tallman

Looking at some f150 trucks.

Previously owned.

1999 Lariat 158k miles

2001 Supercab (lariat?)165k miles

2003 extended cab 93k miles

Prices from $5200 - $7500

Anyone own one of these?

Any ideas about mileage, is it worth a bit more $$ on a vehicle like this to get lower miles?

For sake of argument trucks in about the same mechanical and body condition.

One has a 3mo/3k warranty from dealer ('99), one is a dealer and no warranty (the '03) and one is a private owner who has had it since new (the '01).

Will use the truck for light weekend duty, some projects, some camping to take the dog along with us.

Not planning on towing a motorcycle, but, one never knows. :eek:

Thanks for your input.

Tim

FWIW:

I have an 02 F150 5.4l 4X4

She's about to turn 100k this week.

Never had any probs.

Easy on tires and gas for a 4x4.

Hauls anything with ease.

Great offroad and in snow.

I'd look at the 03..... :)

MB>

Yeah, I had a ‘99 Lariat, was called an XLT if I remember right. Straight 6-cyl. with a manual 5-speed. Rusted badly above the wheel wells. Put a new clutch in it at around 140K. Was a bit hard on water pumps. I seem to recall I put three in it over its life. Otherwise it was bone reliable. Sold it with 180K on it or so. $5K plus or minus seems high to me…

Only reason I sold it was Donna didn’t like driving a stick shift. When she first moved to the US manual tranny vehicles was all I had.

Tim

The one thing I would check is whether the sparkplugs have been replaced or not.The F150s with V8s have had issues stripping or breaking off due to carbon build up on the ends.Make sure they have been replaced as its expensive to replace them.

I've heard some Ford techs are actually having to unbolt the cab and raise it to get to the plugs on some models.

I have a 99 f150 with 190,000 fairly hard miles . I use it as a truck most of the time . I have replaced spark plugs a couple coil packs. Trans fluid changes and oil changes every 10k+ miles whether it needed it or not :) . It has had a slight knock or tap in the valve train for the last 100,000 miles . I will drive it till it quits probably/hopefully another 100k or so . Dave

Ex Ford tech here. The 4.6 are almost bulletproof. Some will develop piston slap at higher mileages. If you let them warm up they are fine. I had a '98 with 370k and it ran fine. There is no problems with the sparkplugs on the modular engines.I've never seen a cab off a gasser for any type of work. Diesels yes.

The V6 is not as good.

I'd have more concerns with the trans and 4x4 systems than the engines. And the front end pieces.

Good luck

Thanks all.

Ended up w/a nice '03.

It does have the 4.2L 6, but I'm not hauling stuff and drive mostly on the flatter roads. :/

The 6 seems to avoid the spark plug issue and won't get less mpg than the 8.

Looking for a used topper now for camping.

Best wishes.

Archived