IGNORED

1150rt Pinging Report + Denso spark plugs

kingpinofdisks

kingpinofdisks

My RT will ping quite a bit on a hot day in 6th gear. I have heard that this isn't normal, and that my twinspark should not ping.

I have run Chevron Techron thru the tank 4 times, and done an Italian Tuneup at 135mph for 50 miles or so (gotta do that at 4am!) to clear up the carbon in the engine, but she was still pinging quite a bit (not as much as before).

I just switched to Denso SparkPlugs (IK22 and IKU24), and then ran the bike on the freeway in 4th and 5th gear (keeping around 6500 to 7000 rpm) for 152 miles (from San Diego to LA) on Saturday nite.

The next day, I took the bike up a nice, steep freeway grade in upper-90 degree heat, in 6th gear. I got it going 50mph, and then gave it max throttle in 6th. The bike was at 6 bars oil temp when I started this test, and I had the usual 91 octane in the tank.

There wasen't any pinging I could hear at all as the bike accelerated from 50 to 100 mph.

I will post again in a couple of months about the pinging, but I have high hopes that the Denso Plugs will help keep my bike from pinging, thus prolonging the life of the engine.

The next day, I took the bike up a nice, steep freeway grade in upper-90 degree heat, in 6th gear. I got it going 50mph, and then gave it max throttle in 6th

kingpinofdisks, max throttle at 50mph in sixth will not extend your engine life. That is a hideous thing to do to your engine, your lugging it terribly. Get going at least 70mph before you do that. That is just not good for it. You will also create more carbon build up which is one of the major causes of pinging! bncry.gif

kingpinofdisks

I do not do it on a regular basis - I only started at 50 mph because I wanted to perform the 'ping' test under horrible conditions for my engine. I have been using 6th above 75mph as of May (when everyone yelled at me for boggin my engine(.

Oh god, not more pinging, I love to read about pinging, I thought I was the king of the pingers. I have a 2002 R1150RT and I have done everything in the book to make it stop pinging, at least I thought I had, now I have to go out and buy those Denso spark plugs. It made my heart ping to learn that a twin sparker was pinging away. I just tried BG44K fuel treatment. let me see, at the advice of a Beamer dealer in ID, I have done the water torture treatment, about a quart of water through the old vacuum hose through each cylinder, Seafoam fuel treatment and a couple of others, Bosch 4417 plugs, Techlusion unit and it still pings like a banjo if I accelerate up an incline at under 4100 RPM,5th or 6th. Let me see, Techlusion unit, $150.00, keepin it above 4100 on acceleration, free. Where did you say you got those Denso plugs?? dopeslap.gif

Archived