IGNORED

Riding Gear Decisions

bmwrdr22

Hello all, I just joined this site today after lurking for a few weeks. Me and the wife just purchased our first BMW, a beautiful 96 R1100R (I've been drooling for years but finally found the right one) Anyways, I need some help in the jacket dept. I've been doing some research and I'd like some of your opinions. What's working for you? I'm a thin guy, ( 6'3" 140lbs) so I'd like a thinner jacket. I'm mostly commuting on the weekdays with some short weekend trips thrown in there. Something 3 seasonal would be great (spring,summer,autumn). Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Aaron

Aaron:

My wife has spent a number of miles in numerous states in all kinds of temps wearing an Airflow, now a newer Airflow II suit. It is a surprisingly veratile setup; when the temps drop, her electric vest and a thin windstopper membrane underneath work in the cooler temps, and it is great when the tepms are a bit warmer to hot. I just picked up a new Airflow II jacket and it zips to my Savanna II trousers. Welcome to the board, and to BMW motorcycles! grin.gif

One word - Mesh!

There are several ones around, but a mesh jacket with a removable wind breaker liner is a great 3-season jacket IMHO.

I was in Seattle a couple of months ago and visited the BMW dealer there (Ride West Seattle). They carried some of the Revit gear. I looked at their Mesh Jacket, very nice and high quality. If I had not just purchased a Mesh Tex II a month earlier, I may have bought it on the spot. It was priced closer to BMW gear than the FirstGear Mesh Tex though. Reviews I've seen online about the Revit gear have all been excellent.

I've got some Rev'it summer gloves. They are by far the best gloves I've ever owned. The sizing makes no sense whatsoever. They run very small, but, they are great.

As for jackets, I suggest you cut straight to the chase and get the jacket you'll end up with after spending lots of money on others. The Aerostich Darien. Doesn't get any better!

http://www.aerostich.com/home.php?cat=250

Jim

Urban Surfer

I have some Cycle Port gear. I took several months to get it and it was very expensive. It will keep me warm, dry, cool, and as safe as I can be on a bike. Oh and it fits me! If been in the hospital several times. If I had this gear way back when, it would have prevented most of those visits. Get some real good stuff. Buy a kevlar mesh suit, this stuff is for real. And if I do have a bad spill, at least there will be only one piece to pick up. thumbsup.gif

I really like the looks and styling of the REV'IT line. They also seem to be a well thought out design. But the problem being that there's not a dealer even close to me and I'm kind of hesitant to mail order in a jacket. I have looked at the Aerostitch Darien Light jacket. Is it good for summer riding as well? I've heard the venting is fantastic. How bulky is it? How effective is it in the rain? Thanks for all your replies guys, you've been a great deal of help!

Aaron

I have no experience with the Darien light, but, will say that I can wear my standard Darien year round here in southern NE. If I lived somewhere that didn't get as cold as New England I'd buy the light darien.

The other day, it was in the 90's and I was comfortable, as long as I was moving. later in the day, it rained like you wouldn't believe for an hour or so, and I was dry as a bone (once closing all the EXCELLENT vents). Pay up and buy the jacket that might outlive you!

Which three seasons? Spring-Summer-Fall, I presume. I don't think a mesh jacket works in early Spring/late fall. Something like the First Gear Kilimanjaro Air with removeable liner, or, provided you ddon't live somewhere too hot like me, the BMW Savanna II, with the vents open/closed, could work in those three seasons. Mostly, though, a good mesh jacket is the best bet for the hot part of Summer and something a little more substantial is best for Spring/Fall, IMO.

Congrats and good luck.

On the cheaper side, I've got a Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket I'm happy with. It's incredibly versatile. It starts out as a lightweight jacket that's great in temps from the 60s to the 80s. If it gets warmer, unzip the outer cover and it's a mesh jacket (and there's an attached backpack to carry the cover, if you don't have on-bike storage). If it gets colder, add the waterproof liner, which provides a fair amount of insulation. Colder than that, add other stuff underneath (polarfleece, heated, etc.). I haven't crash-tested it, but I've seen crash reports from folks who were wearing JR Phoenix mesh jackets and felt they were adequately protected (though the jacket was a one-time-use item). I got it cheap on EBay. The only downsides: there are no vents you can adjust while riding; it can take a while to do all the attaching/detaching of various parts; and the "breathable" liner doesn't breathe all that well.

I've got a set of FirstGear HT Air overpants. These flow some air with the liner out, but they're a much denser mesh than the above jacket. I got them on sale from Newenough.com. They say to order your regular size, and they'll be sized to fit over your street pants, but I found they ran a bit larger than that. And there's no zipper for attaching your jacket.

I have an Aerostich Roadcrafter suit, but I've hardly worn it since I got the above two items. They've comfortable over a much wider temperature range than the 'Stich, and I never liked the idea of having a bunch of stuff in my pockets if I came off the bike anyway. I don't doubt that the 'Stich provides better protection, though.

Deb bought a complete REVIT outfit last year....she LOVES it. Excellent quality and well fitting. Wouldn't mind one myself except I have too much gear already (alright! no such thing as too much gear...try telling that to YOUR spouse!!).

MrHondamatic

After a year with a Joe Rocket Pheonix 3.0, I like it for three seasons and part of a 4th. Mine came with the rain liner and I have found it to be effective at blocking the wind. In cold temps, 40f or so, I wear a couple of layers underneath the rain liner and keep rolling. Ususally a long sleeve flannel shirt with a pull over sweatshirt on top of it provides the needed insulation. I don't have a fairing, so I get the full effect. I can add or subtract layers as needed, then ditch the rain liner when it gets warm.

In the hot weather, 90 - 100 f, I stay cool with a t-shirt and the Joe Rocket without the liner, as long as there is a breeze or I am moving. No sunburns or getting cooked, just comfort. After a recent hot ride of 400 miles, I was looking and feeling good at the end, while some of my t-shirt clad compatriots looked like ready to serve lobsters.

Shop around and see what you like, there are many options in many price ranges that work well.

also have the alter ego and the phoenix. i wear the phoenix this time of year and the alter ego when it cools some. it works for me with some layers during our cold spells and, yes i agree that by unzipping and removing the arms/chest it cools down nicely. however, the alter ego is still too heavy even stripped down during our summer months.

Aaron,

something to keep in mind -- you are tall and thin. I suggest you get a jacket that comes in tall sizes. I am 6'2" and I like the First Gear products because they do offer Tall sizing.

If you get a medium jacket, the sleeves will be too short for you, and the back will ride up your back.

I have the First Gear mesh jacket with a liner, which is good for several seasons. The mesh pants with a liner are also good for several season.

In addition, I have the First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket, which I really like. It works up to about 75 degrees F; above that it is too hot.

I'm mostly commuting on the weekdays with some short weekend trips thrown in there. Something 3 seasonal would be great (spring,summer,autumn)

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif That's how I started, 130,000 miles ago.

What I've learned is there is no perfect jacket, or pant. Get what works for you NOW, as you move on to another bike and ride more miles per year, you're needs will change. Trust me!

Oh, welcome aboard thumbsup.gif

While there is no one piece of gear for all seasons, I have to chime in with my two cents (about all it's worth, especially in this economy!) that the Savanna 2 gear I've been riding with this year has been wonderful. While not officially mesh gear, the Dynatec fabric, while strong and abrasion-resistant, breathes almost nearly as good as a mesh fabric does and the vents in the Savanna 2 jacket do a great job of letting the air in and out to stay cool between 80-95°. Anything hotter than that and nothing keeps cool except a wet t-shirt and/or staying inside in the AC. It's not waterproof, but a light rain suit, such as a First Gear Rainman (what I use) works great as an oversuit. And when it gets cold, between 40-50°, a light wind-resistant fleece jacket and pants (almost like sweatpants) works great and if you're still a bit cold, the rainsuit on the outside to block the wind and cold works even better. Under 40° and it's time for a heated jacket liner no matter what gear you use. Some will say the use of outer rain gear and under insulation garments with a riding suit is too bulky and wastes time and space, but since no one suit will do it for that broad of a range of temperature, that's just the way it is. One suit that is waterproof and insulates you for the cold weather won't work in marginal to extreme heat. And another suit that is great in marginal to extreme heat isn't going to be waterproof and keep you warm in marginal to extreme low temperatures. Adapt! Adapt! Adapt!

With your size (6'3" and 140lbs) you are probably going to want to concentrate on those manufacturers that offer "tall" sizes. First Gear, Joe Rocket, and BMW rider's apparel all have "tall" sizes.

Value wise, it will be hard to beat the First Gear Kilamanjaro gear - and they make both the mesh jacket and the regular jacket in "tall" sizes.

Good luck,

Peter

"Value wise, it will be hard to beat the First Gear Kilamanjaro gear - and they make both the mesh jacket and the regular jacket in "tall" sizes."

Another vote for the FG Kilamanjaro Air jacket. It's what I wear year-round here in AZ.

regards

Value wise, it will be hard to beat the First Gear Kilamanjaro gear - and they make both the mesh jacket and the regular jacket in "tall" sizes.
I'll second that. I'm wearing the women's Kilimanjaro regular and mesh and they are very versatile, quality jackets.

Whups, almost forgot.....upgrade the armor without fail.

You guys are awesome! Never did I expect this much feedback in this short amount of time. Do the First Gears and Joe Rockets hold up ok? I like the price on them(especially since the wife is looking at an Autocomm Pro 7). grin.gif Thanks again guys. And keep em coming

ShovelStrokeEd

I have and use the following in my 4 season riding.

Airflow II suit. Comes in long sizes although I am a regular. Absolutely the most versatile gear I own. Requires a rain suit but I have the best of those as well in the Klima Komfort suit. As good as it gets in the steady 95 degree 90% humidity conditions we get in S. Fla. The silver color of the jacket helps quite a lot in direct sun light. The suit flows a bit too much air for effective use of a Hoon Cooler but, I use the cold weather measures to mitigate that. First line of defence for cold weather is a BMWS wind shirt. If needed, I add a Gerbings jacket liner under that. Now with everything on, including the rain suit, I can ride down into the high 20's.

Aerostitch Roadcrafter one piece. Nearly everything the Airflow II suit is. I don't need the rain suit but I do need a set of heavier than normal pants in the cold weather as this suit is very free flowing and is not at all warm. Again, the Gerbings takes care of the torso in the cold and the Hoon Cooler works better here in the heat. Only drawback is that while travelling, if you wish a more casual type gear for restaurant runs and the like, you have to carry another jacket. The thing doesn't pack small and can be somewhat inconvenient IMHO as a result.

Belstaff Discovery suit. 3/4 length jacket and pants. Wind and water proof with excellent venting on the jacket. This is my choice when I know its gonna be cold. Now I use Under Armor cold longies along with the afore mentioned Gerbings stuff. I have ridden with this suit down into the teens with no problems. I was on my LT at the time though, on the S, it might need a bit more help.

Some constants for all this.

Oxtar Matrix boots although I have also owned and liked the BMW goretex boots.

BMW touring gloves, the GS model. Most comfortable hot weather gloves I own.

Held ceramic gloves for more serious riding.

BMW Summer Rain gloves with or without silk liners and with or without the Gerbings heated liners. These serve in the rain and cold. Although for really heinous cold, I have Gerbings gloves.

Two balaclava's. Both by BMW, one is silk for moderate cold, the other is Goretex for really bad stuff.

I also use a head sock from BMW and/or a Slik helmet liner in all weather. Helps to mitigate "stinky helmet" and keeps my ear budd speakers in place.

Shoei Z-II helmet with Iridium shield, currently gold.

Check out Olympia. They have a great mesh jacket and pants with a waterproof liner. Just got one and in the high temp and humidity of Ohio it is great.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

OK, sorry to revive a pretty dead post but I just wanted to say Thanks clap.gif to all that gave their opinion. We decided to go with Fieldsheer. I got the 06 Hydro Tour which just came out (isn't even on their website yet) and my wife is going to go with either the same or the Josie. We chose Fieldsheer because of the amount of reflective material on them. The color combo is more 50/50 than most. And I really like the pants that zip into the jacket so they'll probably be next. Oh and they're comfortable as heck. Thanks again guys and gals, I really do appreciate the opinions you all gave. It helped a ton. thumbsup.gif

Check out Olympia. They have a great mesh jacket and pants with a waterproof liner. Just got one and in the high temp and humidity of Ohio it is great.

Tom

Tom is that the Airglide Systems jacket ? HERE I have the Sentry ¾ Jacket and Ranger 2 Pants! Good stuff thumbsup.gif The jacket is a little hot on the 90 degree days.

Archived