IGNORED

Invalid VIN on 05 R12RT

Beemer_Jockey

Beemer_Jockey

Just got through going through the registration process with SC DMV. When I went in to transfer tags from my LT to my new R12RT the clerk advised that the VIN(vehicle identification number) on the RT was " invalid " and she had to go through a big hassle to override the system. Before she would do this she either had to "see" the VIN in person or I would have to get a pencil tracing of the VIN that was readable.

Now, the clerk at DMV has advised that when I go to sell the bike that this will create problems again. She said it's a BMW thing and Harley Davidson is having problems with some '06's.

Just wondering if anyone else has run into this problem. confused.gif

From the Aug. 05 edition of "Cycle World" magazine:

NHSTA Recall # 05v151000

Harley-Davidson 2003-2005 FLSTC/I, 2003-2005 FLSTF/I, 2005 FLSTN/I

Number of units involved: 110,000

Problem: The VIN/certification labels on these motorcycles contain incorrect frontwheel tire-size and inflation-pressure information. The label states that tire size is MT90B21 and that inflation pressure should be 30PSI, whereas the correct tire size is MT90B16 and the correct inflation pressure is 36 psi.

Remedy: H-D will mail installation instructions and a corrected federal certification label to all registered owners. If an owner so desires, a dealer can install the label.

Nothing about BMWs, but it could be a similar type problem. Good luck.

They'll take a pencil tracing?! Excuse me, but I've got some motorcycles to register in the beautiful state of South Carolina.

And to answer your question, yes, it happens. I've had a number of VIN inspections for various reasons. On one bike, the DMV said it was one year and my insurance company would only write it as the next model year. Same numbers (with encoded year of mfg), but different procedures.

The bottom line is if you've got the VIN on the title, it won't be a problem to sell.

roadshadowww

Had problems on mine to getting Georgia to get my papers done.

They kept saying the VIN was incorrect also.

Finally got it taken care of.

Archived