IGNORED

2610 and topo maps

David_S

Hey David, wassup?!

Yes. I believe that you enter the unlock code when you install them on your PC........it's been a while.

I haven't done it, but Matt has.

Thanks Art. I was going to look around for a discounted disk on eBay or somewhere but wanted to make sure that it's brand new if I have to unlock it.

Hey guys, I swear I was riding this morning (and not sleeping).

Topo does not have an unlock. Also, from the factory, the maps only run off of the CD. You can, in fact, copy the data to the hard drive (after going through the traditional install), then modify the registry key to point to that location rather than pointing to the CD.

The 2610 doesn't do quite as good a job as the 276C et al in displaying Topo data ... six of one, half a dozen of the other (it looks fine regardless).

Matt's right on the unlock. I was just using the topos a couple weeks ago in Az and they work fine on the 276C. One thing you'll probably notice however: They include a lot of regular roads but their road database is quite old and won't show nearly as current of a picture than CN does. For my purposes, I was using it for the dirt roads and they have been there for many years in the area of interest so it wasn't a big deal but the "old" data set was very noticeable near any towns where there has been a lot of development over the last 10 years or so.

...the "old" data set...

It is interesting, because (especially in post-WWII suburbia) many intersections feature the names of places from the past. One in particular on my sometime commute into central NJ is named "Benders Corner" ... no mention of the name on the ground, but I'd bet some of the old-timers (in their 80s and older) would know exactly what that is.

You can, in fact, copy the data to the hard drive (after going through the traditional install), then modify the registry key to point to that location rather than pointing to the CD.

Or, you can copy the disk to the hard drive first, then do the install from the hard disk and not mess with the registry. You have to do this for each of the regions.

Stan

So it's pretty much like the old US R&R. It's a PITA to have to insert the CD to run. Thanks for the tips. I think I'll stay out of the registry for now!

Archived