IGNORED

front brake caliper bleeders question

Glacier_g_rt

Glacier_g_rt

on my year 2000 RT the right front caliper does not have a bleeder as on on the left front caliper. there is a socket set screw instead of a rubber capped bleeder. does anyone know what the purpose of this is? went to put in a speed bleeder and it wouldn't thread in. a little help please. thanks

You need to remove the entire thimble sized thing not just the set screw on top, then thread in your bleed nipple.

Glacier_g_rt

What I found out from the manual is that a bleeder for this particular application is available from BMW. What I did though, was to press very hard on the speed bleeder and screw it in for about 2 turns. When I changed the brake fluid the bleeder leaked at the thread but I was able to make the change and have a solid brake lever. Made quite a mess. Then I removed the speed bleeder and refitted the grub screw(socket set screw). What I would like to do is to change out the barrel that the bleeder threads into for one like is on the left side and permanently install the speed bleeder. Hope this helps.

It's almost to impossible to remove the OEM piece without at least cosmetically damaging it. I got it started with a wrench, but had to resort to vice grips, and even with thick piece of rubber tubing, they still gouged the aluminum piece. Once the thing was out, I replaced it with a standard bleeder screw. About $8.00 from your friendly BMW dealer, including the rubber cap. Note that the bleeder screws take an 11 mm wrench, which is lacking in the standard toolkit.

I thought I had read where some folks had taken the speedbleeder to a fine grinding wheel or something and ground down the tip somewhat, therefore making it easier to start the speedbleeder.

Hopefully, someone will respond to this, as the OP really wants the speedbleeder for convenience and not the factory bleeder.

Archived