IGNORED

Changing Oil

John_Benson

John: you do not have to remove any of the panels to change the engine oil. The plug is easily accessed at the bottom of the engine along with the oil filter. You will need to get a special tool to remove the filter though. You can find it on the web or just buy it from the dealer. Remember not to over fill. It takes four quarts if you change the filter. Moisten the filter gasket with oil, fill the filter and install. I usually put 8oz of oil in a seperate container to carry for topping off on the road and put the remainder in the engine. That will bring you approximately to the center of the glass. thumbsup.gif If you put all four quarts in then it is sometimes hard to see the level since it is full to the glass top and the oil is clear. I had to drain some back out the first time I did an oil change I thought I didn't have enough and added more because I couldn't clearly see the level. Remember your good to go if you see any oil in the glass. Too much oil is a bad thing for a boxer.

grin.gif

D

ShovelStrokeEd

Danny,

You are wrong and you are right.

The proper amount is 3.75 quarts, which you get by pouring off 8 oz of oil from the first quart as you pointed out.

Here is the drill.

Warm engine

Place on center stand

Drain oil and remove filter

Fill new filter with oil

Pour 8 oz of oil into a bottle (REI and CampMor sell nice fuel bottles that you can store in your saddle bag.

Install new filter

Replace drain plug

Pour the remaining ~3.5 quarts into the motor

Go riding

At 1000 mile place warmed up bike on sidestand, if you see oil, keep riding

If no oil visible, pour in the bottle

Repeat the above at whatever your selected interval is. I use 10K and only check every 5K but, at 43K miles, I know what my bike consumes.

celebrationrev

Very helpful list of steps!

Did I read somewhere on this site a suggestion that you use a punch to poke a hole in the old filter before removal to drain out the oil sitting in it? That was always the biggest pain with my Yamaha. Lossen the filter and you get old oil running down to your elbow.

Joe Frickin' Friday
You will need to get a special tool to remove the filter though. You can find it on the web or just buy it from the dealer.

Go to an auto parts store.

Find a Mobil M1-102 filter.

Find the filter wrench that fits this filter; buy that wrench. It'll fit your RT. thumbsup.gif

Didn't notice it mentioned in any of the other replies and judging by the question I'm guessing this is probably a first time: There's a little aluminum washer on the drain plug when you take it out. This is called a "crush washer" and you should get a few of them to keep on hand when doing oil changes. As the name suggests, the washers get crushed when installed to take the shape of the opening for a good seal. They really shouldn't be reused, you should install a new one everytime you take the plug out. I forgot to check my supply a few times on oil changes and haven't had any problems reusing an old one once, I do check it very carefully to ensure it doesn't leak though.

would it not be easier to take the new BMW oilfilter with you to the auto parts store, then try to find the perfect fitting oil filter tool?

Getting ready to do my first oil change on my first BMW, an 1150RT. Is there an aftermarket oil filter that is good. I have the impression that a factory filter is way expensive. Thanks for any advice. Sid

SAAB93driver
Getting ready to do my first oil change on my first BMW, an 1150RT. Is there an aftermarket oil filter that is good. I have the impression that a factory filter is way expensive. Thanks for any advice. Sid

Go to the first message in this forum that is pinned at the top. archive for R-bike maintenance part data - you will find probably 20 possible aftermarket filters that fit.

ShovelStrokeEd

rolf,

I have some of those non reusable crush washers with 30 oil changes on them, never a leak. Don't believe everything you read.

rolf,

I have some of those non reusable crush washers with 30 oil changes on them, never a leak. Don't believe everything you read.

BLASPHEME! grin.gif I'll bet you cut the tags off your mattresses too!

rolf,

I never had a leak reusing the crush washers but I had some that were very difficult to remove from the drain plug. They were basically welded on. I will reuse them if I have to but my preference is to just put a new one on each time. I have also have been told that using a new crush washer will help to prevent the threads stripping on the oil drain (although proper torque is more important).

Archived