IGNORED

Driving lights....for drivning not just to be noticed

Tschamp

I have an R1100RTP that I would like to put driving lights on. I've seen some people mention that some of the smaller lights don't have much down road lighting capability. I have the crash bars, and some brackets that come of the dash that the police lights were hooked up to. Which lights would be best for lighting up the road?

Does anyone know if the rubber holders that held the red and blue police flashers would hold a regular driving light? They appear to be about a 4 inch light.

Global_Rider
I've seen some people mention that some of the smaller lights don't have much down road lighting capability.

They must be refering to my Hella FF50s which are great and a bargain.

You have to ask yourself, "do I need to see 1 mile down the road if I won't be there for another 45 seconds".

You want to light up the road in your vicinity...the vicinity that takes reaction time and braking distance into account.

PIAA 1100's and 1000's don't light up "down the road". More of a mid beam.

Hella FF50's do light up "down the road". Like having extra high beams.

PIAA 910's sear the trees, fry small animals, melt streetsigns..........wayyyyyyy down the road.

I have the FF50's.

32953669-S.jpg

33953385.140_4093.jpg

I'm gonna sugggest the KC's or the Hella's.....but if you do the FF50's you may end up painting the glass edges with black paint or covering it with tape. The lens sticks out beyond the housing, and creates a sort of Halo effect from the drivers perpective...some folks find that a bit annoying. Course, you could check out the ones that www.bestrestproducts.com has, too!

Shoot us some pics after you get all done, eh?

Pat

I've got a set of the Motolights with 75 watt spots mounted in them since I bought them. For a headlight, I have a Piaa Super White 80/80, which acts like a 135/125 conventional bulb and this is a spectacular set up. When the time comes to change out any of the MotoLight bulbs, they are $7 at any Lowe's......a bulb for the Piaas, which I think are great lights, run $ 42 ea......ouch. I have been thinking of adding the direct wiring harness to the Piaa headlight, which is supposed to increase that lighting by an additional 10% and takes the worry out of overheating the factory wiring.....probably a project for this winter.

ClearwaterBMW
I've got a set of the Motolights with 75 watt spots mounted in them since I bought them. For a headlight, I have a Piaa Super White 80/80, which acts like a 135/125 conventional bulb and this is a spectacular set up. When the time comes to change out any of the MotoLight bulbs, they are $7 at any Lowe's......a bulb for the Piaas, which I think are great lights, run $ 42 ea......ouch. I have been thinking of adding the direct wiring harness to the Piaa headlight, which is supposed to increase that lighting by an additional 10% and takes the worry out of overheating the factory wiring.....probably a project for this winter.

1. the motolight bulb replacements are FREE for the life of your bike.. WITH shipping (FWIW)

2. with those 80/80 bulbs: any sign of melting of the bulb housing because of the extra heat?

thanks

greg

I have both motolights and FF50's. Do not confuse the two. motolights are great if you are looking to be seen or to augment your fog lights. They do not give the down-road augmentation that FF50's do.

I've got a set of the Motolights with 75 watt spots mounted in them since I bought them.

Are you referring to the black rubber light holders that held the red and blue lights on the RTP,I mentioned?

Eckhard Grohe

I have FF50s and they do light down the roads well. I second the tape on the edge idea also..

I also have some Pilot lights, like the PIAA 1000s, under the radiator but that is a mid range thing. They have scratched the front fender and I might replace it with a KRS fender.

The EMP bracket seem to cause my mirrors to be loose and I have to put some restraints on them as I am afraid the are going to fall off someday. Also watch out for the bolts for the FF50s as they are too long and scratch the top of the mirror housing. Even after shortening them.... It might be best to put them in with the nut and washer on top. Put some cardboard on top of the mirror housing when removing or replacing the mirror.

MotoLight replacement bulbs are only 35 watt, which they come with. I paid $10 more to get the 50 watt and then replaced them with the 75 watters. I just found a 75 watt bulb with a 12 degree reflector, which should push more light down the road. As for the 80/80, this is the third BMW I have put this bulb into ( the other a K100RS ) and I have never experienced any problems, though I think I may be pushing it in the RS, and come to think of it, my RT. My service manager noticed it in there the other day and commented that the KRS wiring was more substantial than the wiring on the RS/RT. But I have had it in the RS now for going on 3 years so go figure. But I do want to install that direct wiring harness as a safety factor and for the additional lighting it gives. But as it sits right now, the amount of light I can put on the road is really awesome...I had an 1100GS withthe Piaa 520's and this setup for exceeds what I had on that bike

I've got a set of the Motolights with 75 watt spots mounted in them since I bought them.

Are you referring to the black rubber light holders that held the red and blue lights on the RTP,I mentioned?

Can't say I know what lights were on the RTP's but Motolights are a brand of lights that mount to your fork legs or brake caliper. Do a google for them.

ClearwaterBMW
MotoLight replacement bulbs are only 35 watt, which they come with. I paid $10 more to get the 50 watt and then replaced them with the 75 watters. I just found a 75 watt bulb with a 12 degree reflector, which should push more light down the road. As for the 80/80, this is the third BMW I have put this bulb into ( the other a K100RS ) and I have never experienced any problems, though I think I may be pushing it in the RS, and come to think of it, my RT. My service manager noticed it in there the other day and commented that the KRS wiring was more substantial than the wiring on the RS/RT. But I have had it in the RS now for going on 3 years so go figure. But I do want to install that direct wiring harness as a safety factor and for the additional lighting it gives. But as it sits right now, the amount of light I can put on the road is really awesome...I had an 1100GS withthe Piaa 520's and this setup for exceeds what I had on that bike

thanks for that information

i bought the 50w bulbs with my motolights.... but they have yet to come in from the manufacturer. i have the 35w ones in there and they will be replaced when the others arrive

the 75W..... 18 degree/lowes?

i'll look into it

greg

I might stand corrected here but I think the lower the degree, the more of a pencil beam you will but down the road, hence, a 12 degree should project further than , say, a 15 or 18 degree bulb. But to be honest, I can live very well with the set up as is....the 80w/80 on high beam fills in and projects perfectly with the 75w I have in the Motolights. Nice thing about the Motolights is that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to experiment. That 80w/80w Piaa bulb will light up the reflectors/tail lights on most cars at 100 yd in broad daylight.

My 75 watters have been in going on 3 years with no problem. Remember that the text was originally written for in home use...I suspect that the wind blast at 50 mph might cool them down some....

I have a set of low cost (about $20) fog lights mounted on the front of the cylinder protectors on my RT and with 55W bulbs I get a swath of light about two lanes wide and as far as my super duper white low beam will go.

Or here:

www.motolight.com

They offer "free replacement" bulbs, for only $5.00 S/H. tongue.gif

You can buy these bulbs in Lowes for about $3 ea.

The 75w 10° bulbs are a little more. $3.99ea. here:

http://www.bulbs.com/products/product.asp?page=products&class=633&keyword=googleMRs

Well, as a follow up. I went out to this site today to order the 75 watt 10 degree bulbs for 3.99 ea. Minimum order for retail was $20 so I ordered .........6. Add in shipping for a total delivered price of 31.00 or about 5.20 ea, still cheap. Sold 2 to a friend with MotoLights for 11.00 so I have a back up pair laying around. Still ALOT cheaper than a single Piaa bulb and they will be at the house Thursday, just in time for th Dells rally. Good transaction....thanks again Art

These bulbs are rated for 4000 hours, and I have had mine in for over 2 years / 12k miles and they're still going strong.

Compared to the PIAA bulbs, which blew once a year.

Archived