IGNORED

Lower seat on R12ST, for comfort not height.

JohnJC

I purchased a second seat, so I'd have a pan to send in to Kontour, Russell or Meyers.... I figured why not purchase the lower seat, so I could compare the two before sending a pan in to be rebuilt. For reference, I’m 5’11”, 32” inseam, and 185lbs.

I went on a two-up 7hr ride yesterday, approx 300 miles. I used the lower seat, in the higher position and didn't use my Airhawk. When I did the same ride with the stock seat my butt was killing me, especially the top of my thighs. Yesterdays ride went a lot better. I only used my highway pegs a couple of times, and was able to walk when I got done riding. smile.gif

Lower seat: Flatter, even the pan is shaped different. Nearly 2” lower than stock. Firmer than stock, but seams to be breaking in a bit. Same two height position options as stock.

With the stock seat, I’ve been riding in the lower position, trade off to favor wrists over legs in comfort. With the lower seat in the upper position, I had bit more knee bend, but no issues, and I have rather bad knees. With the stock seat I had a roll-forward feeling, because the front compresses a lot more than the rear, not the case with the lower seat. Result was a more natural position with less wrist strain. The flatter seat gives broader support, with out the same pressure points as the stock seat

The other down side, is cost. The short seat retails for nearly $300.

I may not bother with a rebuild. It was that comfortable.

A side note about seats: I made seat covers out of Ultrasuede, and installed them over the stock vinyl. I did this as an experiment to see if I’d like the feeling of the material before having Kontour do a rebuild. It does improve seat breathing. Looks are growing on me. There are pluses and minuses to not sliding as easy on the seat. Jury is still out.

...I only used my highway pegs a couple of times, and was able to walk when I got done riding. smile.gif

What highway peg setup do you have?

I was looking at the Corbin site last night and thought it would be nice to have them make a smuggler trunk to replace the rear seat.

Archived