IGNORED

Georgia SuperSpeeder law begins in July

ElevenFifty

Triple the fine if you are 85mph or more on 4lane, or 75mph or more on two lane.

Are there still people on the planet, so ignorant to think that speed kills? Why don’t they triple the fine for inattentive drivers? :S (Who kill people?)

Tim Wilson

Because it's easier to prove speeding. Without cameras inside the car, it's very hard to prove inattention.

...similar to the way it's easier to go after law-abiding gun owners than to go after armed criminals.

/soapbox

Yep,, that should work.. Sounds like a good incentive to run if a person is in that speed range..

Well the good news is they should be easy to catch up to when they crash & kill someone..

Twisty

not sure what the bean counters would do if the public at large ever stopped driving 5mph over.

Crime definitely pays.....

russell_bynum

The real question is: Are Georgians smart enough to fire the people who are doing this to them (kick their asses out in the next election) or if they're going to do like most people do: bitch and piss and moan about it...and then re-elect the same jackasses over and over again.

If it is the latter, then you deserve the government that you get.

Lets_Play_Two
The real question is: Are Georgians smart enough to fire the people who are doing this to them (kick their asses out in the next election) or if they're going to do like most people do: bitch and piss and moan about it...and then re-elect the same jackasses over and over again.

This would work if the population was made up simply of hoons!! :) If you selected 100 people at random how many do you think would say that 85 mph is too fast to be driving anywhere? My guess is that it would be a large enough percentage to get these people reelected.

russell_bynum

This would work if the population was made up simply of hoons!! :) If you selected 100 people at random how many do you think would say that 85 mph is too fast to be driving anywhere? My guess is that it would be a large enough percentage to get these people reelected.

Yep...but then what would happen if you actually followed those 100 people around to see how many of them went over 85?

Great example...we had a "high speed chase" here that ran down I-5 between Orange County and San Diego. Anyone who's driven that stretch knows that 85-90mph is the norm. Anyway...the "news" jackasses reported it as a chase that "reached speeds of up to 80 mph!!" Everyone was outraged...80mph...man, that's just crazy.

We do the same thing with DUI. Everyone pretends to be outraged about DUI, but the majority of people I know regularly go somewhere, drink, and then drive home. Maybe they're under the legal limit and maybe they're not, but they do it because "they're fine" or "they didn't have that much to drink."

In the last election...congress had a 9% approval rating, and most of the incumbents got re-elected anyway.

Lets_Play_Two

I don't disagree. I did an 800 mile round trip this past weekend most of which was on interstate highways. I was driving 80-85 and just staying in the pack. The thing that worries me is lack of awareness by most drivers. How else can you explain 1/2 car length difference between cars going 80 mph in traffic? I drive in the right hand lane to avoid this madness and can still go 80!!!

Quoted because it's worth repeating.

IF the money actually goes to the trauma care system (which is what was proposed in the legislation), I won't mind too much. I realize that's a big if. However, I would prefer it if GA raised the stupid speed limit around Atlanta from 55 to 65 or 70, but that's probably not going to happen. It's going to be "interesting" to see how this works out.

The real question is why should we expect Georgians to be smarter than Americans in general?

IF the money actually goes to the trauma care system (which is what was proposed in the legislation), I won't mind too much.

I wouldn't be in support of money for the best cause in the world if it was collected in an underhanded manner.

russell_bynum
IF the money actually goes to the trauma care system (which is what was proposed in the legislation), I won't mind too much.

I wouldn't be in support of money for the best cause in the world if it was collected in an underhanded manner.

fourteenfour

The real question is why should we expect Georgians to be smarter than Americans in general?

Yeah we are, we proved it in November.

On the subject at hand...

Sorry, I like the law. Just like I like the one stripping the under 18 for speeding in school zones.

First, your not going to get nailed here if your in a pack on the interstate. Still I have to ask, just what in the hell are you doing 75 on a two laner in the first place ? The majority of those are not controlled access and your just asking for something or someone to pop out and wreck you.

As for the 85... there is no excuse. They are after the bozos doing this in non controlled access and the soloers speeding down limited access all alone.

I can't feel for you, I put up with too many of these lunatics while out riding and I don't need your need for speed to jeopardize my nice ride.

I seriously doubt it will hit many on the interstate unless you just stand out like a sore thumb; meaning your driving erratically or or just balls to the wall.

Come up with any excuse you like, but these are 20+ and 30+ over the limit numbers for many places and the sign states clearly the limit.

Next time you're finished with a ride, send us a snapshot of the maximum speed from your GPS. :grin:

russell_bynum

Come up with any excuse you like, but these are 20+ and 30+ over the limit numbers for many places and the sign states clearly the limit.

I know of quite a few 2-lane roads where 75 would be a completely reasonable speed.

We already have stiff fines for reckless driving. If it is not reckless to go 20-over the (often arbitrarily defined) speed limit, then people shouldn't be ticketed for it. If it is reckless, then we've already got a law to cover that.

I know of quite a few 2-lane roads where 75 would be a completely reasonable speed.

On the two-lane road I commute on it's only 5 mph over the limit.

russell_bynum

Daredevil.

Paul Mihalka

Part of the problem is that country two-lane roads can vary a lot from one part to another, but the speed limit is the same from end to end. Around here in Maryland on these roads the common limit is 30mph. In some parts with houses driveways and curves a limit of 30 or 40 would be reasonable. But then the same road has a long straight stretch with not even a farm entrance, comfort speed would be around 60, but the limit is still 30 and that is where they wait for you.

Dave_zoom_zoom
oh come now...

SURELY its about SAFETY and not dollars??? :)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup::rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:S

Dave

I look at it another way. Traffic fines were tripled because too many people fail to pay their fines. Those that do pay their fines are now subsidizing the violators who don't pay. Similar to our health care system, those that pay or have insurance pay high prices in the hospital to subsidize those who cannot pay for health care.

Traffic fines are all well and good but what percentage of violators actually pay?

Lone_RT_rider
Next time you're finished with a ride, send us a snapshot of the maximum speed from your GPS. :grin:

hmmmmmm.......

116833860_SobBU-O.jpg

Lone_RT_rider, that’s probably only about 112-114 mph GPS.. I haven’t ever owned a BMW that was accurate above 100 mph..

Twisty

russell_bynum
Part of the problem is that country two-lane roads can vary a lot from one part to another, but the speed limit is the same from end to end. Around here in Maryland on these roads the common limit is 30mph. In some parts with houses driveways and curves a limit of 30 or 40 would be reasonable. But then the same road has a long straight stretch with not even a farm entrance, comfort speed would be around 60, but the limit is still 30 and that is where they wait for you.

Exactly.

On my commute on Ortega Highway, the CHP sits at one of the only two legal passing zones on the whole road. Since most people speed up there (either to be jerks to the people trying to pass or just out of sheer oblivion) you have to speed to get around. 70-75 is pretty typical and not unreasonable at all on that part of the road (long and straight with good visibility and no intersecting roads or driveways). But that's where the CHP sits to write tickets...not to the jerks who go slow and hold up traffic and then speed up when people try to pass, but to the folks who are making a pass in a passing zone at a reasonable speed.

But it's about safety, not revenue.

Yes, if the intention were to skim off and catch the 5% of the most dangerous offenders then speed monitoring would be set up in areas where most drivers don't speed because of road conditions, and then those that do are probably the real leadfoots (or leadwrists.) When speed enforcement is set up in areas where many drivers normally do exceed the limit by some amount (infrequent passing zones, bottoms of long hills, etc.) then it looks more like they are simply trying to catch the highest number of offenders, vs. the most dangerous.

Limecreek

Beat me to it.... Many of the 2 lane roads in this part of Tejas are posted at 70 mph and we never, ever exceed it.

In VA you are reckless at 20mph over the speed limit or over 80mph regardless of the psl. That means you can get a reclkess for less than 20 over in a 65 zone.

the old soviet politburo had higher turnover than our congress

Limecreek
I look at it another way. Traffic fines were tripled because too many people fail to pay their fines. Those that do pay their fines are now subsidizing the violators who don't pay.

Please tell me you are kidding. This doesn't make any sense at all, which means it is probably true.

Beat me to it.... Many of the 2 lane roads in this part of Tejas are posted at 70 mph and we never, ever exceed it.

Certainly not, in spite of Russell's baseless accusations.

lawnchairboy

"Honest officer, my speedo was broken, I was depending upon my GPS to guide my speed..."

I think my Garmin might have miscalculated my speed in southern Utah.... or I have the fastest stock RT around....

304183355_Qanfg-M.jpg

"Honest officer, my speedo was broken, I was depending upon my GPS to guide my speed..."

I think my Garmin might have miscalculated my speed in southern Utah.... or I have the fastest stock RT around....

304183355_Qanfg-M.jpg

Mine's faster...

530054276_URnPU-M-0.jpg

Sorry Russell, but I can't let that pass.

You do live in Kaliforneyeay, correct?

:rofl:

:wave:

Similar laws passed in Florida last year.

So far haven't heard of Draconian results...

Best wishes.

First, your not going to get nailed here if your in a pack on the interstate. Still I have to ask, just what in the hell are you doing 75 on a two laner in the first place ? The majority of those are not controlled access and your just asking for something or someone to pop out and wreck you.

So, if you're tailgating and evreyone's running 80 you won't get tagged, but if it's 5 lanes of wide open clean dry pavement, you get to pay? Sorry, this is just wrong :dopeslap:

I ride many 2 laners near where you live and I'm in perfect control with plenty of margin even when sometimes doing double the posted limit.

Remember, the set speed limit does not take into account one's ability, vehicle, or conditions. When I ride, I do that for myself in the moment. :lurk:

Because it's easier to prove speeding. Without cameras inside the car, it's very hard to prove inattention.

...similar to the way it's easier to go after law-abiding gun owners than to go after armed criminals.

/soapbox

Well Tim, around these parts the LEOs sit by the freeway, (101) with these fancy, very expensive LIDAR thangs, clocking "speeders" and radioing to other LEOs ahead.

Now instead of the expensive LIDAR gadgets, what if they had Nikon cameras, took pictures of the inattentive drivers shaving, reading the paper, putting on make up, and doing all the other stuff people do when they should be driving? They could bring the pictures to court and show the judge. And they could still generate their revenue, but they might actually make the roads a little safer. Because a inattentive driver is far more dangerous to the community that some one drive above the absurd, irrational speed limit.

If speed really kills, then I think most of us would be dead many times over?

So the elected government passes a law, tells the people about the law before it is goes into effect and does not force you to break said law. That is underhanded?

These type of threads are always funny to read.

russell_bynum

Sorry Russell, but I can't let that pass.

You do live in Kaliforneyeay, correct?

:rofl:

:wave:

Yep. California: The world capital of morons who keep re-electing jackasses who screw over the voters time after time after time.

Uhh.. Russell, remember where YOU (we!) live, before we start talking about jackasses electing jackasses. We are in a sorry state of sh**t in California. And I'm pretty sure it'll be that way until I die. :grin:

- Scott

Nice n Easy Rider
Well Tim, around these parts the LEOs sit by the freeway, (101) with these fancy, very expensive LIDAR thangs, clocking "speeders" and radioing to other LEOs ahead.

Now instead of the expensive LIDAR gadgets, what if they had Nikon cameras, took pictures of the inattentive drivers shaving, reading the paper, putting on make up, and doing all the other stuff people do when they should be driving? They could bring the pictures to court and show the judge. And they could still generate their revenue, but they might actually make the roads a little safer. Because a inattentive driver is far more dangerous to the community that some one drive above the absurd, irrational speed limit.

If speed really kills, then I think most of us would be dead many times over?

Andy (and everyone else),

I don't think many of the posters on this board would disagree with the idea that most of the people who post here can drive safely above (including well above) the posted speed limits in many (most) places. But those numbers would be a fraction of the total drivers on the roads. Except for Andy's suggestion above I haven't really seen many solutions to the problem and his isn't terribly practical. If you don't set speed limits how do you protect the good drivers from the poor or irresponsible ones? I know, we're basing our standards on the lowest common denominator and that sucks but what's better? My recollection is that even Germany has been doing away with its unlimited speed limits because of some of the horrific crashes it was having.

Perhaps better driver's ed would help where student drivers actually got some instruction on how to drive, not just how to steer and parallel park. I don't like what I consider to be unreasonable speed limits either, but does anyone have a better, and actually implementable, solution?

Perhaps better driver's ed would help where student drivers actually got some instruction on how to drive, not just how to steer and parallel park. I don't like what I consider to be unreasonable speed limits either, but does anyone have a better, and actually implementable, solution?

Maybe a license that shows levels of advanced driver/rider training should allow some level of lenience post-stop. The training would be voluntary and at the driver/rider's expense, but if you pass you are above the lowest common denominator and should not be treated as such.

So the elected government passes a law, tells the people about the law before it is goes into effect and does not force you to break said law. That is underhanded?

I don't know what I was thinking, surely any law passed under those circumstances must be on the up-and-up.

Nice n Easy Rider

Maybe a license that shows levels of advanced driver/rider training should allow some level of lenience post-stop. The training would be voluntary and at the driver/rider's expense, but if you pass you are above the lowest common denominator and should not be treated as such.

Not a bad idea Ken. You want the LEO to cut you some slack, so you spend the time, money, effort to get an extra endorsement(s) on your license. It wouldn't be a 'get out of jail free' card since the LEO would still have to make the judgment call as to whether your speed was excessive for the situation (traffic, weather, road conditions, etc.). But it still would allow them to make that call with a little more confidence as to the driver's level of skill for the particular situation.

Now all we need are a few rider/politicians to take the lead. :/

Not a bad idea Ken. You want the LEO to cut you some slack, so you spend the time, money, effort to get an extra endorsement(s) on your license. It wouldn't be a 'get out of jail free' card since the LEO would still have to make the judgment call as to whether your speed was excessive for the situation (traffic, weather, road conditions, etc.). But it still would allow them to make that call with a little more confidence as to the driver's level of skill for the particular situation.

Now all we need are a few rider/politicians to take the lead. :/

I also like the concept but it would never work. Someone would feel that they are being discriminated against because they could not pass the tests; the standards to get the extra endorsments would be watered down and we would be right back where we are now only faster.

Matts_12GS
I also like the concept but it would never work. Someone would feel that they are being discriminated against because they could not pass the tests; the standards to get the extra endorsments would be watered down and we would be right back where we are now only faster.

Yep, and then it would become another boondoggle, subsidies for lower income folks who can't afford the classes, etc...

Not to mention the fact that we'd need to make sure that it wasn't some 3 ton POS out there on pencil eraser bald tires etc... running faster than the limit. Hell, tighten up vehicle inspection laws alone and you could increase public safety.

+2

I look at it another way. Traffic fines were tripled because too many people fail to pay their fines. Those that do pay their fines are now subsidizing the violators who don't pay.

Please tell me you are kidding. This doesn't make any sense at all, which means it is probably true.

Not kidding but I don't have the statistics to back up my opinion either. Just an insider viewpoint of what I see everyday in the justice of traffic offenses. Someday, someone somewhere will dig up the percentage of traffic offenses that go ignored and unpaid versus the folks who do pay their fines. Many monetary fines for "indigent" people can also be worked off doing volunteer work. I think the statistics will surprise you. Why don't people pay fines? Like paying bills and paying your taxes there is a segment in society who will never pay. There really are no consequences for not paying either..except for a suspended drivers license and that seldom stops people from driving. Doesn't it make sense to increase fines to subsidize those who don't pay?

Archived