IGNORED

Adding Moto-Lights to existing fog light circuit

stager

I'd like to put a set of Moto-lights on my 04 R1150RT using the existing fog light switch to control them. Anyone done a similiar installation?... any issues that I should know about?

Thanks in advance.

I installed motolights but used an autoswitch that works off the turn signal canceling button. I would think it would be a simple matter of splicing the lead to the motolights relay to the existing fog light switch to have that switch work both sets of lights. I would think you would splice into the ground line of the existing switch to get it to work as you want it to.

Personally, I find the autoswitch set up to be a very nice way to control the motolights and it allows you to use them as running lights. I find that the motolights do not project the beam very far, but because of their low position (I assume you will be mounting them to the fork legs or the calipers) they make great running lights for daytime riding.

I'd like to put a set of Moto-lights on my 04 R1150RT using the existing fog light switch to control them. Anyone done a similiar installation?... any issues that I should know about?

Thanks in advance.

This is how I did my install on my 03 RT thumbsup.gif

No issues at all.

I did just the opposite on my '02 R1150RT

My lights are set up so that when I turn on my PIAA 1200's the fog lights go off. And when I turn off the PIAA's the fog lights turn back on.

I normally have the PIAA 1200's set up such that they turn on any time my high beam is on. I can optionally just leave them off, or even turn them on all the time. All this is controlled by a Euro switch. The fog lights are still controlled by their normal on/off switch in the dash.

The end result is that when riding at night I use one of two lighting patterns. Low beam (55W) plus fogs(2x55W), or high beam(100W) + low beam(55W) + PIAA 1200's(2x55W).

Along with keeping the electrical current to the headlight assembly at a reasonable level it also has an important side benefit. The PIAA's are mounted wide (where my BMW Roundels used to be) and the alternating pattern between the PIAA's and the fog lights is very noticeable when I flash my high beams a few times in a row.

Stan

I don't think I would power them directly off the fog light circuit, the wiring in the bike isn't sized for the additional load. However if you what to power them directly from the battery then relay them on/off from the fog light circuit that should work fine.

Personally I think your going to regret not having the versatility to have one on or off when or the other isn't, but that's just IMHO.

Archived