IGNORED

Tires again

markgoodrich

markgoodrich

I know, I know, this topic gets discussed to death, but I gotta figure out something. Because I ride two up so much, often loaded with luggage, I'm burning through rear tires in 3,000 miles (literally). Front tires are a little better, but still wear out quickly.

I've been running Dunlop Roadsmarts, great tires, but they square off in a hurry when two up, and as I said, are down to the wear bars in 3,000 miles.

I don't want to switch to a different size, such as the ME 880s some use.

If you don't ride two up a lot, your experience with tires won't really apply....

Suggestions?

Sorry I don't ride 2-up but I do ride with full luggage and I evaluate all my tires critically. I can say that so far the Pilot Road 2's have had the best result as far as resisting profile 'squaring'. They have adequate traction and reasonable performance.

I have moved on to a higher performance tire now (BT016), but I would start my search there if you are mainly interested in long life profile.

JT

PS: here is my Pilot Road 2 review

Mark,

What pressure are you running? I do a lot of 2 up and after switching to Road Smarts I've already exceeded every other tire I've tried. I've been running 42 in the back.

I weigh 300 lbs. My pillion thankfully weighs only about 140. I ride with a lot of stuff. When alone side cases are typically full of tools, gear, water, lunch, etc. When two up same deal plus a full top case too.

Based on this, I think I'm two up all the time, three up when I have a pillion!

I was changing PR2s every 6k with some squaring. They make a special B fitment for the rear for folks with run two up etc. most of the time. It's intended to last longer. Running that version I noticed that I ended up with a flat ridge about an inch wide in the middle of the rear, and the sides were worn more. I like curves. :-)

I'm currently running Roadsmarts for the first time with about 4k. They are squaring somewhat, but I've had to do more slab than usual on this set. I like the wear pattern on these tires. I don't like the way they feel. I've been surprised on several occasions with little slips on the Roadsmarts, especially in the rain. I consider them to have less grip in all cases than the PR2s.

I'm 2k or so from new tires, I'll likely try the Metzler Z6 Interact then if they are available.

I run everything at 42/36. I've run 44/38 and don't like the way it feels, especially the 38.

markgoodrich
Mark,

What pressure are you running? I do a lot of 2 up and after switching to Road Smarts I've already exceeded every other tire I've tried. I've been running 42 in the back.

Yeah, I run 42 as well. If I'm off solo to the back roads, I reduce to 36/32, but this current set has hardly any miles solo/back roads (I run 42 solo for highway riding).

Fightingpiper

My last two rear tires were the regular pilot roads. First got 8k and I just burned this one up at 6k from mosley slab to and from the BRR. Yesterday I ordered the B fitment PR2's since I am a 300#'er. I hope to get a few more miles out of them for the extra $30 I paid for the B fitment.

Dave_in_TX

Mark, I really think you should consider the ME880 for the rear. It's not that much of a size difference, particularly on a 5.5 inch rim like the RT. They don't square off nearly as much as the other tires I've used and they certaqinly last a lot longer. I've also had a D202, a Roadsmart, two PRs, and a PR2 on the rear. The D202 was good for 3500 miles, the others went about 5500-6500 miles. The ME880 rears are lasting me 9.5-10k miles.

markgoodrich

I'm going to give the PR2 B a try on the rear. Front Roadsmart is good for a lot more miles.

I've gone through four or five ME880 rear tires; every one squared off badly, and only one lasted more than 9000 miles. The tread blocks also howl when they near the end of their lives. I'm done with Metzelers.

I love tire threads almost as much as oil threads.

I'll admit, there may be some good info to be gleaned, but so much comes down to personal riding style and expectations.

markgoodrich
I love tire threads almost as much as oil threads.

I'll admit, there may be some good info to be gleaned, but so much comes down to personal riding style and expectations.

I know, I know, but I was hoping....

Dave_in_TX
I've gone through four or five ME880 rear tires; every one squared off badly, and only one lasted more than 9000 miles. The tread blocks also howl when they near the end of their lives. I'm done with Metzelers.

That's completely different from my experience with ME880s. None of them have squared off significantly and they've been quieter than Pilot Roads. Every one of them lasted for over 9K miles when everything else I tried lasted les then 6.5K

NJRTrider

08 RT here riding mostly two-up with the top case. Me 220lbs- Her 130lbs. Tire press 36F/42R. Conservative riding style with her on board- but no chicken strips - smooth, non-whiplash take-offs and easy braking up to red lights.

Some squaring off on Metzeler Z6 - it lasted 7500 miles - it would have lasted another 500 miles but I picked up a large nail and just replaced it.

Hope this helps....

I know, I know, this topic gets discussed to death, but I gotta figure out something. Because I ride two up so much, often loaded with luggage, I'm burning through rear tires in 3,000 miles (literally). Front tires are a little better, but still wear out quickly.

I've been running Dunlop Roadsmarts, great tires, but they square off in a hurry when two up, and as I said, are down to the wear bars in 3,000 miles.

I don't want to switch to a different size, such as the ME 880s some use.

If you don't ride two up a lot, your experience with tires won't really apply....

Suggestions?

You're not alone Mark, I have 37k on my bike and I've never gotten more than 5k miles out of a radial tire, front or rear. I recently removed a set of Roadsmarts with 3385 miles on them and they were well past their wear bars.

attachment.php?attachmentid=16822&stc=1&d=1237768579

The Roadsmarts were great on wet roads for the first 1k. The last 1k, the front wheel steered like a sled in mud and rear wheel traction on twisties was downright exciting. A friend who has a much smoother and gentler riding style got about 500 miles more than I did out of his set. We're not impressed with Dunlop Roadsmarts.

1LIFE2LIVE

The Avon Storms are worth a try and for the 1st 2mm of wear they are the ONLY Tire Manufacturer that warrantees them for "Road Hazard" (Nails/Flats, etc.) issues. I had the unfortunate experience of getting a puncture in the 1st 900 miles and got it replaced NO questions asked for FREE = NICE.

I choose them after doing lot's of research and reading countless testimonials; I've been quite satisfied with overall performance (dry/wet) and tire longevity (8k) very good overall tire IMO.

The roads and your technique of braking/accelerating.

Lots of 2 up, get 8k on Z-6's and change them because I want to not because I have to.

Solution, move to where the roads are kinder.

Otherwise, your probably going to have to ride differently (slower, smoother acc/braking) to get more mileage.

Best wishes.

PS 42/40 is what I run all the time.

Archived