IGNORED

what needed repairing when you bought 2nd hand??

Philbie

Have just picked up my 2nd hand R1150RT 2003 - and have now had some time to go over it with a fine tooth comb in the garage.

I found the following things needing some tender loving care.

(1) Fairing screws needed some tightening.

(2) Black plastic cover on left side had a broken lug.

(3) Rear mud flap needed tightening

(4) clip inside mirror housing needs replacing

Not to much to worry about i know - but i'm keen to hear what you guys found, and anything else i should look for.

I'm keen to get it back to pristine condition and don't want to over look anything.

Cheers,

Phil

Kind of depends on the maintenance record of the bike. If it hasn't been done recently (and maybe even if it has) a valve adjustment and throttle body synchronization would be a good idea. Also a transmission and final drive fluid change possibly.

Has the ABS brake system flush and bleed been done?

How many km on the bike?

Some things to take a quick look at (search this board for instructions if needed) include the front fender bolts, in particular the top two, rear swing arm play, and brake pads condition. Enjoy the RT!

Phil

When I bought my K100RT the transmission was a little on the loud side. I flushed it(had lot of metal filings, even though it was serviced according to the schedule) with dino gear oil several times over a couple of thousand miles until it cleaned up and quieted. Changed to synthetic gear oil and have been trouble-free for almost 30,000mi.

Bruce C

I'd second flushing the fluids, oil, tranny, final gear and BRAKE BLEED. Check pads and cables, tool kit, tire repair kit.

Then start saving up for all the goodies!

grin.gif

Archived