IGNORED

errattic engine

RICHARD

I just changed my battery on my 2001 R1100R. The bike has very low miles on it. It now acts like it is running on one cylinder. It is getting fire and gas to both cylinders however. When I rode it around the block the bike would suddenly accelerate and then bog down again like only one cylinder was working. I don't know if the changing of the battery caused it or it is a red herring. Anybody have any ideas? Richard from Austin

ShovelStrokeEd

Richard,

When you disconnected the battery the ECU lost track of the TPS range. It needs to know that to know how to react to changes in throttle position.

Try this.

Remove your seat to access your fuse box and remove fuse #5.

Wait a minute or so and then replace the fuse.

Prepare your bike for starting, side stand up, in neutral, kill switch in the run position.

Turn on the ignition but do not start the bike.

Turn the throttle from full closed to full open and then back, twice.

Turn off the ignition.

Now start the bike and go for a ride and see if the condition didn't improve.

I'm surprised that removing the battery on a R11R would get the ECU confused. I've been removing the battery regularly for storage of my California bike ('99 R11R) and have never had this problem. I wonder if the throttle cable on one side is not fully seated--thus giving an unbalanced throttle situation. This problem is frequent when the battery has been replaced as the gas tank usually has to be lifted a bit. Please check to see the the throttle cables are FULLY seated where they go into the throttle bodies. good luck

Dave

Thanks everybody for your advice. The throttle cable was not seated. I put it back in and it runs like a top. Thanks again! Richard

Wow, the things you learn here. I am not involved in this discussion, but the info in case the same thing happens to Bonbon is very welcome. Another tip to store in the old grey matter for future use. The wealth of knowledge available here is astounding!

Archived