IGNORED

1150RT - Clutch Disengage While Rolling - "Clunk"

Myles DuGogh

Myles DuGogh

G'day,

Just bought a very lightly used 04 1150RT a few weeks back (12,000 kms - 7200 miles). Love it . . .

But . . . when rolling (say, coming to a stop) and I disengage the clutch - there's a very audible 'clunk' coming from either the gear box or drive shaft (?). I've Googled until my arm's ready to fall off and can't find much of anything about clutch clunking when disengaging.

Maybe it's not an issue - but it's a new noise/sensation to this former Japanese/Harley rider.

Thanks in advance for any and all insight and assistance, folks. :-)

As far as I understand, it's common. My 04 1150 rt does the same thing. I was a little concerned at first also.

You get used to it

Myles DuGogh

Thanks for the lightning fast response. :-)

So, just to be sure we're talking about the same thing (only because I found lots of Google results for 'clunking with the shift into first') - yours clunks with the just clutch pull (while moving)?

I asked a buddy with a 2006 1200GS - and he says his doesn't clunk at all . . . so that got me concerned.

Cheers

If I pull my clutch lever in and out while in gear I here a noticeable clunk. ( moving slowly) I also here and feel the notchy gear mesh when shifting. I have had my bike since 2004 with no clutch issues at all. I've been told that that is the way the older BMW gearboxes are. They have made changes for the newer bikes

Hmmmm....I have an 2005 1150RT and it doesn't clunk at all...I was talking to a friend today that has a 2004 RTP he bought used a couple of months ago. He was clunking. Took it apart and found the u-joints were powder...

I am curious if others clunk as described. Doesn't sound right.

Myles DuGogh

It's been 20 years since I've even had a car with bad u-joints . . . but it does sound/feel the same . . . so you might be onto something. . . .

And yes, I'm keen to hear if other RTers have had 'the clunks.'

He is on this list...DonW...care to respond? Told me when he took it apart the ujoints had been so hot they were blue....

Hmmm, my 04 clunks when I let the clutch lever out, starting from a stop. If I'm rolling a bit it doesn't do it. So.... I'm very interested in this issue....

Common and a non-issue. There is space between the clutch diaphragm and its push rod, and the flexing of the diaphragm causes a noise. Plus the gear dogs in the tranny can produce a noticeable clunk noise. All harmless.

Myles DuGogh

Ken - are saying Steve's clunking is a non-issue - or mine - or both?

Steve's clunk happens at a standstill - while all's clunk-free on mine at a standstill - but mine clunks galore with rolling/moving disengagements.

Cheers

If it's the typical clutch "clunk" when moving in and out of the friction zone, regardless of the situation, it's rather normal and harmless.

It scared me too when I first got my bike. When I roll at say 5 - 10 mph and quickly engage/disengage the clutch it always went clunk. But after having just taken everything down to the clutch apart and inspected everything, I can definately say it is not the "U" joints. And after Anton just going over my tranny, I am certain there is now nothing wrong in there and the exact same sound is still there.

Enjoy the ride and all of it's little quirks.

Jim

Myles DuGogh

All useful, helpful and great for peace of mind. I'm a little skeptical that an 05 (04 body style) with less than 7000 miles would have blown u-joints, yes.

I guess I just traded leaky (Harley) for clunky. But I like my clunky nonetheless. :-)

Thanks guys, I appreciate knowing that I don't have to worry about it. I did check for bad u-joints by turning the rear wheel hard in each direction (when off the ground), and there was no sound, so I thought it was inside something. It was concerning, but.... now I'm free!!!!!

Archived