IGNORED

pinging off idle

Clint

Hi I just joined this site and have been reading it for sometime, it got me threw my ex r1100rt-p so it ran great after a lot of work, then I sold it.

I have now a 2004 r1150rt that I like because of some features but kind of miss the rt-p I really like the rs gearing and police kick stand and some other things, anyway this twin spark I have now I bought with 20,000 miles and I went threw the bike tune up oil changes put a k&n filter on, pulled off the gas fume canister plugged the vents in Tb, a dealer did the sinc,valves and checked for faults there was 0 also I see the recall for the fuel line was done. The air screws were at a half open and the person tuning it said ithey should be open one and half, this helped the idle alot. The problem I have now is after a ride and I leave it sit and start it and take off it will ping just off idle and sometimes stall so I have to rev it up more and feather the clutch more, something I do not like as it wears the disc more, I have tried both kinds of fuel little difference. It does not ping or knock at all riding it. It will ping in neutral at the time just free reving at the start of the throttle opening. I would like to put some other plugs in it but I don't know what would be the best to try the dealer said they have had some holes in pistons from different plugs this from A&S. I know when I put I think 3923s in the 1100 it made a big difference much more snappy and no more backfiring. Great site sorry for the long post. Clint.

ShovelStrokeEd

Clint,

Your RT is geared taller than your RT-P was and will require a slightly different clutch technique. I don't understand it needing enough clutch slip to wear the disc any signifigant amount. My solution to most all pinging has been to wear ear plugs. Ping will not damage anything. Now a spark knock, which is a much deeper and harsher sound can do severe damage to the motor's internals if allowed to continue over time. A couple of little tinks just don't mean a thing.

I have had very good luck with Bosch spark plugs 4417 or 4418, they fit and offer no interference problems which is the only thing that will knock a hole in a piston. IMHO, A&S handed you a large handfull of bovine digestive byproduct. I'm running 4417's in my S at the moment, which has a higher compression ratio than does your RT and no problems on even 89 octane fuel.

yes it is geared taller thanks, my concern is not about knocking as it runs fine under a load, it pings off idle on a take off after a hot shutdown,and even a free rev with no load after a restart from hot. I wonder if I could have some vapor locking? I do miss the lower first as in the rt-p. I just read that slipping the clutch is not good how little to take off without killing the motor with a full loaded bike and after its hot and wants to ping and stall?. For the dual spark can you run the same plugs or they different . Thanks Clint

Archived