IGNORED

Should I ride the F650GS or the R1200RT to Torrey?

Bullett

Yeah. I know you probably don't really care that I'm going to Torrey or which bike I ride, but I haven't decided which to ride. :S

The RT is wonderful on the highway, and handles the twisties (:grin:) in a respectable manner. I can't turn off ABS, but it has cruise control, and a tank bag for the camera :Cool: .

The GS is respectable on the highway (no cruise and no throttle lock, yet) and handles the twisties with aplomb. It's light and fun and I have all the electronic gadgets wired--zumo, bike-to-bike, tunes.

No tank bag, so I still don't know what to do with my camera, but I guess I can hang it around my neck or something.

I can turn off ABS on the GS, if I need to.

RT has better fairing and I can almost flat foot it now that its lowered. Better brakes than the GS.

RT has better cruising range of almost 300 miles. The GS I know I can do 200 on a tank.

RT will "likely" require no drive train maintenance, but the GS is supposed to get its chain lubed every 600 miles. If I ride a lot, will I have to lube the chain???

I have the small Jesse Safari bags and pizza box on the GS, and I think I have more carrying capacity than the RT with my stock bags and 28 liter topcase.

I did just ride the RT to Texas in March, so maybe the GS is due for a little trip.

Jan says he "doesn't have to" do Moki Dugway. If we plan to do that, it will be the GS for sure.

What do you think??? I'm leaning towards taking the GS.

Sharon,

Moki Dugway is very doable on an RT. The switchbacks are mostly paved and the straight sections are hard-packed dirt. You wouldn't have any problem on the RT. It is only ~2 miles. Now if you want to do Hell's Backbone, then you want the GS. I'm going to do HB on my GSA, you'd be welcome to come along, I don't care what Jan says :)

John

Sharon,

Moki Dugway is very doable on an RT. The switchbacks are mostly paved and the straight sections are hard-packed dirt. You wouldn't have any problem on the RT. It is only ~2 miles. Now if you want to do Hell's Backbone, then you want the GS. I'm going to do HB on my GSA, you'd be welcome to come along, I don't care what Jan says :)

John

I probably don't really want to know what Jan says.

:wave:

What she hasn't told you is that we are leaving this Saturday to ride S. UT and S. CO and arriving in Torrey by Wednesday. I'll be on my RT.

John,

We'll have out dirt bikes in Torrey once we arrive. We can talk about Hell's Backbone then.

Jan

roadscholar

Sharon, you already know what I'd do, but bike compatability is always a consideration. Which opens up an entirely different line of questioning, if you know what I mean :grin: *

Irregardless, get Killer to show you how to get up on that ridge off of 72 that overlooks Cathedral Valley, everything else will be secondary.

* subliminal message to Jan, 800GS, 800GS, 800GS :grin:

Sharon, you already know what I'd do, but bike compatability is always a consideration. Which opens up an entirely different line of questioning, if you know what I mean :grin: *

Irregardless, get Killer to show you how to get up on that ridge off of 72 that overlooks Cathedral Valley, everything else will be secondary.

* subliminal message to Jan, 800GS, 800GS, 800GS

:grin:

subliminal message to Marty: sell 800GS, sell 800GS, sell 800GS . . .

roadscholar

Sharon, this has a chance. Maybe they'll have similar dreams.

subliminal message to Marty: "it's no 1200 when it comes to the long haul", :grin:

Marty Hill

Sharon, if you want it I'll make you a heck of a deal.

RS, I'll be on the 12...I know the difference. Waiting for the 2010 GS. :dopeslap:

The answer is so obvious that you should feel foolish for asking, but since you did ask...

1. You ride one of your bikes.

2. Make Jan ride your other one.

3. Switch back and forth whenever it suits you.

4. Periodically remind the whiner who's the boss.

:lurk:

She's got the RT lowered and with a lighter spring than stock. I can ride it, but not real well/far.

She's got the RT lowered and with a lighter spring than stock. I can ride it, but not real well/far.

Please refer to #4 above.

Please refer to #4 above.

Right, got it. (Know why your single now, too).

Archived