IGNORED

Seat Upholstery

MrHondamatic

MrHondamatic

We just noticed, that my recently aquired 96 RT has mis-matched vinyl on the seat. The driver's section is a slightly coarse grain, while the passenger section is very finely grained, to the point of almost appearing smooth. My wife pointed this oout after her first ride, as she was sliding around a bit, and was wondering why.

My first thought was, someone has swapped out one of the sections, with one off a different year RT. If that's the case, I'll be looking for a rear piece that matches my front section.

Any other owners want to chime in?

Dave,

A previous owner may have had a custom seat made up. Take the seats off and look underneath the seat pans to see if there are any names or marks that indicate and aftermarket modification.

You may be better off to get the seats recovered.

MrHondamatic

The covers both appear to be factory, based on the stapling used to attach the covers to the pans, and the fit and finish on the bottom sides. I do have some wear starting to show on the driver's seat near some stiching, so having the seats redone (Kontour?) is an option. I do upholstery, so recovering is not a big deal, but the thrifty person inside me wants to wait until things are much worse off.

I have a 2004/RT that I purchased new. I noticed the same thing when I picked it up and was receiving my first dose of Koolaid from the salesperson.

They just shrugged it off and I've lived with it for about 5 1/2 years now. :grin:

Maybe because the original dealer swapped a low seat for a regular seat before delivery :S

RT has mis-matched vinyl on the seat.

What you have is a perfectly stock seat set up.

Why the brain trust at BMW did it that way is a mystery...

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

re: receiving my first dose of Koolaid from the salesperson

can someone explain the 'kool-aid" thing?

what does it mean?

themagicone

I'm having my seat redone for $125-$150. Original owner had Bill Mayer redo the seat when he first bought it. After 14 years the padding is gone so the shop is going to refoam it. Also they going to patch in some new leather that is slighty tacky so I don't slide forward on the seat. It will be mismatched from the rest of the seat and the rear seat but it will be comfortable.

We just noticed, that my recently aquired 96 RT has mis-matched vinyl on the seat.

Have you got the larger 'comfort seat' fitted? This was a extra on the R1100RT, but standard on the R1150RT. This has coarser texture to the pillion seat.

Andy

MrHondamatic
We just noticed, that my recently aquired 96 RT has mis-matched vinyl on the seat.

Have you got the larger 'comfort seat' fitted? This was a extra on the R1100RT, but standard on the R1150RT. This has coarser texture to the pillion seat.

Andy

I have no idea what seat is on it. They both have BMW part numbers on the bases, and are factory covers. Other than that, I have no idea.

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

thanks ltljohn.good link for the apprisal of interesting common vernacular. may i say u be the 'bomb shizzle' :)

Just to set the facts straight (as if it really matters),it was Flavor Aid at Jonestown, not Kool Aid.

4wheeldog
Just to set the facts straight (as if it really matters),it was Flavor Aid at Jonestown, not Kool Aid.

Damn, and I thought it was cyanide.

Archived