IGNORED

Oil Change Between 600 and 6000 maintenance?

Newt

New RT1200 owner. This has probably been covered, but I can't find the answer. Anyway, how many of you are going to change oil or have changed oil between the 600 and 6000 maintenance visits? I can't find it in the manual and the dealer did not have a definitive answer. What do RT owners recommend for an oil change interval?

I change mine every 6k miles, if it needs it or not. I run full synthetic BMW lubricants in both of our rides. 48k miles on my GS and a 12k miles on my wifes RS. I doubt you will find any info because the book says every 6k miles.

I follow the owners manual schedule, every 6k the bikes are in for service. No oil service in between.

Oil technology has progressed so much in the last 25 years, even every 6K is likely over-kill. The only people promoting every 3K anymore are the people selling oil changes, and they have a bit of a biased interest.

I've tested the oil in my cars. Group four synthetic oils have been good for continued use at 24k miles. The BMW twin is only 1.2 liters and probably degrades the oil less than a 2.4 L car engine. Our motorcycle engines run hotter but well within the range of synthetics and do not churn the oil in a transmission. But, it's hard to get a sample from the motorcycle so I change it at 6K miles if convenient. If I'm on a trip, I wait.

I change every 3000 with dino oil, every 6000 with synthetic. Be careful about using synthetic in a new boxer motor. A lot of folks recommend NOT switching to synthetic until the bike has 10000 or 12000 miles on it, because the syn oil is so slippery moving parts don't get a chance to wear in properly. I'm not all that knowledgable, but I've followed that advice a couple BMW boxer motors and those motors just got better* as the milage built up.

* Noticably smoother, improved gas milage, no oil consummption, etc.

Oil changes are darn near religion. Everyone has an opinion. There is little fact. What data you can find can be twisted around. And no one knows for sure how it all impacts things in the end. smile.gif

New RT1200 owner. This has probably been covered, but I can't find the answer. Anyway, how many of you are going to change oil or have changed oil between the 600 and 6000 maintenance visits? I can't find it in the manual and the dealer did not have a definitive answer. What do RT owners recommend for an oil change interval?

I shall wait until the scheduled services for the oil changes, but even if you think that the changes should be done a little sooner, would not allowing the engine to go that bit further between 600 and 6000 help the engine to “bed in” and help oil consumption.

Just realised you’re from Minneapolis. I’m going there next Month, don’t worry I’m not riding, you’ll be safe

grin.gif

I have a new R12RT, and have wondered if it might be wise to do that second oil change a bit earlier. Even if the oil is not worn out, there may be metal particles building up in the oil from the continuing break-in of the new engine. Granted, these are probably largely removed at the first oil and filter change, but I am still planning on doing my second oil/filter change at 3000 miles, then every 5000. Oil is pretty cheap stuff.

Jay

Archived