IGNORED

New Drivers License

Smoky

A couple of weeks ago I got a letter from the MV office that my DR was going to expire at the end of this month, on my birthday.

The letter outlined the fees, and ID needed to renew my DL.

So last Monday morning I walked into the MV office, dreading the lineups and trolls at the counter.

Hmmm, no line up, pretty gal motions me to the counter and asks what I need. I explain, and she gets the old license and a back-up ID, and I pays the $75, and we step over to the digital camera, and she takes a pic.

She gives me a temp license, and says new one will be along in a short while. I'm in and out in five minutes.

One week later to the day, here's my new licence with all the fancy ID theft protection and security features. Very hi-tech and fancy, color picture is now B&W, but otherwise full of holograms and other trick stuff.

This kind of service makes it hard to whine about government agencies!

That's $75 for 5 years. There's an extra $35 if you want the high-security one we will need next month to enter the USA, if you don't have a passport.

My passport lives in my tankbag, so I didn't opt for the fancy one with the imbedded chip. They can scan it as you drive up to the border.

Francois_Dumas

We pay 85 EUROS for a credit-card size license these days..... and it will cost a new rider a MINIMUM of 1000 EUROS to get his license to start with... usually more .... stay in Kali !

and I thought I was getting laid away when I paid $28 to renew my Kalifornia license.

You are. It's $10 here. :grin:

..... and it will cost a new rider a MINIMUM of 1000 EUROS to get his license to start with... usually more ....

So that's what we have to look forward to...

Preach on Francois... :thumbsup:

Paul Mihalka
..... and it will cost a new rider a MINIMUM of 1000 EUROS to get his license to start with... usually more ....

For the 1.000 Euros they get a very complete extensive detailed practiced rider education. It might be better than for $10 finding a drivers/riders license in a Corn Flakes box.

For the 1.000 Euros they get a very complete extensive detailed practiced rider education. It might be better than for $10 finding a drivers/riders license in a Corn Flakes box.

I agree...I just really like the idea of having a choice...

Alberta went back to b&w photos on their new version of the high tech license. I wonder why?

4wheeldog
and I thought I was getting laid away when I paid $28 to renew my Kalifornia license.

You are. It's $10 here. :grin:

From my observation of Tejas drivers here, I thought they gave out driver's licenses in cracker jacks.

Nice n Easy Rider

So Billy,

Do you consider driving a right or a privilege? If you agree with some (notice I'm not saying all) that it is a privilege, wouldn't you prefer that people earn that privilege through extensive (as compared to now) training and testing?

Do you consider driving a right or a privilege? If you agree with some (notice I'm not saying all) that it is a privilege, wouldn't you prefer that people earn that privilege through extensive (as compared to now) training and testing?

I don't know about Billy but I trained myself, and the effort was apparently good enough so that I've never been in a traffic accident in 35 years of riding. Have I 'earned' the privilege yet?

Nice n Easy Rider

I don't know about Billy but I trained myself, and the effort was apparently good enough so that I've never been in a traffic accident in 35 years of riding. Have I 'earned' the privilege yet?

It all depends. How many 'close calls' have you had? :grin:

It all depends. How many 'close calls' have you had?

Me? None. But all those people running off the road all around me sure must have a problem... :grin:

Ken - I suspect the b&w photo is a federal passport spec. on this dual purpose license. No mention of the new license was made when I "posed" for mine a week ago so I'm not sure if I'll get the dual purpose one or not. I didn't realize it was an added expense option.

Paul D.

Nice n Easy Rider
Ken - I suspect the b&w photo is a federal passport spec. on this dual purpose license. No mention of the new license was made when I "posed" for mine a week ago so I'm not sure if I'll get the dual purpose one or not. I didn't realize it was an added expense option.

Paul D.

They probably only offer that option to the people they intend to let back in. :D

"That's $75 for 5 years. There's an extra $35 if you want the high-security one we will need next month to enter the USA, if you don't have a passport."

In Ontario they have the same "high security" capable license.

The customs people can read you card before you even get to the booth and without even seeing it but the problem is so can others.... :eek:

"That's $75 for 5 years. There's an extra $35 if you want the high-security one we will need next month to enter the USA, if you don't have a passport."

In Ontario they have the same "high security" capable license.

The customs people can read you card before you even get to the booth and without even seeing it but the problem is so can others.... :eek:

Really, that IS scary. I often joke about "When we all get the chip implanted in our temple", but it's really not a joke. Something like that is likely to occur, on a regular basis, in my lifetime. Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "being on line". :eek:

Francois_Dumas

Oh you have a choice: learn, work and pay and be 'let in on it'.... or move on and WALK ! :rofl:

Alberta went back to b&w photos on their new version of the high tech license. I wonder why?

Ken--

I may have the answer . . . and it's kind of weird: Government agencies are increasingly opting for IDs that incorporate laser-engraved images in an effort to reduce counterfeits. Apparently these engravers can only produce black and white images: like in Virginia.

Archived