IGNORED

Exhaust Mounting?

Woodie

So, I took off the headers/muffler yesterday.

I discovered:

header-muffler connection has a completely rusted bolt, which didn't matter since the exhaust was just "hanging" there, the bolt not doing anything.

The manual shows the exhaust connected to the center-stand assembly--mine isn't. That piece is completely missing from the cat, I can't even see mounting points?

Question:

When I reassemble, I will have ceramic coated headers. I presume a new clamp/bolt for the headers-muffler connection?

Do I need anything else?

Do you not have a hanger on the left side of the rear subframe? I thought there was a pin on the exhaust and a bolted rubberized hanger on the frame. The clamp just keeps it from moving, and the hanger supports it.

ianboydsnr

theres no connection to the centre stand, its just clamped to the downpipe collector and hung from the rear behined the footrest plate!

I just realized what he is talking about. On mine at least there was 2 rubber bushings that were either mounted to the center stand or bottom of engine and 2 tabs that the bushings ride against on the bottom front of the muffler. I think they just limit the side to side movement.

Is that what you mean Woodie?

Yes. The main weight is carried by the pin above the muffler on the left rear. The front was loosely held in place (not sealed).

And in the middle (the cat) there wasn't anything.

I compared to another 1100RT over the weekend, and his exhaust DID have those mounts at the CAT, so his exhaust wasn't loose/rattly the way mine was.

ianboydsnr

mine does not seem to have them, maybe they were removed on later models, mine is a 2000 models.

Archived