the tire.
I have found if you screw the tip of the plugging tool onto the ice-pick-like tool you can work it into the smallest of holes without using the reamer whatsoever.
Jerry_75_Guy

What Randy said; carry a multi tool in your kit; one of the basic "Leatherman" tools would work great.

Also, the CO2 canisters that come with most tire repair kits are problematic;

buy a $10 pump to run off bike power (found @ WallyWorld or Harbour Freight) and you will be very thankful you did if you get a flat (been there, done that).

You'll NEVER get any motorcycle tire up to the factory recommended pressure with the CO2's....( ok...maybe if you're riding a "Trials" bike) they'll "equalize" between the cartridge, and the tire...and that's it. The only way you'll get the pressure you want is to get one of the small aftermarket pumps (and a gauge) like what they have at BESTRESTPRODUCTS.COM or at your local Wally World....

Pat

Bob, I recommend the Stop 'n Go PLUGGER, not the cord type.

plugge8.gif

It's a tad bulky, but I used it this week to plug a screw hole in my car tire and it worked great in less than 1 minute. Good only for punctures in tread < 1/4" dia.

sTOP'n'gO PLUGGER

Best by far...!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I posted this question a couple of days ago and it never appeared, or at least I cannot find it now.

No one has mentioned the BMW tubeless emergency repair kits that were until recently supplied with most bikes. I just bought two of them on ebay for $8 and carry one in each bike. Good kit? Bad kit? I've been lucky so far and have never had to test one.

Bob Atkinson

I used the BMW Factory Kit that came with the Bike. The Rear tire would only hold air for a short time. Maybe 10 miles or so. I was stuck for 48 hours plus, waiting for a Motorcycle shop to open. No tire store would help in any way! I could have used Slime (big mess)I guess. I ran over

the only natural Indain arrow head in all of Canada !

I have purchased both the Pocket Stop & Go, and the Dyna plug. Will restock the glue and plugs for the BMW kit, and hope I never need any of them !

Jerry_75_Guy

I used the BMW kit on my first (and so far only) flat. The first "fat rubber band" I tried to insert, was cut in half by the kits installation probe. The second one held 30+ miles until I got home. I needed to replace the tires anyway, so I didn't ride again on that tire, but it held pressure for 5 days after until I put on the new tire.

The CO2 cannisters were a PITA, and didn't fill the tire very well; luckily, there was a gas station about 1/2mi away, and we filled it the rest way there and rode home.

After that experience, I bought a small pump from Harbour Freight for $10.

I opened it up and the innerds, including the metal pump piston (not plastic like the truly cheap ones), were the same as the $90 'Cycle Pump' version .

Do a search on pumps here and you'll get a lot of info.

At camping goods stores you can find better CO2 dispensers that won't waste

'air' like the cheap version in the BMW kit, if you want a good back up to the pump.

I now carry the 'sticky rope' patch material you can buy at Wally World; lots of folks here have used this with good results, and it is preferred by numerous

truckers I've talked to.

Unless I have no choice, I won't use the BMW kit again .

At camping goods stores you can find better CO2 dispensers that won't waste 'air' like the cheap version in the BMW kit, if you want a good back up to the pump.

<SNIP>

Unless I have no choice, I won't use the BMW kit again .

I have one of the little air guns from REI with a couple of spare cartridges. I've used them on bicycle tires (works fine) but haven't tried them on a motorcycle tire yet.

So far the opinions on the BMW kit don't add up to a ringing endorsement. Maybe that's why I got them so cheap ($8 for two complete kits). tongue.gif

The Co2 inflater's are (in my opinion) not adequate to fill a tire.

I stumbled across this "How To" article on a mini 12v compressor, I carry it always and have aired up many flat tires as well as low tires on riding buddies bikes.

For $9.98 (Wal-Mart shameless plug) it takes up less room than enough Co2's to properly fill a flat.

Mini-Air comp.

Regarding the electric pumps that run off the bike battery, will they kill the battery if they are used without the bike running? Wouldn't the bike overheat if left running? On average, how long does it take to fill a back or rear tire?

Regarding the electric pumps that run off the bike battery, will they kill the battery if they are used without the bike running? Wouldn't the bike overheat if left running? On average, how long does it take to fill a back or rear tire?

I have never timed the fill process, however it seems like maybe 3mins or so to fill an empty tire to 42psi.

The battery can take it... I doubt they pull any amps to speak of.

I've used it on my car with the doors open and all of the interior lights blazing, it does not even dim the lights.

Regarding the electric pumps that run off the bike battery, will they kill the battery if they are used without the bike running?

That was my concern as well. I bought the best high-volume bicycle pump and strapped to the bike's subframe (under the seat). Haven't used it, but other than maybe taking a few breaks, I should be able to inflate the tire to its proper pressure in a reasonable time. And they weigh next to nothing.

Interesting findings on patch kits. I have the BMW, but I think it's time to get a better version. Will re-read these messages and choose between the PNG or the other.

and choose between the PNG or the other.

I have all three, the BMW, the PNG, and the Dyna Plug. I've used last two from time to time. I still carry the BMW plugs, just in case.

I use the PNG if its only a short distance until I get somewhere to replace the tire. As in I found a flat at work, PNG, rode 20 miles towards home, PNG again, rode the remaining 2 miles, replaced tire before riding again.

I use the Dyna plug if I intend to ride the tire until it's worn out. As in bought new tire, rode 1000 miles, got flat from small nail, pull nail, insert Dyna Plug, rode another 9000 miles. Checked it frequently, found it leaking (1 bubble every few seconds) one day but it quit the next time it got ridden.

Some day I'll run over a railroad spike and make a hole about 1/2 in in diameter and be glad I still have the BMW plugs. I'm not holding my breath until that day.

I carry a stripped down K-Mart compressor. It only takes a couple of minutes to air up a tire and doesn't seem to drain the battery at all. My rough calculation says you can probably do 10 or more tires before being at risk of not starting the RT.

Now that the Dyna Plug is becoming available again I can restock my supply of their plugs. Once I do that I'll retire the PNG. I may keep the CO2 cartridge fill mechanism that came with it.

Stan

For $9.98 (Wal-Mart shameless plug) it takes up less room than enough Co2's to properly fill a flat.

Mini-Air comp.

I REALLY like the idea of the stripped down mini-compressor for m/c carry. I'm going to pick one up at W-M either today or tomorrow.

I was just curious whether it gets too hot to handle with bare hands after 3-5 mins. of use? Also, are there any exposed electrical connections (at the pump, itself) that will require insulation?

I was just curious whether it gets too hot to handle with bare hands after 3-5 mins. of use? Also, are there any exposed electrical connections (at the pump, itself) that will require insulation?

The pump will get hot!

I never noticed exactly how hot it gets, as I recall by the time you disconnect the valve, recap the valve , unplug the power, it's cool enough to handle.

There are exposed electrical connections on the motor and switch switch.

Here is a closeup of mine:

P3190001.jpg

A dab of Liquid electrical tape would insulate it nicely. thumbsup.gif

[quoteI REALLY like the idea of the stripped down mini-compressor for m/c carry. I'm going to pick one up at W-M either today or tomorrow.

I put my "stripped down" pump in a project box from Radio Shack, this one (I think confused.gif).... http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=270-1806

I installed a filter to keep debris out.

I also added a LED spot light & a LED red cluster obtained from here... http://superbrightleds.com/ to make the device night time friendly thumbsup.gif

Since I had nothing better to do, I went to W-M and bought this pump for less than $10. The overall size is so small, I may just leave it *as is*.

Pump-Pic01.jpg

Pump-Pic02.jpg

Please pardon my stark-raving ignorance, but how do you power one of these small electric compressors (like the one from Walmart) when you're on the road?

Do they have clips that hook to the battery terminals?

Or do they have some sort of cigarette lighter sized plug for which you get an adapter so you can use it in your bike's BMW accessory outlet?

Thanks!

Or do they have some sort of cigarette lighter sized plug for which you get an adapter so you can use it in your bike's BMW accessory outlet?

Yes.

Stan

Archived