IGNORED

Parking on Center Stand

jsblakley

OK, I bought my RT in '07 and was told to park my bike on it's center stand ALL THE TIME and that I should only use the side stand for short durations.

Do I always have to park on the center stand? If so, what's the benefit?

What's the consensus?

I typically park mine on the center stand unless it's a short stop. My primary motivation is it makes it easier to get stuff in and out of the left side case. In the garage it goes on the center stand to reduce it's footprint.

Paul Mihalka

There is no good reason to park the bike on the center stand ALL THE TIME. Park it on the center stand for convenience, like taking up less space than leaning over, checking the oil in the window, turn the wheel for checking tire pressure. You want it for changing the oil and other maintenance stuff. I would not want to have a bike without it, but no obligation to use it.

The mith comes from older BMWs, like airheads and old K bikes, that some times leaked oil into the low side cylinder and smoked when started. This does not seem to be a problem anymore.

Joe Frickin' Friday
What's the consensus?

What's the owner's manual say? This will contain a (admittedly filtered) version of how the engineers who designed the bike want you to treat it; this supercedes anything the dealership/salesperson might tell you.

If it does not address this issue (and I'm betting it doesn't), then feel free to use whichever stand you want.

Apart from that, Paul has summed things up pretty nicely.

A question from a newbie (to site and to bike)....how the devil do you get a 700 lb bike onto the center stand? I'm 5'6 and 140 lbs and the only way I could do it was with the assistance of a come-along pulling the back end backwards. There must be some trick or method I'm missing....thanks, -Ben

fourteenfour

Well a RT is a breeze to put on the center stand... Left hand on the left handlebar, right hand on the grab bar above the left bag... foot on the stand and just... stand on it.

Your hands are just there for balance... leverage does the work

A question from a newbie (to site and to bike)....how the devil do you get a 700 lb bike onto the center stand?

I'm about 160 pounds and can get my RT on the center stand with one hand. The right technique and it is easy on and off.

Center stands sink in hot asphalt faster than any side stand. It has the most the bike weight on it. SO, in the heat, I seldon use the center stand. I guess I seldon use it most any time unless I am at the gas pump or checking the tires and oil level, which I often do.

Ed -

Center stands sink in hot asphalt faster than any side stand. It has the most the bike weight on it.

Yeah, but once the center stand sinks and the wheels touch, now you have a FOUR weight bearing points instead of the three of the side stand.

(I'm kidding)

(OK, no I'm not entirely, I've center standed in deep gravel and the bike was fine, with enough weight on the tires I could not turn the handlebars)

Paul Mihalka

Problem is when due to irregular pavement only ONE SIDE if the center stand sinks in...

Then there is the thing where you start the bike, then climb on, then take off from the center stand!

Impresses your non Beemer riding buddies with your superior bike riding skills! ( and real EZ to do with a little practice!) :thumbsup:

My cheap advice for the day.

Don J :wave:

I use the side stand for short stops. For the longer ones I will use the center stand. After putting a GL1800 on the center stand for six years, the R1200RT is a breeze.

When the RT is in my garage, I always have it on the center stand.

One thing you might consider is if you haven't dropped it yet screwing around with the center stand is about as good a way to do it as any.. :thumbsup:

ArthurKnowles

Well FWIW I always use the center stand in the garage. Helps me avoid costly tipovers when squeezing aorund it due to lack of space.

My advice, don't ever use the center stand unless the bike is on concrete or cold asphalt. If it is possible for one leg of the center stand to sink into the ground, well, just don't ask me how I know...

ShovelStrokeEd

Even the side stand doesn't always help.

Back in '94, I was traveling through Wisconsin about 2/3 of the way through my 4 Corners Tour on my '94 RS. Bike was not heavily laden and I parked outside a cafe for lunch, bike on the side stand.

It was August and the pavement had softened so much the bike topped over the side stand. They don't compound the pavement the same way they do down here in the inferno. That was some soft stuff. A couple of beauty marks on the bike, some use of strong language and I was back on my way.

Back in '94, I was traveling through Wisconsin about 2/3 of the way through my 4 Corners Tour on my '94 RS. Bike was not heavily laden and I parked outside a cafe for lunch, bike on the side stand.

It was August and the pavement had softened so much the bike topped over the side stand. They don't compound the pavement the same way they do down here in the inferno. That was some soft stuff. A couple of beauty marks on the bike, some use of strong language and I was back on my way.

I carry along a little hard plastic footprint that I bought for my Goldwing's side stand. I keep it in my top case and have it ready when I need it. It is shaped like a foot and works fine when parking at campgrounds or on soft soil.

This is exactly what happened to my RT, it flipped onto the right side and broke the foot plate tab that aligns the side case. As the bike sinks into the pavement, the foot lever slows the sinking on the left side of the bike and results in a hard landing from a much higher position than if the sidestand was to sink.

One thing you might consider is if you haven't dropped it yet screwing around with the center stand is about as good a way to do it as any.. :thumbsup:

Damn, did you have a camera on me last week, or did you just talk to John (SilverEagle)?

A question from a newbie (to site and to bike)....how the devil do you get a 700 lb bike onto the center stand? I'm 5'6 and 140 lbs and the only way I could do it was with the assistance of a come-along pulling the back end backwards. There must be some trick or method I'm missing....thanks, -Ben

Ben-

It's a learned technique. Have someone spot the bike for you when practicing. Use mostly rearward momentum on the handle, with the centerstand always touching the ground for lateral support. Combine an upward and rearward tug with a properly timed HARD push down and back on the centerstand tab. Most of the effort is leg. If it doesn't go easily, no amount of tugging will help from a person your size, just start again. It's easy to drop the bike when learning, so have a spotter. Also always turn the bike slightly away from you when taking it off the stand.

<--You Tube video

Thanks so much for all the helpful comments and suggestions! I tried it last night, successfully, and realized one of my problems was that I wasn't firmly enough planting both feet of the center stand before pushing down and pulling back. It makes a dramatic difference.

I almost dropped the bike (not the first time) when getting it off the stand however. When you say turn the bike away when taking it off the stand do you mean turn the front wheel away?

Thanks, -Ben

I wasn't firmly enough planting both feet of the center stand before pushing down and pulling back. It makes a dramatic difference.

I almost dropped the bike (not the first time) when getting it off the stand however. When you say turn the bike away when taking it off the stand do you mean turn the front wheel away?

Thanks, -Ben

Both feet? Pulling my leg?

Tim Wilson

That is what he means. That way when the bike drops off the center stand, it turns away from you and the bike will lean a little towards you instead of away from you. You don't have to turn it much, just enough to be sure that it does what you want it to do.

That is what he means. That way when the bike drops off the center stand, it turns away from you and the bike will lean a little towards you instead of away from you. You don't have to turn it much, just enough to be sure that it does what you want it to do.

Looking at what he wrote, I misunderstood. What he wrote was that both feet of the centerstand must meet the ground together before hoisting it back and up.

Mister Tee

The one time I've used the centerstand for parking (other than routine maintenance) was when my sidestand got bent, so badly that the bike was unstable on it. Sidestand was repaired under warranty.

Thanks so much for everyone's help and suggestions. I'm looking forward to implementing them later tonight...-Ben

YRMV . . but . . I always have my side stand down when taking my bike off the center stand as a drop precaution. So I go off the center stand and set the bike on the side stand. Then do whatever I need to do to ride, get on the bike, make final adjustments and kick the side stand up .... and as Jean-Luc Pichard would say "Engage"

Frustrated_Diver

A word of caution. As do many of the others that have posted here, i use the center stand almost all time mainly because of the fact that anything in the left pannier tends to end up on the ground. Anyway, a few weeks ago the left bolt sheared on the center stand while parking at work. Taking the bike off the partially deployed stand made it lurch to the right and over it went catapulting me over the fallen bike. Then later that day the flopping stand got caught on the pavement and sheared the other bolt. BMW in Plano reattached the stand under warranty. However, now i'm extra careful to make sure the bike does not slam back into the stand's stop. Also, i make sure both feet (stand's not mine) are planted on the ground to lesson torque on the bolts.

Great thread. Didn't seem like there was this much information about pros/cons of sidestand/centerstand use.

+1 on having the sidestand down when coming off the centerstand. It's a great safety net. Actually, unless it's not possible due to lean angle, I have the sidestand down whenever I am not sitting on the bike. That way if I get in to trouble I might be saved by just pulling the bike onto the sidestand. It's saved me once or twice while pushing the bike around the garage.

One other very important thing to remember about coming off the center stand is that you should have the bike in neutral. It's trivial to stop in first gear and put the bike on the centerstand. If you come off the centerstand while in gear the weight of the bike slams the transmission.

MrHondamatic

I've already managed to drop my RT in the garage after a center stand episode. I was a little too gentle when putting it on the stand, and it rocked forward, then went to the right. Having hossed my old Honda on and off the stand many times, I was a little surprised the BMW got away from me. Then I realized what the difference was.

While the Honda is more difficult, and has rocked back down before, I never have lost it to the floor. Why? Because my right hand is always holding the grab rail at the base of the seat, which is fairly high up and gives me good leverage for control. The BMW OTOH, has a pivoting grab handle situated much lower, which is great for getting the bike up, but not worth a hoot when getting it down. On the downward movement it does very little to assist with pulling the bike to the left side.

Now when I take the BMW down, I use an opening on the side of the luggage rack, for stability. It is night and day difference, and I have far more control of the bike.

Handle for going up, rack for setting it down. It's all about leverage.

Paul Mihalka

Taking a bike off the center stand - done it a few times working at BMW dealers for 20+ years: When standing on the side of the bike, side stand out and grab the bike with both hands on the handlebar, rock it forward, when it comes off pull it toward you. Safest way is to sit on the bike and rock it forward, with a leg on each side. Convenient when you want to ride right away.

Anyone know why some people park their bike on the centre stand but leave the side stand flipped out? I presume that this is in the hope that the bike will land on the side stand should it happen to be toppled off its centre stand. But the chances of this happening must surely be slim.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Anyone know why some people park their bike on the centre stand but leave the side stand flipped out? I presume that this is in the hope that the bike will land on the side stand should it happen to be toppled off its centre stand. But the chances of this happening must surely be slim.

Before getting off the bike, I set it on the sidestand. After I get off the bike, sometimes I put it on the centerstand. When doing this, sometimes I forget to flip the sidstand back up afterwards.

ShovelStrokeEd

I used to do the same as Mitch until I got the Sprint. Side stand will nicely gouge your left shin as you put the bike up on the center stand. Ouch was only the first thing I said :eek:

markgoodrich

The bike is much less stable on the center stand, resting only on two metal posts which are very close to each other, and the front tire (or rear, depending on slope), making a very narrow base. On the side stand both tires and the stand make a very wide/long stable base. Plus what everyone else said.

Center stands sink in hot asphalt faster than any side stand. It has the most the bike weight on it.

Yeah, but once the center stand sinks and the wheels touch, now you have a FOUR weight bearing points instead of the three of the side stand.

I actually had that happen with my Virago. The center stand was deeply sunken into asphalt and the rear wheel was on the ground. You should have seen the holes in the asphalt after wresling the bike out ! :eek:

The bike is much less stable on the center stand, resting only on two metal posts which are very close to each other, and the front tire (or rear, depending on slope), making a very narrow base. On the side stand both tires and the stand make a very wide/long stable base. Plus what everyone else said.

+1

It’s basic geometry. Three contact points farther apart - tire, side stand leg, tire, are going to be stable that three closer together - center stand leg, tire, other center stand leg. Plus ISFA sinking goes, two center stand legs are one more to sink than on one side stand leg (Tires rarely sink enough to tip a bike in and of themselves.)

Unless the 1 in 10,000 change where both center stand legs happen to sink exactly evenly letting the bike down onto two tires.

Even when you think about ground contact patch, which is greater, one side stand leg and two tires, or two center stand legs and one tire?

IMHO BMW riders’ obsession with the center stand has more to do with show than practicality. Admittedly riding off the center stand does look neat, but beyond that, why?

I took mine off long ago; got tired of dragging it two-up in the corners!

Dennis Andress

What Paul said. The airhead side stand was beyond worthless so the center stand was the only way to go.

I bought my first BMW (a k100rs) at Irv Seaver BMW in Orange, CA. The salesman there knew everything about the bikes. He weighed about 120lbs and could put the bike on the centerstand while sitting on the seat. I am 6'4" and weigh, well... more than 120lbs and when I tried to do it I tipped the bike over. I told my good friend who rides a KTM about this. He promptly sat on my bike (r1200rt) and popped it up on it's centerstand. Pissed me off. The bike is very easy to get on the centerstand the proper way. I usually park it that way for ease of loading the luggage and the old thought about all the oil flowing into the left cylinder when on the side stand.

If you really want to hear some new words, roll the bike off the centre-stand, with the side-stand extended, and get your foot under the side-stand!

You will never do this twice!

I am afraid of leaving the side stand extended when the bike is on the center stand. The one time I dropped my bike in my garage is was because the side stand was extended. I took my 1100RTP of the centerstand, the bike leaned to my side, caught the tip of the side stand, and the whole thing cantilevered around and fell away from me. I have since always made sure the side stand is retracted once the bike is up on the center stand.

He weighed about 120lbs and could put the bike on the centerstand while sitting on the seat.

I learned this technique a few years ago while learking on this site. It has to do with pushing down on the center stand and applying the front brake nearly simultaneously. I'm sure a quick search could locate the procedure.

At the gas station I can put the bike on the center stand, fill it up, and ride away without ever getting off the MC. (I can, but rarely do)

JohnnyJ

fourteenfour

I use the center stand when I park it at work, but that is a concrete parking deck. On the road, usually just the kick stand. Crushed coke cans do wonders for soft pavement. At home I don't use either side or center, it lives in a Baxley Sport Chock that I bought from Pirates Lair

I was thinking yesterday that it would be neat to have a side stand on both sides... use the one that fits the occasion...

I also park on the side stand >90% of the time. I still get "side stand envy" whenever I see a Harley. My old FLHS had by far the most secure side stand of any bike I've owned.

Case in point... We were in Savannah along the river and this guy on a Harley rode on the cobblestones, parked, and just plunked down his side stand and was off. The road was uneven, at an angle, and a mess. There is just no way I could have stood my bike there with either the side stand or center stand, even using a plate beneath the side stand. I sure wish BMW would come up with a better solution.

FWIW, I installed the Wunderlich Side Stand enlarger... I think it made the bike about 100 percent more stable- especially for my passenger when she gets aboard.

I also think the use of the center stand is a cultural groupthink thing- for BMW guys. I would bet good money that more of use use a center stand than all other brands combined, but for no good reason.

I have no "facts" but think it is an old wives tale stemming from the idea from older R bikes that one jug would fill up with oil and disaster would happen if left on the side stand...

Bob

old Airheads sometimes had issues with oil weeping past the rings or valve guides on the left cylinder. On startup, the left side would send out enough blue smoke to wipe out malaria.

My /5 has this issue still but never had this happen on my R90s or Oilhead. Do what's convenient for you.

RPG

Archived