IGNORED

EZ-Pass Mounting on an RT

Brimoon

I just got an EZ-Pass transponder for my 12RT. (I used to just borrow the one from my cage for a trip on the bike, but forgot it more often than not. Plus, you're not supposed to do that!) The new transponder is weatherproof and marked as "Class 136 Motorcycle". The instructions say to mount it on the windscreen or on the panel above the instrument cluster, however, I'm concerned about having the transponder visable when away from the bike because it could so easily be swiped and removing it every time I stop would be pain.

I've heard of just keeping it in a riding jacket pocket or mounting it inside the RT's radio box since I have no radio. Also, I suppose it could be mounted somewhere under the fairing. However, I'm not sure if it would work reliablely in any of those places. (I don't usually have a tankbag on the bike, so that's not a good option for me.)

If anybody has experience or ideas about how to best mount the EZ-Pass transponder, I would appreciate it if you could share them. (I tried a search for this topic, but didn't have much luck.) Thank very much in advance!

Brian

I have mine duk taped under my windshield - used black tape which blends in with the black plastic. You have to get up close to see it and with the windshield in the bottom position there is no way to pulol it off. I also used a big square of industrial strength velcro to mount the transponder.

I stuck a dual lock (Velcro) at the top of the dash center (between the tach and speedo) and stick the transponder to it when I depart, then stick it in my pocket when I leave the bike. I at times have forgotten to remount it for the trip home, but it works in my pocket! Plus you can still remove it from your pocket it while riding (not advisable IMHO) and stick it back on.

FWIW and I dunno if the space is the same. I have mounted my garage door opener under the top cover of the dashboard (Windshield off, top cover off with 6 or 8 screws)

Stuck in place with double sided tape and wedged in with high density foam.

Cheers,

Found that mine would not work consistently in a jacket pocket. A bit dangerous when you go sailing up to the EZ pass only lane, then have to stop and fumble around to get it out and wave it around while cars are braking behind you.

Solution was to velcro it inside the far end of the map pocket in my tankbag. Works great there, and I always have the tank bag on road trips.

YMMV, etc.

If the transponder will work OK in your cage, surrounded by glass/metal/rf interference/wireless interference, it will work nicely in a saddlebag, or the radio box. I just toss it in my Camelbak when I am going to hit the toll roads out here, no worries.

I don't know what the procedure is in New York and PA but in Maryland if the EZ Pass doesn't work while in an EZ Pass only lane you are suppose to keep moving. The MTA will take a picture of your tag and charge you anyway. I get about a 70% hit rate on my EZ Pass. I always get charged in MD. I have not been charged for one time it didn't work in DE yet. It has been about two months now. I have my EZ Pass stuck to my BMR shelf.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

The bridges here take pictures too. I added the motorcycles to the list of vehicles that I might be using the transponders with, then "forget" to bring it, since it's usually on the dash of one of the cars.

I used a small piece of white velcro on the gas tank lid. Upon arrival at destination, put it away in your topcase/backpack/etc.

I don't know what the procedure is in New York and PA but in Maryland if the EZ Pass doesn't work while in an EZ Pass only lane you are suppose to keep moving. T.

Keeping moving and dealing with it later is a good plan unless there is one of those gate / bar things. Some locations have them, some don't.

Or you could get a Harley low rider for your toll road trips, and then just go under the bar! Yeah, that's the ticket! thumbsup.gif

If the transponder will work OK in your cage, surrounded by glass/metal/rf interference/wireless interference, it will work nicely in a saddlebag, or the radio box. I just toss it in my Camelbak when I am going to hit the toll roads out here, no worries.

Strangely, this is not true. I don't know why.

Here in NJ, we do not have special Motorcycle EZ pass units. Everyone gets the same transmitter. The white internal ones just would not work for me. I tried two of them. I tried them on the windshield, in the tank bag, and in my pocket. They just would not work.

In NJ, they have these black external license-plate mount units for vehicles with windshields that inhibit transmission. I zip tied one of these under the front fender. It is completely invisible, except for the two zip ties. This has worked 100% of the time for me. It really works well.

I don't know what the procedure is in New York and PA but in Maryland if the EZ Pass doesn't work while in an EZ Pass only lane you are suppose to keep moving. The MTA will take a picture of your tag and charge you anyway. I get about a 70% hit rate on my EZ Pass. I always get charged in MD. I have not been charged for one time it didn't work in DE yet. It has been about two months now. I have my EZ Pass stuck to my BMR shelf.

That is a good strategy unless there is a gate, e.g., on the Route 202 bridge from NJ to New Hope PA.

The white internal ones just do not work reliably, even in my car. See my post above regarding the black external ones. That has worked great for me.

Steve_Witmer

My "Smart-Tag" (Virginia's version of EZ pass) is an automotive-style white transponder. I have mounted it to the top of the windscreen using clear 3M Dual-Lock tape. I raise the windscreen to it's most vertical position as I approach the toll plaza and it seems to work just fine.

My windscreen is beat-up enough that I don't mind having the tape on there.

I checked with both Smart-Tag and EZ Pass before I ordered the transponder, and was told that the transponder was directionally oriented, i.e. the closer I could get to a mounting location equivalent to an automotive windshield, the better.

ClearwaterBMW

the only time my SUNPASS (the florida version) ever works on my bike is when i have it under the plastic of my map window on my tank bag. don't know why

works great in my car on the window or the dashboard

on my GS last weekend... have no mount

had to go through three UNGATED tolls

took it out of my jacket pocket with my gloved hand and held it up in the air while cruising under

dumb as can be

but.... the only way i know i'd ever make sure it'd work

greg

as for charing folks who don't pay or who's sunpass/ezpass don't work

i don't know how they can in florida....

all the rental cars and tourists

i know they have HIGH SPEED cameras that CAN perfectly image your tag, but....

greg

skinny_tom (aka boney)
the only time my SUNPASS (the florida version) ever works on my bike is when i have it under the plastic of my map window on my tank bag. don't know why

works great in my car on the window or the dashboard

on my GS last weekend... have no mount

had to go through three UNGATED tolls

took it out of my jacket pocket with my gloved hand and held it up in the air while cruising under

dumb as can be

but.... the only way i know i'd ever make sure it'd work

greg

as for charing folks who don't pay or who's sunpass/ezpass don't work

i don't know how they can in florida....

all the rental cars and tourists

i know they have HIGH SPEED cameras that CAN perfectly image your tag, but....

greg

A person could get one of those "on the arm" type map cases and affix it there. Then you don't have to mess with pockets and such.

ClearwaterBMW

hmmm

i like that idea a lot. put it on the wrist facing up/i think i'll check my trusty aerostich catalog tonight

thanks

greg

I have a few different jackets that I might wear, so for me, I like it on the bike. Also, it did not work in the front pocket of my jacket.

As I said before, mounting it to the forks under the fender has worked very well for me. I have not had a misread yet.

I contacted the EZ-pass people in NJ about using my transponder on a motorcycle. I got a reply from a nice lady who said that the EZ-pass should work fine from inside a jacket pocket. So far, no problems. I haven't tried this yet, but on my next trip north I'm going to leave it in the glove-box (oops, radio box) and see what happens.

I contacted the EZ-pass people in NJ about using my transponder on a motorcycle. I got a reply from a nice lady who said that the EZ-pass should work fine from inside a jacket pocket. So far, no problems. I haven't tried this yet, but on my next trip north I'm going to leave it in the glove-box (oops, radio box) and see what happens.

Good luck, didn't work for me. I now use one of those suction cup holders on my windshield. Haven't lost it yet.

ClearwaterBMW

another strange phenomenon:

on my '02 LT....

nothing in the "oddment box".... the crazy bmw name for that box on the tank

gives a good signal from inside

this includes my garage door opener and the alarm disabler

i have NO idea why this is... it is as if there is a lead shield built in to that top door.

i have always been afraid to leave the sunpass in there for that reason

has anyone else noticed this "oddity of the oddment box?"

greg

I had mine in the top pocket of my tankbag. It worked fine until I went thru NYC. Had trouble at all the bridges and an attitude from the toll guy. He had to hold it a couple feet above his head to get it to work. I now put it in the map case just so it's instantly visible to toll collectors.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is mounted (using dual-loc) on the windshield.

To avoid the hassle of removing it when parked for lunch somewhere, I have it positioned such that when I lower the windshield, the EZ-pass is sandwiched between the windshield and the dashboard, it can't be removed by curious passers-by.

I've also learned the hard way that the dual-loc isn't always enough when you hit bad bumpy pavement, so I epoxied a tether to the EZ-pass so if it jars loose, it won't go far ...

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

Archived