IGNORED

break light flasher

Rancity

I am a fan of break liht flashers. I have one of the "do nothing but install the bulbs the flasher is in the bulbs base" lamps in my F650.

I have no idea where it came from (bought the 650 used). Does anyone know where I can get a flasher like this for an RT?

You have a Kisan Tail Blazer. The web site is listed under Kisan Technologies. These lights flash rapidly at first and then slow down. I had one on my R1200C, but I don't know if they make them for my new R1200RT, because of the CANBUS electrical system.

ShovelStrokeEd

Greg,

Those are not the same thing at all.

The Kisan device causes the brake lights to flash briefly at double intensity before returning to solid on mode. I believe there are also external LED modules that flash rather than the main brake light. They are also legal in all states while the ones you point out are not.

ClearwaterBMW

i know

but i think these are "CUTER" but probably illegal in some states

maybe we could all make our bmw's look like a squid's bike!

greg

Hi All -

I have what I think is the best product out there - it is the GizmoMill LED brake light flasher unit. It is an LED which replaces the standard brake light bulb, so there is not addtional wiring. The LED is MUCH brighter than a regular bulb and it is a clean and simple installation. This product also has two dip switches which allow you to set it to flash when the brake is applied for a user-defined interval before going solid, or not to flash at all. It is well worth the hundred dollars or so it retails for, and while I did buy ir from a web site I later found that my BMW dealer carries them, but I had never asked for them or seen them until after I bought mine off the web.

Here's a link:

GizmoMill LED brake light/flasher

Oh - The other product, which wires in to the brake light circuit and mounts outside the tail light assembly, are called "Hyper-lites" and are available from a lot of places, just do a web search:

Hyper-Lites

Steve_Witmer
They are also legal in all states while the ones you point out are not.

The flashing bulb inserts are not DOT approved bulbs, thus are plainly not 50 state (or perhaps any state) legal. I also tried an LED bulb (not flashing) on my old Honda and found that it was dimmer than stock and far less visible from an angle.

Don't count on any flashing brake light device to be 50-state legal. Unlike a headlight modulator, brake light flashers are not mentioned in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

In Virginia a motorcycle may have one or more auxiliary brake lights "of a type approved by the Superintendent [of the Department of State Police]." I am not aware that the State Police have actually approved any auxiliary brake lights.

I think most LEOs recognize this is a safety issue for riders and probably won't hassle you. In addition, motorcycle shops generally won't fail you on your annual safety inspection. That doesn't meant the light modification is legal.

Steve: What have you got on your bike? They were pretty obnoxious to me when I was following you :-) so they're bound to be noticeable by cars too.

Steve_Witmer
Steve: What have you got on your bike? They were pretty obnoxious to me when I was following you :-) so they're bound to be noticeable by cars too.

Karl,

I have a set of Hyperlites . . . and the flasher now runs the Radiantz LED tail/brake light array on the topcase I bought from Ken H. Ken wasn't kidding -- the difference in visibility is impressive.

If you thought they were obnoxious before . . .

At night I can now watch in my rearview mirrors as the flashing brake lights illuminate street signs and other objects behind me. Being rear-ended is not likely to be a problem, particularly at night.

I now have the wire clipped on the Hyperlites so that after 5 seconds the flashing stops.

I don't get why anyone would want a flasher that stopped after a few seconds. I have a BackOff module wired into the brake circuit of almost all my bikes and it maintains a blinckety-blink-blink pulsing pattern as long as the lever is held on. This works to maximize attention to your bikes rear end while stopped--the pulsing brake light really does seems to attract attention and traffic lights around here cycle longer than 5 seconds.

Why else would you want a flashing brake light??? OTOH I might be missing something (some would say definitely, not might be).

good luck

Dave

It might be percieved as annoying when everyone around you is already stopped and waiting at a long light. Especially if you are on a slope and need to use the brake to hold your position.

I had the gizmomill/homebody Brake! on my 650CS. I loved it. But if I could change anything I would want it to do it's hyperflash thing only after a certain amount of no braking had occured. Otherwise every time I touched the brakes I would blind the guy behind me.

Hi R A

I guess I'd rather annoy people with my flashing brake light than be ignored. The BackOff doesn't immediately go into flash mode, but waits a few seconds (maybe 10 or so ) before flashing. Also, it doesn't give a more bright light than the standard light--it's as if you're manually flashing the brake while stopped--something I always do when on an unequipped bike.

Given the relatively high frequency of rear end crashes (I personally know of more people who have been rear ended than all other types of crash combined), I'm surprised that more bikers aren't doing more to be noticed while stopped on the road.

take care

dave

I suppose a flashing stock bulb or small array of LEDs is fine. It's just that the Brake! module refered to above is friggen bright. It's a PC board jam packed with LEDs. The on/off transition is very extreme. My buddy also has a CS with the Brake! installed. We got caught in some switchbacks late one night and I couldn't stand to be behind him cuz every 10 seconds he was on the brakes.

I'm all for broadcasting my intent to decelerate or make my already stopped location know to closing in cars. But there are a few times were I don't want to distract others more than necessary.

On a side note. The Brake! usees PWM to dim the LEDs when in running light mode. While following and scanning the road from side to side it will catch your eye. Makes you do a double take.

I agree completely that a super bright flashing brake light could/would be a pain, especially at night. If you're interested in a not bright civilized flasher, check out the BackOff here

Dave

Steve_Witmer
It might be percieved as annoying when everyone around you is already stopped and waiting at a long light. Especially if you are on a slope and need to use the brake to hold your position.

Indeed, that's why, after I had the additional bright lights wired in, I cut the wire to limit the flashing. I thought it was too much. And I can always release the brake lever and re-apply it to start the flash again if I see in my mirror something approaching from the rear.

i have the back-off on the HD and my uni-go

installing hyper lights on the RT.

either way having a flashing brake light does get peoples attention

I was following a couple of RT's on a club ride. It was around 10:30 am. The sun was shining brightly over my shoulder. I could barely see the stop light on one rt but I could see the hyper lights flashing on the other. The next day I ordered hyper lights.

i have the back-off on the HD and my uni-go

installing hyper lights on the RT.

either way having a flashing brake light does get peoples attention

I'll say. I have hyper lites and y'day morning on the way to work, I was stopped at a light. It was nice and sunny, and a lady in a Z 350 pulls up next to me and says "your rear lights are flashing." I replied, "thanks, they are doing their job then."

I'd like to get one of those "r-tails" but they don't see to carry them anymore on the run n lights web page. Anyone know if there's another US distributor?

I like the idea of the brake flashing when the lever is applied, anything to help visibility. There's another brand of gizmo out there that flashes whenever you roll off the throttle and decelerate, don't know what it's called. I followed a guy over Monarch Pass in Colorado once who had one of those on his bike, it was the most annoying thing I'd ever been around. His lights would flash every time he rolled off the throttle whether it was in a straight or corner, brake lights coming on at wierd and unusual times, very very bright and visible in full sunlight, totally screwed up my concentration as I rode behind him. I finally blew past him on a little straight section because it was really messing with my ability to predict what the hell he was up to. I want to be highly visible to traffic behind me as I come to a stop, but NOT confusing and annoying like that thing was. Anybody know what that gizmo might have been?

Archived