IGNORED

Fuel pump

Torquing

Hi everyone!

I have what is a minor question, but I would appreciate an answer. The traditional fuel hose clamp slackened off the other day and spewed fuel over the garage floor. I've now replaced this with a stronger clamp, and testing with the ignition on gave the usual 2 or 3 seconds of pump activity and no leaks....When running the engine as a test, I can hear the fuel pump running all the time; I've never consciously listened to it before, but with my ears focused on it now, the question that's bugging me is 'does the fuel pump normally run all the time when the engine is running?'

Sorry if that sounds a dumb question for a guy that's owned his R1150RT for 3 years, but you know how it is...listen to a sound and your mind totally focuses on it!

Thanks to anyone for confirming how the fuel pump operates

Paul from the UK

'does the fuel pump normally run all the time when the engine is running?'
Yes.

But if you can hear it over a running boxer, than either you've got the world's quietest BMW or the world's noisiest fuel pump!

The one on my GS has been making a whining noise for almost 70k miles now. I'm half deaf but can hear it with earplugs and the engine running! Dan

I had one go out on a K bike last year in the mountains, 50 miles out of San Diego. It was making a louder than normal noise for several weeks before it just quit altogether.

Clive Liddell

Paul,

Just another thought - Your fuel pipe coming off (blowing off?) could be as a result of the fuel pressure regulator possibly being faulty and restricting the flow a bit. While the bike would still run OK you may have the pressure relief valve at the pump "blowing down" all the time, hence the noise?

I would take a 0 - 10 amp meter and, after removing the fuel pump fuse, check the current draw (with bike idling of course). Somewhere around 3 amp is normal with the current climbing to ~5 amp with a blockage or a very clogged filter.

Archived